Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable: Movie Club General Discussion (read first post before posting)

28K views 71 replies 27 participants last post by  Crash7 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The purpose of this thread is to discuss Shaw's new Movie Club VOD Service.
As of June 7, 2011, this service is available to all Shaw customers with digital terminals in VOD-ready markets (excl. Ontario).
Updated service information is available in Post # 39:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1276197

#54 ·
But Movie Club at the moment sells for $5 less than Movie Central and you get 2 channels too (Movie Central 2 & Encore Avenue) + the VOD library. I think it is good if you are into VOD rather than the channels themselves. Especially if you are on the road a lot but still internet connected. Everything is based of licenses and how long they are for.

#58 ·
This was part of my complaint in #48. In Ontario we do not receive this option for the Movie Network despite the fact it is available through the Movie Network channels and I do not believe the delay in offering Movie Club to Ontario has anything to to do with staged rollouts - sorry Nanuuk.

#56 ·
I went through the SVOD listings on Shaw.ca , and I gathered the following info:

Movie Club has 146 titles total, consisting of:

- 32 SD movies only available to Club members
- 36 SD movies that available for $3.99 to non-Club members
- 50 HD movies that are available for $3.99/$4.99 to non-Club members
- no exclusive HD content
- 28 SD movies that are shared with Movie Central On Demand [half the MCOD library]
- 2 SD TV series that are shared with Movie Central On Demand [Spartacus & Dexter]

So, if someone like me is not interested in ordering SD VODs at all, Movie Club HD would only make sense if I order at least 4 HD catalog titles from Shaw's library, per month.

BTW, I already get EA2 and EAHD. Movie Club gives EA1 and MC2, right? Does Movie Club HD offer any additional channels [such as MCHD or HBOHD]?

#57 ·
AFAIK, Movie Club gives you 'Movie Club', nothing more. I don't get any more channels than I did before ordering Movie Club (I just double checked all of the movie channels before posting and they all show as 'subscription required', which I don't have). It's just a section of VOD from what I can tell. You get unlimited access to the movies they list each month for a low price.

The only reason I still have it is my girlfriend is watching movies on it while I am watching Nascar.;)

#59 ·
@Thunder, Movie Central and The Movie Network are 2 separate companies. Shaw developed a business strategy with Movie Central (which only serves western Canada) to offer certain movies on-demand without having to order the movie channels. There is no guarantee that TMN would even be receptive to such a deal.

#60 ·
Update

I did a chat session today after being told I should be getting MC2 as well as MCEA. I have always had EA but didn't get MC2 when I subscribed to 'the Club'. The agent took a little while to figure it out but I now have MC2 as well.

#62 ·
there is still no way to get access to it on the older non gateway terminals
I hope that gets changed sometime soon

and I might be wrong about this but I was just looking through all of the available movies and it seems like everything in there is now stuff that has movie central still airs or has aired not to long ago

when it first started I seem to remember there being lots of older non movie central stuff on it

so it kind of seems like this new Shaw Movie Club powered by Movie Central is really just movie central on demand but with more movies

#64 ·
Tis true!

Movie Club has evolved through feedback, Shaw is now offering it FREE as a bonus add on for anyone who subscribes to the Movie Central package.
  • Anyone that was paying $3 for it won't anymore. We are pulling all the accounts and auto correcting them.
  • HD offerings/plans are still under way with no current ETA.
  • Movie Club is also available for $12/month for those who want to VOD portion only - but not the Movie Central package with the channels @ $17/month.

To recap; Subscription to Movie Central will provide the customer with the same content that is available in the Movie Club; content accessible through the Movie Central section of the VOD menu on their Set Top or on the VOD section of Shaw Website for order to Set Top or to view online (online viewing anywhere does contribute to internet Data Plans, ordering though the website is just another delivery platform)

#68 ·
Movie Club error messages

So where does one go to get explanations for the Movie Club messages?

We loaded up a movie (3 in fact) Monday evening (Aug 15th) after signing up earlier that day and have still been unsuccessful in getting any kind of explanation as to what the error means and after spending 3 calls of 1/2 hour, 1/2 hour and 1 hour on hold with Shaw trying unsuccessfully to get through.

I appreciate it's a new Shaw product but we have looked all over the Shaw website trying to find either a FAQ or a list of error messages and their phone support unfortunately is a bad joke.

A basic FAQ would likely have sorted out our probably but sub-standard documentation coupled with zero phone support makes our experience nothing short of disgusting - and I have been a high-speed internet customer for 15 years.

The specific error we care about is 33629 but there is no doubt in my mind that if I were NOT a long-term internet customer we would be talking disconnection at this point.

#69 ·
33629 : No Transmittion Session ID could be read from test tune stream. Basically means it could not connect to the system and stream this video to you as it could not create the path properly and failed connection. Has VOD ever worked for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.