Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

ebook reader for a senior

7K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Francois Caron 
#1 ·
I am contemplating buying my 65 year old mom an ebook reader as she reads a ton of books. She can work her ipod but that is the extent of her PC knowledge.

Has anybody tried an ebook reader as a gift for an older, but serious, book reader? What were the results? Did it just collect dust and never get used?

Any advice for an easy to use one for her? How easy is integration with a public library and do they offer any support assistance on using or would she be on her own?
(She specially would use the Aurora Public Library north of Toronto).

#2 ·
Difficult Question

I would first check with the various libraries in your area to see if any of them support e-readers, and if so: which ones, how many books, how to get book onto e-reader, and so on.

Personally, I use a Kindle and buy most of my books from Amazon via my computer. They are delivered to me via wi-fi. It is easy to buy books and very easy to read them. Truly, this is a wonderful gadget for me. Saves money too.

However, the Vancouver Public library does not support the Kindle format. It may support other formats -- there are dozens of formats -- but I'm not much interested in format wars. The format wars pretty soon degenerate into the technicalities of format conversions, which gets ugly really fast.

The library question is not an easy question. I am not sure that there is an equivalent e-reader process to the "borrow a physical book" process. I.E. go to library, drop off old book, choose new book, hand over book and card, take book home, read book. Repeat.

BTW, I'm 67. The problem is not one of age, but rather one of being interested in learning new things. Some people do it all their lives; others rarely ever do; most are somewhere in the middle.

#4 ·
As mentioned above, you need to check what's available from the specific library. I'm not sure, but if she can join Toronto Public Library, they have a large selection (ePub).

My wife has a Sony reader and downloads several books each week - she's an avid reader. You can also reserve e-books and they send you an e-mail once available - you then login to the library website and download.

The process of setting this all up requires several steps - registering with the library. Downloading the book onto a computer (to Reader Library software), transferring the book to the reader (USB). The books are good for up to 3 weeks from the library and cannot be renewed. When they "expire" they cannot be read (DRM), however, you could probably download again if available. An avid reader has no issues with 3 weeks. My wife doesn't buy any books, only "borrows" from the library. My brother and his wife use the same process, although they probably read a bit less. They also have Sony readers that they purchased used. The people mentioned are 59 to 70 years old...

Other e-readers may be compatible with libraries in the future. The person needs to be motivated to do this and as mentioned in post 2, age is not really the factor. A knowledge of how to use the internet is probably necessary.

Edit - soon (some) readers with WiFi or 3G will not require a computer to download from the library.

#5 ·
My process would be very similar to 57's.

I have a Mk1 Kobo. Guelph Library has Ebooks. Their system allows download to Adobe Digital Editions ( also freeware) and then to the Kobo with DRM and the Library's 3 week checkout enforced. Unfortunately their licencing is for a specific number of books and so one may as well put a hold on the real book as it takes just as long to get the Ebook.

I buy most of my Ebooks in non-DRM Epub format from Webscriptions( Classic science fiction). Download into Calibre ( freeware for Windows and Linux maybe Mac) and then to the Kobo.

When I wish to actually OWN a book I admit I prefer the proper dead tree hardcover edition.

So to ClarkNova. Does your mother have a PC with a 'net connection to get to the library to download Ebooks? If she does then would that process as outlined by me and 57 be too complex for her? Or does her library have the capability of taking the reader in and downloading directly?

#6 ·
In my experience, the Kindle has the simplest and friendliest user interface, but you can't use library books so you'd have to be willing to buy everything you read.

The Aurora Public Library uses Overdrive for their eBooks. Amazon and Overdrive have been working together to offer Overdrive content on Kindles, but for the moment that functionality isn't available in Canada.

In the meantime, APL supports Kobo and Sony eReaders, as well as iPads. There are guides here. Note that Kobo and Sony eReaders require use of a PC to transfer the books, while the iPad does not. If she doesn't have a PC, that may affect your decision.

You may wish to visit APL and speak to staff. Some libraries have staff who are familiar with the technology and may be able to help and offer advice. Some have no idea and you will be on your own. It's usually pretty hit or miss; libraries don't usually offer training on eReaders yet so if staff know how it works it's usually incidental knowledge. You may also want to check and see if their public access computers are compatible, if you're hoping to use those.

A Toronto Public Library membership, as 57 suggested, requires that you live, work, or go to school in the city of Toronto. If you can get TPL access, they have a very large and growing database of eBooks.

#7 ·
Thanks all. I contacted her library and they see a lot of KOBO's and Sony eReaders. Beginning in January they will offer, by appointment, training on how to use and download. That is a big, big plus as I have never done so and not close to help her out. The libary has three options for downloading and indicated 'OverDrive' (?) was their most popular.

Thanks for the ipad suggestion but I think that would be a bit big for her.

I think I will have to be a bit more direct and ask her straight up if she wants one. She has never mentioned it but I think it would be good gift.

Apologies for inferring her age as a hindrance, you are all right - that shouldn't matter!

#9 ·
Kobo VS Sony

We are seniors . We bought a Sony reader for my wife (technichly challenged) She liked it but found the range of books limited. I bought a Kobo wi fi. Wide range of books ....lots of newest releases. She liked the Kobo better for its light weight, She gave thr Sony to our daughter and we bought a KObo VOX for her. A bit heavier but good interface for wifi buying of books, Abonus is pics of the grand children can be loaded onto it. As for the library .....I have borrowed books from KIngston library .....there may be a waiting list......they use Adobe Digital Editions as software. Bottom line is we like Kobo for ease of use and wide availability of nooks. We are 67. I am the techie in the family

#10 ·
Reader for Senior

Hi

I'd like to weigh in on this one. I'm not a senior.

I have been using an older model Sony for 4 years now. My local library supports epub (sony and Kobo , NOT kindle). I have heard Kindle is working out a deal and changing its model to be more accommodating but i'm not sure where that is.

In May I bought a Kobo Touch for my daughter and last week the same for her mother. Its my understanding that the Kobo touch and the new Sony T1 both use wifi so a pc is not technically needed but would certainly make it easier to download from a library. So that's 3 readers I have purchased.
Today I bought a 4th - a Sony T1 for my 85 year old mom. Shes very arthritic. I bought the T1 as its one of the lightest and the touch technology is very good. I am hoping this will worjk for her.

FS had the "lighted" case for a great price ($40) so i bought that as well. Another reason I bought the T1 is that in addition to reading my mom loves music. But her arthritic hands cannot work any cd player i bought her . The T1 has a built in mp3 player that I am hoping she will be able to use.

Another recommendation i will make, regardless of the reader (and presuming you have a pc) - is to download software called Calibre. Use it to store all your books and it will allow for very easy method to get your books onto your reader. It will also clean up the titles, allow for conversions and many other things.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions let us know.

#12 ·
I'm giving my 78 year old mom a KOBO I picked up at Walmart a few days ago... it was the last one they had in stock so it seems to be a big hit this year!. My mom is always buying books... she's often asked me about book readers so I know she's going to love the thing when she gets her hands on it!

As for an iPad well I have one myself and love it but it's not ideal for someone my mom's age to be using just to read books... it's way to heavy and big to hold for long periods of time.... the KOBO is so light weight and small... it's just like a book. I think she's going to love it... it's also got wifi so it's connected all the time making it simple to use and to buy new books.

#13 ·
But two of the playbooks - one for you and for your mom. Kobo reader and video chat for $200? Steal of the season unless you know someone from RIM who would sell you his/hers for $100.:D

This is what I did for my parents (over 80 years old) and they've discovered youtube too for watching things from years past. Yet another bonus.

Now they video chat me every few days.

#17 ·
^^^^
I assume you mean Adobe Digital Editions, which many libraries use. Those books have DRM on them and something is needed to manage it. On tablets & smart phones, Adobe Overdrive is used. As for using the software, once I download the book, I can open ADE and either read the book there or copy it over to my Kobo reader. Using Overdrive, I can download library books directly to my Android phone.

#18 ·
Right. Adobe Digital Editions. I'm still learning the terminology. :)

However, I'm already seeing another disappointing format war emerging, similar to Beta vs VHS, Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD. If the different manufacturers don't figure out how to make the process of borrowing a book from a library as simple as possible, reducing it down to the library transmitting the book you've reserved directly to your ebook reader, people might start searching for alternate sources of reading material that doesn't make them jump over a bunch of hurdles to get them, and that the libraries, the device manufacturers and the publishing houses might not appreciate so much.

A few quick notes on the Kindle 4. While you can't use it to borrow a library book yet, the hardware is very light and very well designed, with very few buttons and confusing features. The Kindle also has a decent selection of text formats and configurations to choose from, which will definitely be useful to anyone with vision problems.

You can also transmit common document formats and even pictures to the device by emailing them to your Amazon Kindle email account. Amazon will automatically convert the file to the Kindle format if it can, and leave a copy of the file in your cloud storage.

The one major annoyance however is that you can't jump from one picture to another because they're treated as separate documents, requiring you to go back to the home screen to choose the next picture. Granted, the Kindle isn't really a picture viewer, but it's still annoying that the ability to flip from one image to another isn't properly supported.

#19 ·
^^^^
As far as I know, the only way to get library books is to use the Adobe software, so in that respect, all readers that are capable of using library books use the same methods. As mentioned, Android devices (and I believe Apple products) can also download directly to the device, instead of copying from a computer. When I get a book from the library, I use an ordinary browser to make my selection and download it. I then open up Adobe Digital Editions (or Overdrive on my phone) to access the book. Once in ADE, it's a simple matter to copy the book to my Kobo.

#21 ·
Almost forgot to mention. The release of the Kindle in stores seems to have had a bit of an effect on the price of competing readers. Already at Staples/Bureau En Gros, a Sony reader is now available for $97, and a Kobo reader is now available for $89. Yes, these might be Boxing Week specials for end-of-line models, but seeing them priced UNDER the $119 price of the Kindle (which ISN'T on special) definitely hasn't gone unnoticed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.