Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Need some recommendations on 3-ch amp

8K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  gfong 
#1 ·
I Would like to ad a 3ch amp to my system for my front 3 and would appreciate some recommendations. I am new to amps and don't know which brands are available to us Canadians. Most of my online pals keep recommending Emotiva but I'm uneasy about ordering something like that over the border just in case I run into warranty issues.

For those who would ask if there is something lacking currently that makes me feel I need more power, my answer is not really. I have basically had a good season and am in a position where I have some "me" cash and this is what I would like to do.

System:
Pioneer VSX-32
Klipsch RF-82 L/R
Klipsch RC-62 C
Klipsch RS 42's Surround & Heights

Recommend away! :)

Thanks

#2 ·
Just wanted to comment on Emotiva as I'm looking for a dedicated CD player. I've pretty well removed Emotiva from the list, firstly because while shipping in the U.S. is free, they add close to $100 to the price for duty, brokerage, etc. The five year warranty is good but if you are outside the U.S., they expect you to pay shipping BOTH ways.

I'm currently in the process of updating my 2 channel system so unfortunately can't give you any meaningful suggestions on that end.

#3 ·
Look at Bryston, Classe, Rotel, Marantz, Krell and Anthem. I know some of them may not offer a 3 channel power amp but they do offer 2 and 5 channel as well as Mono blocks. Personally I would look into the Bryston Classe, or Marantz. A couple friends of mine have Rotels with B&W speakers and are disapointed with the sound and wish they had purchased a Bryston or Classe instead.

I know Bryston is Canadian and I am pretty sure Marantz is also Canadian. Rotel Classe and Krell are all european but are all very good products.

#5 ·
I know Bryston is Canadian and I am pretty sure Marantz is also Canadian. Rotel Classe and Krell are all european but are all very good products.
I would add NAD and Anthem to that list. I know Anthem has 3 ch amps.

Marantz was originally American, formed by Saul B. Marantz, but is now owned by Marantz Japan which is part of D&M Holdings (Denon and Marantz, who also own McIntosh and Boston Acoustics). As an owner of a Marantz receiver, I can say it is the best out of the 4 receivers (1 sony, 2 denon) I have owned over my HT years, but I do not think they have a 3 ch amp.

#8 ·
starchoice Bryston is frightfully expensive. Do you have a price range?
Yes this is true but there is no other company out there (that I know of) that is offering a 20yr warranty on their products, and in some cases lifetime. Although no one now a days keeps their equipment for 20 years, even if you have it for 10 and something goes wrong you are out the shipping costs to and from Peterborough and an amp for a couple weeks rather than out another $1500 for a new amp.

#9 ·
A well made amp can last 20 years or more. For an amp, it's not a bad deal since (so far) the technology has not changed. It's still basically analog in, analog out, though digital amplifiers are starting to appear. The preamp is where the major changes take place. In the last 10 years we've seen DD5.1, DTS, component video, DVI, HDMI, HDCP and several lossless audio formats appear. New audio and video standards are already in the works so it isn't going to stop soon. Amplifier and speaker technologies are still basically the same as they were 50 years ago, though improvements in materials and design have made significant improvements in performance.

#10 ·
I would look at used as well.

I found a awesome Audio Refinement (YBA) Multi-3 on canuck audio mart for a great price. It's an fantastic piece of equipment and I'm using it in the exact same fashion you're thinking of (powering the front stage and letting my AVR (also the VSX-32) to amp the surrounds).

So I would obviously add the Audio Refinement Multi-3 to your search. As well, ATI makes a few of their products in three-channel versions. I think there's an 1800 series (AT1803) and a 2000 series version as well (AT2003).

#13 ·
A well made amp can last 20 years or more. For an amp, it's not a bad deal since (so far) the technology has not changed. It's still basically analog in, analog out, though digital amplifiers are starting to appear. The preamp is where the major changes take place. In the last 10 years we've seen DD5.1, DTS, component video, DVI, HDMI, HDCP and several lossless audio formats appear. New audio and video standards are already in the works so it isn't going to stop soon. Amplifier and speaker technologies are still basically the same as they were 50 years ago, though improvements in materials and design have made significant improvements in performance.

#14 ·
I don't think that you'll be able to beat the value of this Emotiva amp.

I don't know how reliable over time the Emo amps will be. The oldest amp I have (UPA-7) has been in use for only about a year - Nov 2009 - when I sold the Anthem MCA-50.

I had to send back the Anthem for warranty repairs after 3 years. My dealer charged me $30 to split shipping with them.

It looks like there's a UPS store in Port Angeles, Washington close to the ferry. Even with HST, UPS store charge $5, exchange rate, credit card charges 2.5%, +$150 for ferry and a 24-pack, you'd "only" be out about C$823.98. :)

Never mind, I just saw this in CAM. I'd get this if I were you.:D

#16 ·
Emo units are excellent value. Performance wise, and most importantly sonically, I don't think they are in the league of the other stuff mentioned in this thread (Bryston, Classe, YBA, and Anthem), but the value proposition is hard to beat for a new amp.

However, used, I would look at much better products that can be had at places like CAM for what amount to better value for your purchase.

#17 ·
I really appreciate everyone's participation in this topic. You've all given me a good head start.. Now comes the fun part of researching and comparing prices.:eek:

At the end of the day, unless I can find a good deal locally, I will probably seek the used market. I agree that is probably the best bang for my buck option.

#18 ·
If you are in no hurry there might be some great deals after New Years. Just make a list of amps you would buy and then watch for the deals. Also ask the shops if they have any left over gear (that one piece that never sold). I've been able to find the odd piece of equipment marked down by 50% sometimes this way and it still comes with a full warranty.

Also echoing that finding a good 5 channel amp might be easier and then you can use the last 2 channels for a second zone if you wish.

Adding to the list of brands: Parasound/Halo

#19 ·
At the end of the day, unless I can find a good deal locally, I will probably seek the used market. I agree that is probably the best bang for my buck option.
yes ..as noted earlier, a well made amp will last for years. purchasing used amp would be a good option (depending on amp condition, in relation to price, usage environment ..etc.)

wouldn't hurt to have a look on CAM ..and Audiogon, if you didn't mind shipping across the border; or for that matter driving down to Seattle for example. your options, selection will rise. There's a couple of tricks to ship across border re: customs, some go for it .. others don't. Or just search, make contact ..and drive to reasonably close offerings (no one has to know..ha!)

that being said, there's a Classe CAV-75 for sale on CAM in your coordinates. (produced, admin'ed out of Lachine, Que .. FWIW) i don't know if it's a good (or great) deal...but you can check blue book ..condition/shape obviously ..etc.. (you know)

#20 ·
Listed for 10 days so far with 252 views and no takers. Sometimes I think there is more hype on this equipment than anything else.

Warranty repairs would cost way more than $30 for shipping for this unit.
I fully agree with your comments. IMO, the OP is better off with a good renowned brand in the used market pick-up locally than any emotiva products. Emotiva would be my last resort and it better be dirt cheap! I can not see sending one of them back under warranty, the cost of transport defeats the purpose of warranty no matter how good it is.

Emo units are excellent value.
Definitely NOT in CANADA!!!

#22 ·
I agree that it would be a pain to return something for warranty work. It was a pain when I had to do it with the Anthem MCA-50. I had to plug and reconnect speakers to the receiver and back after the work which took about three weeks.

Just giving the OP the option of another company. I'm happy to have found Emotiva last year through another forum.

Finally, for the price of one Anthem MCA-50, you can almost get five Emo monoblocks - UPA-1s (I have three for the LCR right now), delivered to Port Angeles, Washington (near the OP). With monos, you're only out one channel at a time and since these are lighter, shipping should be cheaper.:)

#23 ·
Below are some Canadian manufacturers some may be pertinent others may not be however, it provides you some pointers to buy some equipment of good quality that should be painless when in need of service

Amplifiers

Anthem - Anthem Audio
Bent Audio - BentAudio.com
Blue Circle Audio - Blue Circle Audio
Bryston - Bryston Limited
Classé - Classé Audio
EMM Labs - EMM Labs
Linar Audio - Linar Audio
Magnum Dynalab - Magnum Dynalab Tuners
Morrison - http://www.surpher.com/MORRISON Highend/
NAD Electronics - NAD
Oracle Audio - Oracle Audio
Rix Rax - Rix Rax...Highend Racks
Simaudio - MOON by Simaudio Ltd
Tenor Audio - http://www.tenoraudio.com/
Virtual Dynamics - Virtual Dynamics
Wytech Labs - Wyetech Labs

Courtesy - AVSforum

#47 ·
TECHNOKID, Thank you for posting that list of Canadian manufacturers. I have been spending as much time as I can the last # of days and you have definitely made things speedier for me. Much appreciated.
Like one of our fellow members mentioned, we sure do take it hard up the you know what here in Canada. Makes it hard to over look cross-border shopping.

#24 ·
My comment as to Emo's value was strictly as a new product purchase. I wasn't factoring in potential warranty issues (I've only ever had one power amp failure and that was a 20 year old SAE finally giving up the ghost a few years ago). That said, Emo would never be a purchase consideration on my part because there are so many better products around.

TK's list is excellent.

#25 ·
I've got a XPA-3 running a pair of Paradigm Signature S6's and it's a clean, detailed and dynamic amp. I'm also in Canada and looking to upgrade to their XPA-2, at over 300 wpc. I've had no regrets and no issues. I once had to return an Adcom product that I purchased out of New York. I simply got an RMA online from them, then drove across the line and shipped it back, their cost. Since the OP lives in Van, Blaine would also be a fairly close shipping point.

I can understand some of the reluctance expressed with buying stateside or from Emotiva, but it's all I do now. Canadian prices are ridiculous, and I got tired of getting ripped off. My Onkyo 876 was $2000 in Canada, I bought it from *********** for $993. Why should we pay a Canadian retailer an extra 7-800 bucks?

#26 ·
I see Onkyo equipment discounted by about 40% all the time. The markup on them must be exceptionally high at the retail level, compared to other makes.

I must say I was astounded by the low prices on Emotiva equipment. I've seen similar equipment from Canadian companies selling for 3 times the price. (Prices were lower but went up about 50% after the good reviews came out.) Provided the build quality is there, and it appears to be, I would have no trouble buying cross border. Amps typically do not fail under warranty. It would be nice if Emotiva had an authorized Canadian repair depot though. If the worst happens, it could be repaired locally. Even if a unit needs to be repaired or replaced on my nickel, it's still cheaper than buying some competing brands.

#27 ·
Sure, it's cheaper, it's an internet company - reduced overhead.

You pays your monies and you takes your chances. You do not need an amp failure. You can have minor issues requiring fixing. I bought an Anthem and there were two different issues on two brand new units. It happens with the best of equipment.

I've been reading on some other forums and one guy bought the Emotiva CD player and the CD would not eject.

I'm sure the majority of units are fine but you are taking a chance nonetheless. I wouldn't want to get a unit repaired locally by some guy not familiar with the equipment (perhaps voiding the warranty) and would likely run me a minimum of $100 just to have it checked out.

Go with whatever you are comfortable with. It's not in my comfort zone.

#28 ·
I do find the Emotiva products attractive from both a technical/aesthetic/pricing perspective but the shipping overhead and lack of Cdn. service depots is certainly a deal breaker for me.

I also wonder if they actually make service manuals available should our local shops need it. The thought of repairs done by service personnel not trained in their products and without manuals certainly do not give me a warm feeling.

#29 ·
I got my XPA-3 Emotiva amp for about $675 all in. At 200 wpc, what could a locally bought amp be had for? Let's say $1700 all in. So I saved 1000 bucks right off the hop.

After 2 years I've not had to use the 5 yr warranty, but if I did, I might have to spend a little of that 1000 bucks to ship it to Tennessee. It's not a big deal and amps are not complicated at all. Emotiva will even ship parts to you if that will help. Any reputable amp tech could trouble shoot and fix an Emo amp 99% of the time.

But at the end of the day, if you'd feel better about buying local then you need to buy local.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.