Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Why not? (Recording using a DVR)

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rocknroller 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a technical answer to the following:

In utilizing a Mororola DCS 6416 or Tivo equivalent, it appears that these units are mandated to be used only with stipulated cable providers....i.e. Comcast, Charter, etc.

Also, I understand that certain other units are mandated to be used with satellite providers such as Direct Tv, Dish Network, etc.

It appears that pretty much all of these units are really good DVR's and I want to know if they can be programmed to simply perform as a DVD recorder without being required to use any propriatary software to function simply as a stand alone DVR.

In other words, I would like to be able to use the input connections to the unit to record with:

off the air antenna
playback from any other source such as a DVR, VCR
or whatever input to the unit that I want without any restriction.

Is the above possible with available software, or other hardware such as an A/V switcher... or possible with 3rd party software?

If so would you provide the name and description, and where I would find it.

I am relatively new to all the possibilities and options available, and would greatly appreciate a spoon-fed tutorial on how to accomplish this or an explanation of why it cannot be accomplished. I welcome any links to web sites or forums that would deal with scenarios like this.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.....rocknroller....

See less See more
#2 ·
Most of the dedicated PVRs cannot be used as stand-alone units. They need to be authorized by the service provider and they need to be connected to the cable line to work if on cable.

If you're looking to record HD, see the following post which discusses all the possibilities:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

If you're looking to record SD, then you could use a DVD recorder with or without HDD.

See also the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

For additional info on OTA, see the following section of this forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81 Start by reading the sticky FAQ/Knowledgebase.

#3 ·
Mostly becase the provider's DVR is made to record only the digital signal from the provider, and has to have their DVR features activated by a service tier as part of a a subscription.

I know of no alternative software for any provider's DVR.
The nearest I know is that DirecTV DVRs stock software can be hacked to be able to feed video to it over a network connection. Standalone Series 2/3 TiVo DVRs have that capability built in to its software, which get enabled when you subscribe to the TiVo service (becasue of that fact, you will not find help enabling those features on a Stanalone Series 2/3).

If you want to play around, yu are better off pursuing a PC based DVR.

If you want a ready to go non-provider DVR, get a TiVo and subscription, or a DVD recorder.

#4 ·
Thank you!

Many thanks to 57 and classicsat for your help.

Your advice saved many hours burning midnight oil trying to resolve this issue when the answer is relatively simple....use a pc based dvr or a stand alone unit that is comparable to a standard vcr. Hopefully someone will provide a way to utilize the high end units available, but not for the time being anyway.

I will gratefully heed your advice.

Thanks again....rocknroller...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.