Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

No Signal - Missing Channels - 6 October, 2011 (ANIK F2 Satellite Down)

41K views 134 replies 72 participants last post by  classicsat 
#1 ·
Started this thread so that people can report their findings rather than posting in various other threads...for the record, not getting any HD channels at this time myself....

#61 ·
"There was an issue on the spacecraft, and it went into safe mode," said John Flaherty, a spokesperson for Telesat, in an OBJ interview.

"It shut itself down and turned itself towards the sun. The solar arrays can keep the batteries charged, and nothing happens to the spacecraft. We've been in contact with the satellite and are in the process of essentially rebooting it."

Here on planet earth we call that a Blue Screen :p

#65 ·
I got this a bit earlier not sure how it well it will copy and paste

To accommodate customers and key events this evening (Montreal Canadiens vs. Toronto Maple Leafs and Les Auditions de Star Academie 2012), we have made five of our most popular channels accessible by alternate means. These channels will be available in the next few hours.
Available channels:
NAME
CHANNEL NUMBER
(Classic/Advanced)
CBC HD
292/300
RDS
750/750
RDS HD
240/382
TVA HD
245/381
TVA Montreal
711/711
RDI on channel 730 and Teletoon French on 771 are unaffected by this outage.

#74 ·
Self serve on the web site is down as well. The channel remapping has messed up the subscription info and I want to do a receiver refresh. It's a no-go on that. What a mess.

#85 ·
Solar Flair??? I hope not

If this minor solar flair was the cause of the satalite failure, Wow telesat is in big trouble. we have had much stronger in the last month or two.

I follow the suns activity and aside from a respectable sunspot number of over 100 it is relatively quiet in the last few days and is unlikely the cause of the problem.

the CME (Corronal Mass Ejection) that was released by the comet diving into the sun was part of the cause of this minor storm but other solar flairs contributed as well.

If the actual solar flair hit the satellite, TV would be the least of our problems. rather than the flair itself its the result of a solar flair can hit a satellite and knock it out. the Gama/xray burst is the first damaging effect of a solar flair. this is a huge concern to those in space. this happens minutes after the actual flair.

The next event caused by a solar flair that can cause problems is the arrival of the plasma and sun matter released by the solar flair called a CME (Coronal Mass Ejection). This is usually a few days later. and is a major concern to satellites as his can knock out satellites and other space craft directly

Then the next worry is the geomagnetic storm that the arrival of a CME can set off. this is what causes most auroras and is what blacked out Quebec many years ago and in the 1859 superstorm severely damaged the telegraph system causing the lines and apparatus to burn melt and catch fire. If one of those hit us today we would be in it deep

The geomagnetic storm set off by the recent solar flair was mild. it set off some auroras in the polar regions to the delight of some photographers but had little effect otherwise.

The K index which is the measure of the magnetic storm maxed out at 5. and by no means a storm but merely minor disturbance. we have had much stronger in the last few months. we are only in the beginning of the current solar cycle so many more flairs to come. satellites are designed to handle solar flairs, and the resulting CME and storms and will withstand a solar flair and earth directed CME of multitudes stronger than the minor disturbance that we just had.

here is a link to the SWPC data for the last few days http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/kp_3d.html

here is another to a great resource for space weather info and solar activity
http://www/spaceweather.com

Sorry if this posting was a little geekish but the sun and its potential effects in us and our technology interests me.

#110 ·
If this minor solar flair was the cause of the satalite failure, Wow telesat is in big trouble. we have had much stronger in the last month or two.

<snip 'd for brevity>

Sorry if this posting was a little geekish but the sun and its potential effects in us and our technology interests me.
DMOES,

Could u repost that in English... You aren't supposed to post in Greek.

Thx,
P :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.