Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Precision Acoustics Subwoofer any good?

42K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  jscrimshaw 
#1 ·
:confused: hi,has any one heard of precision acoustics speakers? as i seen a subwoofer 12" for 300.00 dollars. thanks for the feed back

#2 ·
Best Buy sells Precision Acoustic speakers. They look rather similar to Quest ( not sure if they are the same company), that Future Shop sells. I haven't heard the PA sub, but I have a Quest sub, however, I have heard the sound quality is similar.
The Quest sub is better than nothing and originally I thought it sounded pretty good, but it fades rather quickly playing DVDs. I only paid $150 for the 10 inch-150 watt sub.
I would have to say that, it would be better to save a bit more and buy a better sub as I wound up doing anyway. I got an athena 12 inch, 800 watt BASH amplifier sub for $399. If you check Future Shop for web sales, you sometimes can pick up a bargan. That is if you buy from the big box stores. If you go to a dedicated HIFI shop, you probably can pick up even better bargains, with better quality components.
Give it a listen first before you lay any cash down and then decide if it will " do the job".

Colin

#5 ·
i have 2 front loud speakers (2HDc), center speaker and a 10" subwoofer (10HDw) Precision Acoustics. as for now i have no complain... i just bought them 2 weeks ago and for their prices i say they are good. i never really bargained for the price and i guess you can still get them cheaper if you can convince your seller. i bought them from BestBuy at these prices-Canadian currency and 14% tax not included: $239 for the front floor-tower loud speakers; $129 for the center speakers; and the subwoofer was "50% discounted" for $119-original price was $240.

i cranked the subwoofer's volume to 25% and it's awesome. my room is about 15'x12' with open one side to the kitchen, and my floor is shaking whenever those orc armies marching carrying those two hobbits. just to let you know-my receiver is yamaha HTR-594... these toys are not the best in the market but enough to satisfy my needs.

just to give you idea, i rate these speakers 8 out of 10 dude...

#6 ·
10" sub for $130

I got the same sub from Best Buy and the sound seems really good to me although I'm not really hardcore. The one thing that puzzles me is that there is an auto setting on the back which is supposed to power off the sub when there is no signal. Problem is, this does not seem to happen. Any thoughts? If no one has any ideas, is it a big deal if it stays powered up?

Thanks

#8 ·
I got the same sub from Best Buy and the sound seems really good to me although I'm not really hardcore. The one thing that puzzles me is that there is an auto setting on the back which is supposed to power off the sub when there is no signal. Problem is, this does not seem to happen. Any thoughts? If no one has any ideas, is it a big deal if it stays powered up?

Thanks
If you have small satellite speakers and your speakers are set to "Small", your sub will be getting a signal all the time as it is providing the bottom end that your satellite speakers cant provide. If you have tower speakers, there may be a setting on your receiver for "LFE" in which, the sub will only be used when an LFE signal is present then go to stand-by. Check to see if your receiver has this setting. I know on my receiver (H/K AVR 210) I have 2 settings.. LFE and LF-RF+SUB. My receiver is set to LFE as I have large tower speakers. You also might wanna check to see (If you have tower speakers) if your receivers FR and FL channels are set to small. If so, that would also explain why your sub will not go into stand-by

#7 · (Edited)
i have a friend that just bought a precision acoutics sub he's enjoying it. I had a precision acoutics center and it did it"s purpose.I think they make good starter speakers.They will give you the effect you need. But down the road your taste might change, theres some good canadaian companys that put out way better sounding subs and speakers for just a couple bucks more.paradigim has been puttin out a new line of subs out so last years models have been way down in price.I seen a pdr 10 sub go for roughly the same price as that precision acoustic sub your talking about(maybe 80 dollours more)and i'll tell you in the long run you'll be alote happier.i wish you the best,good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.