Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Transformers & Platinum 6 prints in Toronto Theaters

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Edwin 
#1 ·
Does anyone know which theaters in Toronto or the GTA has digital 3D projectors that can handle Micheal Bay's new Transformers movie, "Dark of the Moon" equipped for displaying the "Platinum 6" print technology. I went to Queensway Cineplex movie theater and asked the manager there and he said no. However, I have a strong feeling that he did not know what I was talking about even after explaining the technology to him. Please read the quote below from USA Today newspaper:

"To entice exhibitors, Bay offered to ship extra-bright "Platinum 6" prints of the film to any theater that could project in 6-foot lamberts, the brightest possible luminance for current projectors. About 2,000 of the 3,900 theaters qualified for the deluxe prints, Paramount says".

I just love the Transformers movie series and I have got to see this one as Michael Bay intended for movie goers to see it.

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
Update on post #1

Just called NORTH YORK - Empire Empress Walk 10 Cinemas and talked to Manager. He said that they are capable for Platinum 6 print film, however, they are not at this time certified. They are awaiting certification pending a visit from the certifying organization to make sure everything is done properly and works. This means they don't have the deluxe/special print edition of TF3, however, once certified the new Empire Extra auditorium will be able to project the Platinum 6 print films. In addition, the new Empire Extra auditorium has all new equipment so I think I will see TF3 at this theater because the way he described the specs I think I will the enjoy the experience at this location even though I won't be seing the special print edition.

If anyone else has any insider information where TF3 will being playing at a certified theater with the Platinum 6 deluxe print of TF3, please let me know.

Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
Update on post #1 & good news

Okay, this is funny. I'm replying to my own posts:

I just received another phone call from Empire Theater and yes they to do have Transformers 3 in the Platinum 6 delux prints. The Empire Extra 3D Theater is, after all, certified and capable for these special edition movie prints. That is great news. Now I will certainly go to Empire Theater to watch TF3.

I,m now so interested and hooked on Platinum 6 print delux movies that I now want to know if there other theaters that can project this special movie technology in the GTA. In USA today Michael Bay further stated that he feels that certain theaters were dimming their projector bulbs to save on energy and wear and tear and that this was hurting the directors way to express their artistic portrayal of their movies. I guess that Michael Bay doesn't want theaters tampering with his light output from the screen while watching his films and the P6P's enhances his visual artistic expression of TF3.

Thanks to the earlier poster that did state that Empire Theater had access to this print technology. I'm also wondering if Cineplex AVX theaters missed the boat on this technology or maybe their capable but did not receive the special print editions of TF3. Is there anyone out there that can confirm?

Thanks and happy TF3 viewing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.