Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

4100 won't activate/update itself

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  m3repair 
#1 ·
I have an odd problem with a 4100 which I got from a good friend of mine as a spare receiver for the basement, issue is, its free and clear from his account as it was a purchased receiver, so I got that covered, It was last on his account about 3-4 weeks ago so it shouldn't be out of date, It has the new smart card inside so thats good, (and yes check switch sees my 91/82 dish with SW44)

Its added to the account but I run into a big problem though, All my channels show in the guide so the receiver got the activation hit, but the issue is it keeps giving me errors about the smart card not having authorization and to wait or change channels, I have tried removing it from the account and adding it again with nothing ever solving the problem, I called again and she should it should work in a few hours but its been a few days and I confirmed that the software was up to date with the CSR and was told it should work but its been a few days and nothing....

Any ideas, the only thing I can think of is possibly adding it to someone else's account and see if it works because clearly something must be wrong with my account if it was working ok with its last owner (as mentioned above)

#3 ·
I should have mentioned that this was already done (both to check to see if software set to update automatically and as well multiple activation hits have been sent, I usally never have an issue just thought I gotta be missing something silly here

#4 ·
No it sounds like you have done everything at your end.

If I were to guess, it would be that the Card is not accepting the hits. I can only suggest asking for a new Card.

I take it you can see the barker channel, 198.?

#5 ·
That's the thing it seems it could just be me or my account it's the only thing I can think of Pinza, unless it has failed inside, To confirm I can see 198 of course (barker channel) but everything else gives me errors about not being authorized and needing to wait or channel up and down. Only thing I can think as a last ditch effort is to ask someone else to add it onto there account and see if it works or not (to bad I don't know anyone in my area)

#6 ·
I honestly don't have any ideas why this shouldn't work, and I have scratched my head as to what it can be, the only thing I noticed before and forgot to mention is when it does get its activation hit the channels show up and give the error message about needing to wait or to channel up and down, when its removed from the account the channels disappear but the message stays, (please wait or channel up and down)

How long can one scratch his head before he gets to the inside of his skull?
This should be so simple

#8 ·
Thanks Pinza for the response, I just called now and they said it is the current card, as for requesting a new one, they told me I would have to pay 100$ to get a new card, they are just as stumped to me as to why this happening, possible glitch in the system?? (pretty sure I heard correctly, was hard to understand the gentlemen)

#9 ·
Call back, and make sure that the card is paired with the receiver. You can have a current card, but it will not work if it is not matched with that receiver. This happened to me. I bought a 6100 that had the current card. I tried activating online, no luck. It was on my third call that the tech checked and noticed that the receiver was still matched to the old card.

#10 ·
I guess that is a possibility jayoldschool for sure, although I like to think that the Bell CSR's have done this already on each call. Nothing to loose though.

My thinking is that they should ship a Card for free.

#13 ·
Interesting Costa, I must have missed those....lol

I am normally one of the first to get it in the neck when there is a Receiver problem like that.....

Like the 5900's a couple of years ago, that came preloaded with Dish Software and therefore could never be used on Bell but that is for another thread.....

#14 ·
Bell had a batch of 4100's that simply would not activate, whether you waited 2 or 24 hours. Replacing the units resolved the problem, and it was the easiest solution. I would suggest keeping it plugged in atleast, you never know.
Can be account issue as well. This is the most hard to deal with as bell thinks everything is fine on their end. I had a case when neither customers receiver purchased in store nor a replacement I brought from warehouse (2 completely different models - 4100 and 3100) didn't work after putting them on the account. Excellent signal, free channels work fine and that's it, all the rest stations are still red colored in the channel guide.

#15 ·
Its most certainly possible, but at this point I am thinking that its just the 4100 and it just went bad, The funny thing is when I orginally posted, 2 weeks before that the reciever it self was working on another account, and after it sat for a bit before I activated it so its certainly possible it could have been an account issue but how do you even describe that to them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.