Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Multiswitch Discussions

215K views 389 replies 106 participants last post by  frenchophile 
#1 ·
When we ordered our 630 yesterday, our deal included the installation of a multiswitch. I'm not sure if it's the 4 X 8 or the 5 X 8. Anyway, I must admit, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of it is. We will have four lines when the installation is complete. My understanding from what I've read here is that you need all four lines to use the multiswitch. We will then have a 630, a 530 and a 505. That's why we received the multiswitch. So, let's say we plug in all three receivers. What is the benefit of this? We still only have the programming available on four separate feeds at the same time, right? It isn't like we suddenly have eight separate feeds available to us just because we have the multiswitch, right? So, in theory, we can record two things on the 630, one thing on the 530 and watch the other feed off the 530. That's four. What can the 505 do separately from this if it's plugged into the multiswitch? Do you understand what I'm asking? I know this may seem like a lame question, but honestly I don't understand it and the threads I've read don't clarify it for me. By the way, I'm also happy to read an explanatory thread. If someone knows of one, that would be great if you would paste in the thread.

The Hans

#155 ·
i use 1/4 inch and 3/8 shrink tube on my multis when installin outside for added protction first install the 14 on the line and move out of the way then install the 3/8th and screw terminations to switch then shrink, when shrunk slide the 1/4 in ch over that to ensure 100% weather resistance.

#156 ·
Xku lnbf install fix

if someone can tell me how to post a winrar flash drive link i have, I have received a program from shaw direct for installing this to receivers with a USB port. no more 10 -15 minute waits and corruptions.or visit G.Dubois installs on facebook and i will try to have it posted there.somehow. or leave an e-mail address there and i will mail it to you. takes no time whatsoever just read the readm me txt.

#157 ·
need more than 8 out

I have need of more than 8 out (I am planning 5 receivers in my new house, each requiring two lines in).

I currently own/use a 4x8 multi-switch provided by Shaw Direct (StarChoice) a number of years ago.

Is it possible to add a second 4x8 into the first (by using 4 lines out of the first switch and putting them into the 4 in on the second, thus creating a total of 12 out)?

I have tried to purchase a 4x16 - but the company I am dealing with is... uh, not as reputable as I would like (I just checked it out with the BBB and it has an 'F' for an evaluation :eek: ).

Thanks for any advice!

#158 ·
This will work fine...

I have need of more than 8 out (I am planning 5 receivers in my new house, each requiring two lines in).

I currently own/use a 4x8 multi-switch provided by Shaw Direct (StarChoice) a number of years ago.

Is it possible to add a second 4x8 into the first (by using 4 lines out of the first switch and putting them into the 4 in on the second, thus creating a total of 12 out)?

I have tried to purchase a 4x16 - but the company I am dealing with is... uh, not as reputable as I would like (I just checked it out with the BBB and it has an 'F' for an evaluation :eek: ).

Thanks for any advice!
No you cannot cascade multiswitches in the manner you describe. But there is a simple emthod and it's far cheaper to do it this way than a 4X16 unit. You need 2 multiswitches, and 4 two way, one port power passing high frequency splitters as per the picture below. (They don't have to be Eagle Aspen.)

I'd pull all 4 feeds from your Quad LNB inside the house, and mount all the devices on a piece of plywood. Then feed the output of the Multiswitches to any 16 Tuners / Recievers; or 8 PVR types.

The picture shows 5X8 multiswitches (the 5th input is for a regular antenna or RF input like High Speed Cable you want to multiplex onto the same cable system. You also don't need the Diplexer shown on the output of the left multiswitch before thr reciever => it's used to peel off the multiplexed signal connected on the 5th input on the 5X8 multiswitch).

But the rest of the wiring is the same for 4X8 multiswitches. Just make sure the "legs" are the same going into each multiswitch from each high frequency splitter (the 13V, 18V, 13V with 22KHz, and 18 with 22KHz). All Multiswitches are labled so it's pretty simple.

I hope this is helpful. :cool:

#159 ·
BRILLIANT!

Thanks for the best reply I've ever received in a forum question! Anywhere! :)

I have already run all wires into the utility room to be mounted on plywood near my electrical panel, so this installation should look very good!

Thanks again for the advice!

(If you have an outlet that you trust (especially if it's in Calgary), I would appreciate a PM. )

#163 ·
A little help...

Batman,

I'm a West Coaster so I typically buy bits and pieces here, or off the web and ship them to a mail drop just south of the Border. The US vendors have great prices from time to time. I snooped a bit for you around Calgary and found Calgary Satelitte

"CalgarySatellite.ca offers walk-in sales at 215 4th Street NE, Calgary, AB. See our entire product line-up and order online at www.CanadaSatellite.ca"

They offer a BGI 2 Way High Frequency Splitter 5-3000MHz (S3HD-2; 4 Pack) for $28 so I don't think it would be worthwhile using the Web.

If you need another multiswitch the best deal locally I found was at Princess Auto (don't laugh they have a great return policy). I bought a Philips SDW5058 Satellite Multiswitch for the Cabin (> $36) and it works flawlessly. (It's a 5X8 but you don't need to use the 5th input. => On the left in the Photo. I disconnected it later in the install.)

#160 ·
Multiswitch with Stacked LNBs

Does anyone have any experience with using a multiswitch with a stacked 75 dish with satellite A + B in and a 4 lines out starchoice switch. Can I run the 4 lines out into an Eagle Aspen DTV 4x8 Multiswitch and have it work or will I have to change to a Quad 4 LNB?

#166 · (Edited by Moderator)
Multiswitch w/QLNB

I currently have 2 feeds from a Quad LNB to my RV. The run was underground when I purchased the lot (RV). My RV has cable runs pre installed to both living and bedrooms. I just installed a new DSR 630 in the living room. I have instructions on how to get the second run to the living room but I may lose my bedroom sat. What I need to know is can I still use my 2 feeds from the Quad, put them through a multiswitch (if I can find a 2x4) so I don't have to try to fish a third line underground? This will also make it easier when travelling of only having to run two lines from the dish.

#169 ·
I bet it will work just fine...

I don't think he was using Cat 7 type cable. (I know it's a proposed standard but I haven't seen any yet.) Category 7/Class F (ISO/IEC 11801:2002) specifies a frequency range of 1–600 MHz over 100 meters of fully shielded twisted-pair cabling. It encompasses four individually shielded pairs inside an overall shield, called Shielded/Foiled Twisted Pair (S/FTP) or Foiled/ Foiled Twisted Pair (F/FTP). There is a pending class Fa, based on the use of S/FTP cable to 1000 MHz. It can support 10GBASE-T transmissions. It's really for LAN cabling for computer networks.

The installer could of said RG6 -> and hopefully Quad Shield. If you don't have that, and the length of the run is not to long, try your cable and see if it will work. If you have decent connectors, I bet it will work just fine.;)

#170 ·
Multiswich problem with 2 antennas

I'm very very south so I need two antennas rather than the single elliptic one for the PVR 630
My problem is that the strength of the signal is very good for the two sats but when I go from a lower channel (from 2 to 300) and then from 300 to 400 where the HD channels are my system freeze and state that they lost the sat signal and the red light come in and nothing else, If I reboot the system it stays there.
I checked the installation with a 605 and a single 2x2 switch and it works but not in the 630 where the need of two lines exists.
I have the system set up with two 2x2 starchoice switches, one per line and both hooks to each one of the 2 double LNB’s that I have in each antenna
Any help will be appreciated

#172 ·
I'm very very south so I need two antennas rather than the single elliptic one for the PVR 630
My problem is that the strength of the signal is very good for the two sats but when I go from a lower channel (from 2 to 300) and then from 300 to 400 where the HD channels are my system freeze and state that they lost the sat signal and the red light come in and nothing else, If I reboot the system it stays there.
I checked the installation with a 605 and a single 2x2 switch and it works but not in the 630 where the need of two lines exists.
I have the system set up with two 2x2 starchoice switches, one per line and both hooks to each one of the 2 double LNB’s that I have in each antenna
Any help will be appreciated
Has the 630 ever worked on your 2 Dish set up?

#173 ·
Multiswitch with 1 receiver

Can I use a 2X4 multiswitch with a quad LNBF and only 1 receiver (600).

Can I connect 1 line from each satelitte to the multiswitch to get all the channels or do I still need the 4x8 multiswitch regardless of which receiver I'm using. I realize that with 2 receivers I would need the 4X8 especially if one of the receivers was a PVR. But with a single line-in receiver like the 600 can't I use a 2X4.

#174 ·
Can I use a 2X4 multiswitch with a quad LNBF and only 1 receiver (600).
A 2X4 multisiwtch will not work with the quad LNB. You do not need a multiswitch if you have 4 or less receiver tuners. You run a direct line from the quad to each of your receiver's tuners. You only need a 4X8 or 5X8 multiswitch if you have more than a total of 4 tuners that need to be fed, then you would run all 4 lines to the multiswitch and use any of the 8 outputs to your receiver's tuners.

#175 ·
Two LNBS Two antenas and PVR 630 switch problem

Need help
In mexico you cannot use the eliptical antenna to get both sats.
I have two separate antennas conected with a multiswitch
and to cables to the PVR 630
when using it it froze and the red light no sat signal is aquired
attached is the photo of the switch I'm using ...
questions:
do I need two switches (one per line impute to the PVR)
Or just one
the order in the sat impute is important?
I have another switch the Zinwell MS3x4WB-Z but I guess it will not work

The switch working now is the original old starchoice

#177 ·
Antennas in Mexico

panchocuerdas, The larger 75E dish from SD works well with the 630 in central Mexico, when properly set up. I am at 21N & 101W, plus many friend's in Mazatlan & PV are using the same system. Depending on how much further south you are, you should check with other SD users in your area and not just rely on your installer.

#178 ·
Well so far I fixed the problem I guess as follows:
each antena the 3 feet and 4 feet (this is for the HD sat) need to go to 2 separate switches but being carful that you put the 0 Htz to one side and the 22Htz to the other (and both switches with the same order ) and then each switch with 2 lines to your IRD.

#179 ·
Zinwell multiswitch

I have a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z multiswitch. Can this switch be used on my shaw direct system? Also if it can be used is there any particular order the 4 lines from the LNB has to be connected to the switch? Also what are the flex port 1 & 2 inputs used for?
Thanks in advance for any responses
Ty H

#185 ·
Sorry. I didn't explain it well. I have built a new home theatre. I thought I could have a central patch panel to manage all of my wiring (sat, phone, internet), with all incoming lines ending there before being routed to the desired destinations. This, in theory, would support re-routing later on without fishing new wire if required, and ease a change to a different provider.

I was hoping to go with a 605 receiver and:

Solution 1: DISH - RG6 - CONNECTOR - RG6 - TV

but a SD CSR said the 605 will only support

Solution 2: DISH - RG6 - TV

This would mean new holes into my house and disrupting some new drywall. No hope of running an uninterrupted line with what is there now.

Bottom line question: Is SD just trying to cover themselves here or can the right kind of connector join my line and give me an acceptable signal?

This is independent of a pre-existing unbroken line from the dish to an existing tv in a different room (that I presume will remain as is). This line is connected to a 505. I didn't ask if a 505 would support a connected line but if it does I might be able to move it to the theatre and keep put a new 605 where the 505 was.

Regarding the multiswitch, this is more of a supplemental question. If I could have Solution 1 working, I was then going to change 'connector' to 'splitter' to see if I could support a 630.

Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.