Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Winnipeg: WDAZ & WUHF but no KNRR

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Corndogger 
#1 ·
I don't really understand why the CRTC forces Shaw to give us WDAZ from Devil's Lake-Grand Forks and WUHF from Rochester but not KNRR from Pembina, ND.

Personally I would prefer my US 4+1 from the same DMA. Right now our near feeds are from 3 DMAs (Fargo-Grand Forks, Minneapolis-St Paul, and Rochester)

#2 ·
It's all about saving local TV, even back in the 90's.

"the availability of this signal to Canadian cable subscribers could increase the potentially damaging effect of this station by providing Canadian advertisers with access to large amounts of commercial airtime at rates substantially lower than those they would be obliged to pay Canadian television licensees in order to reach the same potential audience".

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1994\DB94-793.htm

#7 ·
This is another example of where Canadian broadcasters get special treatment which no other industry would ever receive. Not only do cable/satellite customers get screwed out of watching what they pay for, Canadian businesses are forced to pay more for advertising than they should have to. I wonder what would happen if the cable companies started up the Commercial Channel which would show nothing but commercials for *Canadian* companies or companies that operate in Canada? Companies would be able to air extended commercials and ad rates would be determined by viewership levels. I wonder how hard the broadcasters would fight this? I'd love to see Shaw, etc. do this just to take money away from those greedy bastards that run Global, etc. I'd watch this channel just so that they would lose more money.

#3 ·
Found this on Wiki:

"While KNRR's coverage area includes Winnipeg, it is not carried on Shaw or MTS TV, who opted for Rochester's WUHF instead due to CRTC concerns that Winnipeg advertisers would purchase time from KNRR rather than Winnipeg television stations."

I don't see the big deal, the advertisers, like Kern-Hill Furniture Co-op buy ad time on WDAZ anyway.

EDIT - Just thought I would add that MTS offers FOX Minneapolis instead of Rochester, which is better than nothing I think.

#4 ·
I thought KNRR was shut down on June 12th then I checked WIKIpedia and saw it came back online in digital in late Oct 2009. Does that mean we can pick it up in Winnipeg?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.