Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix to stream Glee and Sons of Anarchy

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  North_of_Calgary 
#1 ·
Netflix in the U.S. announced today that it had expanded a distribution deal with Twentieth Century Fox (Fox) which will add the first season of "Glee" and the first two seasons of the cult favorite "Sons of Anarchy" beginning today.

The firm said that additional seasons would be added annually. No word yet on Canadian availability of the two shows.

In addition, library series such as "Ally McBeal" and "The Wonder Years" will stream instantly for the first time from Netflix. Fox will also make a number of library movies available to Netflix after their premium pay television license periods conclude.

"Our expanded non-exclusive streaming arrangement with Netflix maintains Fox's flexibility to effectively manage both the content we offer, and the appropriate window of availability relative to our other distribution partnerships," said Peter Levinsohn of Fox Filmed Entertainment.

Previously, the streaming agreement with Fox made a wide variety of prior seasons of hit TV shows available instantly from Netflix, including "Lie to Me," "24," "Prison Break," "Arrested Development," "Buffy The Vampire Slayer," "X-Files" and many more.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Look out Netflix!

I assume that Super Channel didn't want to bother paying a higher price for exclusive broadcasting/streaming rights in Canada. Netflix probably could afford to pay for some Showtime/HBO exclusive programming rights in Canada, but I assume that both HBO and Showtime no longer want to give Netflix any help in destroying them. I wouldn't be surprised if Astral and Super Channel will now be able to get the rights for many of the highly coveted US programming, even if Netflix offered more for those shows. It's one way the bigger US companies could stick it to Netflix.

It doesn't matter that much if Netflix streams Glee or SOA in Canada or not, since both are available for free from many Public Libraries. Sure, streaming is instant, but you don't get any Special Features, so I'm not even remotely interested in that announcement. I'd stream "The Big C" from Netflix, but I assume that it's probably available for free elsewhere. I'd rather wait for the DVD version, though.

I don't really care about streaming, but I am fascinated to see how everybody deals with Netflix. What a force of nature Netflix is!

#8 ·
I have belately discovered Sons of Anarchy after a co-worker bought in a few shows on a a lap-top to watch a few weeks ago.Since then I've been researching ways to watch all the shows.My local library never has copies.I was thinking of buying the BD's , but the wife's not too happy about that.
Time to join NetFlix I guess...:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.