Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix - House of Cards - update [Season 2 Released 14-FEB-2014]

8K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
It's a whole new ball game for Netflix, looks like they are going to compete directly against the big boys. From Netflix Blog

Netflix's Ted Sarandos explains:

We’re delighted to tell you that in late 2012 Netflix will be bringing to our members in the U.S. and Canada exclusively “House of Cards,” the much-anticipated television series and political thriller from Executive Producer David Fincher and starring Kevin Spacey. We’ve committed to at least 26 episodes of the serialized drama, which is based on a BBC mini-series from the 1990s that’s been a favorite of Netflix members.

#4 ·
I looked for the original British version of House of Cards on Netflix. It's not available in Canada. Yet another nail in the coffin for my Netflix Canada subscription. I hope they manage to do better with the new version.

#5 ·
Try again. Netflix appears to be having some server problems with the original British series. I just tried looking for it myself and initially could only see (but not successfully play) it from the netflix.ca website in Windows. A couple of minutes later, I could play it from Windows and also see and play it from my Netflix-compatible Blu-ray player.

I suspect that because of all the publicity about the new production, a lot of Netflix subscribers have decided to check out the old one, causing a server overload.

Tony

#6 ·
Netflix TV Series: House of Cards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULwUzF1q5w4

Has anyone watched this series so far? Produced by Netflix, creating quite a buzz because of high reviews and it's the first proper TV series (I think they also did Lillyhammer) produced by a company such as this and they uploaded all 13 episodes of the first season up at once rather than going week to week like in traditional TV. No commercials but of course it's hard to talk about it without spoilers since people are on different episodes. It's called binge TV because people are watching the whole series within a few days (13 50 minute episodes so it's hard to do).

Anyways, I don't watch dramas much but this one is great. Great acting and an interesting plot plus people love watching how politics work even if it's fictional.

#7 ·
My wife and I enjoyed all 13 episodes. We were a bit skeptical, since US rarely makes good quality remakes of UK programmes -- Fawlty Towers and The Office -- but this one succeeds in adapting UK political culture to the US. Moreover, Americans don't tend to succeed with irony very well, contrasted to UK, but it appears they're learning. Why Francis Urquhart is renamed Francis Underwood seems a mystery but Kevin Spacey is quite entertaining.

The Globe reviewer is one of the few viewers not convinced, judging IMDB ratings, but he doesn't seem to know much a politics, tropes, or viewers over 50. He also seems to have trouble with separating a review of a show with a critique of Netflix, itself. I found Lilyhammer also great and I hope Netflix can continue to offer us shows of the quality of HBO, and Showtime, since broadcast TV has been brain dead for years now, unless one likes to watch commercials.

#8 ·
I've been watching the US version on Netflix for about a week. I find it quite good but not as subtle as the UK version (watched last year.) Overall, both are entertaining and worth watching. I'd give the UK version a slightly higher rating due to better writing.

#13 ·
I watched the whole series in two days, I enjoyed it. I will watch a second season. It was a bit slow moving at times, but enjoyed the story.

On a side note that place Francis goes for ribs, how is that place in business its a very dirty looking place even the curtains were stained. I know thats a small thing to nit pick on but every time he ate there I thought where is the health inspector.

#19 ·
Aaron Sorkin, writer and producer of WW and The Newsroom, recently commented each show reflects the times. WW is too saccharin for current tastes but The Newsroom is suitably skeptical about our political culture, like House of Cards. The opening scene of The Newsroom is one of those great moments in media commentary of contemporary politics, like Howard Beal's "we can't take it anymore" rant in Network back in 1970s. Jeff Daniels hits a few nails square on their heads but it makes subsequent scenes and episodes pale in contrast. Still, I await Season 2 with anticipation too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.