Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix capable?

36K views 69 replies 36 participants last post by  North_of_Calgary 
#1 ·
Bought a Philips BDP 5012 /F7 which has ethernet port for internet access but is not capable of Netflix directly -- so I am told

So I think I need a media player or other streaming device - preferably wireless to receive from PC , translate? & deliver to the port . Presumably a recorder would be valuable as well.

Please help me understand the options

PS netflix comes through nice although I do not have superfast ISP

#59 ·
From what I've been able to discern, the Samsung players with the same model number are all the same hardware; it's just what's added into the box that determines the letter at the end of the model number:
BD-C5500 - player only
BD-C5500t - player and movie (or HDMI cable)
BD-C5500c - player and HDMI cable (or movie)
(can't remember which is which on the last two, but I think that's how it goes.

#62 ·
WD Live Plus Media Players or Others media Player

Hi All:

I need more info regarding the various Media Players there is on the Consumer Market today such as Roku, WD Live Plus Media Player, Boxee, other brands, that will work in Canada with Netflix? according to various websites and stores that I visited, Netflix streaming will NOT WORK on any of these Streaming Media Players? I did downloaded the lastest version of iTunes 10.0 and the IPod Touch version 4 and then downloaded the Netflix apps on my device and it works, but once I plugged in into my ?? Converter box, not sure what this device called, its made by Scosche? where I plug in my Ipod Touch in order to watch Movies on my TV and it works, but the moment I open Netflix I don't a see any pictures, but I do get sound? I checked the cables, made sure the IPOD was plugged in correctly and everything and still nothing, after searching the net, I found Roku which states that it will work with Netflix, AVOD (Amazon Video On-demand), Hulu Plus, but after looking at the reviews it ONLY works in the US. Is there a work around for this type of issue?? i.e.firmware or software upgrade. I am open to suggestion on this one

:confused:

Dan

#63 ·
Playing Netflix on many devices in Canada is problematic, but how about using a small computer or a netbook as your media center to stream Netflix to your tv. I don't have Netflix, but I have a small Compaq computer connected to my HDTV and the setup works extremely well. The desktop computer box is so small that it can fit even behind the tv. I use wireless keyboard and mouse. I think here in Canada where streaming technology in devices is still evolving this is the best solution. It would be good to get the computer with HDMI out and connected to tv with HDMI cable for true HD quality.

#64 ·
how can i install U.S. firmware on Samsung BD-P1600 blu-ray player

I have a Canadian version of the Samsung BD-P1600. The 'B' series is a 2009 product. Samsung Canada has indicated it has no intention of making the Canadian B-series products Netflix compatible, even though the U.S. version of the 'B' series are Netflix compatible.

My question: is there a way to install the U.S. version of the firmware into my product? This way, it will play Netflix.

#66 ·
I have a Canadian version of the Samsung BD-P1600. The 'B' series is a 2009 product. Samsung Canada has indicated it has no intention of making the Canadian B-series products Netflix compatible, even though the U.S. version of the 'B' series are Netflix compatible.

My question: is there a way to install the U.S. version of the firmware into my product? This way, it will play Netflix.
I have the same issue with our Samsung HT-BD8200, i.e. US version Netflix capable, Canadian version not. The firmware for our Samsung does get updated fairly regularly and there's only been one update since Netflix.ca went online, so I'm still holding out hope, although your reference to Samsung Canada not updating "B" series products is bothersome (we actually bought ours in 2010).

In terms of installing US firmware, this shouldn't be a problem - just go to the Samsung US site, download the latest firmware onto a USB flashdrive and install it to your device. If, as Deckster suggests, you still won't be able to access the Canadian Netflix site, you can always go back to the Canadian firmware version. Alternatively, you might be able to get US Netflix to work through a VPN. Another option would be to access Netflix.ca via your PC and them stream the signal if your P1600 allows steaming, although I don't know what effect this would have on the audio/video quality of Netflix programming.

Finally, you should contact Netflix Canada and ask them to pressure Samsung Canada to reverse its decision on not upgrading older models to make them Netflix capable, as well as Samsung Canada to inform them you've now purchased your last Samsung Canada product.

#65 ·
Getting the US firmware is a moot point because the player would try to log into the US Netflix service and tell you that you're not in it's service area.

My Panasonic BD player now shows Netflix on the screen, but despite Canada being selected, it tries to log onto the US service. Hopefully they get it working properly.

#67 ·
Netflix Canada with 2011 LG Blu Ray Players, BD650 and higher

I posted elsewhere and was recommended this thread.
But I called LG Canada asking if the 2011 LG Blu Ray players could do Netflix.ca, and the CSR on the phone stated yes, but only models BD 650 and higher. I will get one in a couple of weeks to test this, and report back. Unless someone else can verify this first hand. :D

#68 ·
roku netflix canada

very unprofessional, the worst launch ever, the much advertised roku box does not work for netflix canada even though they say it does on their website. and netflix canada only has 5% of the netflix usa content because of crtc communists. maybe next year

#70 ·
very unprofessional, the worst launch ever, the much advertised roku box does not work for netflix canada even though they say it does on their website. and netflix canada only has 5% of the netflix usa content because of crtc communists. maybe next year
Umm, what launch are you talking about? I think the Netflix Canada service has plenty of content. I have it on right now in fact (a movie I'd never even heard of before).

And where does it say on the Roku website that it works for Neflix Canada. When I go on their site it still shows me the September 21 posting saying that it does not support Netflix Canada.

And finally, as I've posted on this thread it does in fact work with my Roku. Although with some limitations as I've mentioned. (Overall I think the ATV2 which I also have on a different TV does a much better job.) There are many people on the roku forums that have also reported it working with the Canadian service. I swear I have it going in the background on my Roku at this very moment.

Anyway, time to put the computer away and enjoy the rest of my Netflix movie on my Roku.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.