Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix capable?

36K views 69 replies 36 participants last post by  North_of_Calgary 
#1 ·
Bought a Philips BDP 5012 /F7 which has ethernet port for internet access but is not capable of Netflix directly -- so I am told

So I think I need a media player or other streaming device - preferably wireless to receive from PC , translate? & deliver to the port . Presumably a recorder would be valuable as well.

Please help me understand the options

PS netflix comes through nice although I do not have superfast ISP

#29 ·
I think the "t" or "c" simply means that there is (or isn't?) a HDMI cable included in the box. I originally had a C5500, but then saw a better price at Costco, and picked it the C5500-c there - and all was identical except that there was a cable inside.

One slight oddity. When I originally tried to update the firmware on the C5500, it reported the error (I think I mentioned that above) so I had to use the USB stick; since then, however, I've had two auto-update notifications when turning on the unit, to 1017 and then a few days later to 1018. Installed no problem both times.

#32 ·
insignia ns-brdvd4-ca, netflix.ca capable

I thought I'd post a quick message about my success with the (low-price) Insignia blu ray player that is Netflix.ca capable.

Short:
Insignia ns-brdvd4-ca does indeed play Netflix.ca, and even 24hz/24p, but is very no-frills (no front display, no wifi). ns-brdvd2-ca has more features, including wifi, but costs more.

Long:
I've been looking for a cheap netflix.ca hardware player since I wasn't happy with the silverlight stream on my PC (dropped frames, not 24p, etc). I was considering getting an Apple TV since it was my cheapest option, and was waiting for boxing day to see it if goes on sale. In the meantime, I started looking around the net for Nexflix.ca capable blu ray players.

After reading in the Insignia forum that their latest 2 blu ray players are compatible with Netflix.ca, I bought one yesterday and tried it out. As soon as I powered it up, I didn't see the Netflix logo, but it did state that a firmware update was available. 5 mins later the firmware had downloaded and applied itself, the player rebooted, and I saw the Netflix logo. Typed in my account info, and I was in. The netflix interface is a little primitive, but very usable, and includes search and browse by genres, 2 recent additions to the netflix client software. The remote is a joke, but usable.

I played about 5 hrs of Netflix, the unit was warm but not hot, and only dropped maybe 20 frames in 5 hrs, and was totally silent during netflix playback. I didn't get a chance to test the Blu ray playback, but will tonight.

#34 ·
I'm wondering if this is the cheapest available non-PC solution for playing Netflix.ca on an HDTV, which supports HDMI, digital audio, component video, and analog audio. (I'm particularly interested in the latter feature, since I've run out of digital audio inputs on my A/V receiver.) Currently Future Shop and Best Buy are selling these for about $40 less than an Apple TV; with any luck they may be even cheaper on Boxing Day.

Thanks for the tip!

Tony

#35 · (Edited)
Curious how it did on bluray? Are the cheap units any good? Pricing is all over the place Our rental outfit does not get bluray because so many try a disc & it won't work without new software So Bluray in trouble?

I have netflix .ca at computer so wireless would be nice WAS GOING TO TRY VGA CONNECTIONS BUT CABLE $25! and not sure quality would be there.

#36 ·
I just hooked up a BD-C5500 today,it went through set-up and updates.Connects to the internet fine.

The problem is that I don't see the Netflix app. anywheres,I believe the firmware I have is 1016.1.

Seems to be the latest update I can get from the player.
I might try a USB flash drive firmware update at a later time.

#38 ·
Didn't have to,I managed to get the 1019.0 update to download from the player.

Im not sure what I did,I was logged in to my @internetTV account and tried the manual software update and to my surprise the update was there.It wasn't there the 20 times I tried before.Don't know if this had something to do with it or not.

Updated Firmware is the key to get the Netflix feature.One of the reasons I bought this player was because of this feature,and I must say it works well,with the updated firmware of course.

Im just wondering how many people will be returning their players because Netflix is suppose to be on this player,the reason just being outdated firmware.

Mine went through all the setup,updates,etc. today and the firmware it said was the most recent was the 1016.1,only after doing research I knew this wasn't true.

#41 ·
insignia ns-brdvd4-ca, followup

I finally had some time to watch some blu rays on the Insignia player, and I was pretty happy with the playback, no issues.

The unit sounds like a deskjet printer when it first powers up (checks tray for disk, etc). Its loud when jumping around on the disk (chapters, back to menu, etc), but quiet while playing a movie. Video quality was great on a 120hz LCD TV, and on my HD20 projector @ 92", and the sound was fine.

If you are looking for a cheap 2nd or bedroom blu ray player, or if you are looking for a cheap Netflix.ca player, with a bonus blu ray player built in, this one might be for you. Also, The next model up has a front display, better remote and wifi.

#46 ·
which bluray players stream netflix.ca completely wirelessly?

i hope i'm in the right forum, and can get my question asked properly, as i am somewhat green when it comes to technology. i need a bluray player that w/stream netflix wirelessly. we have highspeed internet at our house, but it comes via an antennae located on the barn some 150 feet away, hence, there is no router in my home, and is impossible to hardwire a bluray player as i was told to do, after i purchased mine. it is possible to purchase a dongle (hope this is the correct term), but i would rather return my bluray player and purchase one that is wireless complete, if that is possible. for example, i simply open my laptop, have wireless, and can stream netflix.ca. i want to do this using a bluray player, one that i don't have to purchase additional equipment, or one i won't have to hardwire to a router (not possible at our house). am i correct in assuming the samsung 6500 will stream netflix w/out any extra paraphanalia? does this make sense? thank you for any help, and i do apologize if i'm in the wrong forum, or if i'm not explaining properly.

#48 ·
i mean i can get netflix on my laptop, and i don't always want to tie up my computer to watch netflix; i would like to have a bluray player that w/stream netflix wirelessly, but w/out having to add a dongle or hardwire the bluray player into a router. then i can use my laptop for other things while my husband watches movies on tv streamed thru the bluray player that is wireless. am i making sense?

#52 ·
sorry about that; couldn't find it earlier; i'm new to this, as i'm sure you can tell. i would have to assume that the router would be located at our office, some 3/4 mile away. i think the antenna at the barn must pick up the internet signal,coming from the office area, and makes it available for me to use at my house. so, you see, i have no idea where this router is, but i do know i have no way of hardwiring a bluray player to the router; it would have to be a bluray player that doesn't require anything attached to it, if you know what i mean. (i really do apologive for not being very clear here)

#54 ·
but it's a very reliable wifi source! maybe the router is located up in the barn, under the antenna, and above the electrical plug in. i've got great service on my computer; i've watched netflix movies on my laptop for a couple of months now. all i want to know is this: does the samsung BD-C6500 bluray player that streams netflix movies need to be hardwired to anything, or does it need a dongle? or will it work like the wireless printer i have--i turn it on, and it finds the wireless signal, and bang! it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.