Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix capable?

36K views 69 replies 36 participants last post by  North_of_Calgary 
#1 ·
Bought a Philips BDP 5012 /F7 which has ethernet port for internet access but is not capable of Netflix directly -- so I am told

So I think I need a media player or other streaming device - preferably wireless to receive from PC , translate? & deliver to the port . Presumably a recorder would be valuable as well.

Please help me understand the options

PS netflix comes through nice although I do not have superfast ISP

#2 ·
Possibly

Looks like I need dedicated wireless HD media player + adapter to add to a 2'nd TV . Also need fast router to deliver HD to the player.
Would be an advantage to be able to surf the net via the TV if this is also possible . How does one introduce a keyboard for this?

#5 ·
The Netflix app incorporated into WMC does not work in Canada yet. :(
It points to the U.S. Netflix site, so no-go there! Hopefully Microsoft will push out an updated Netflix app for Canadians very soon that points to the Canadian Netflix site. Why this wasn't in place for the Canadian launch is beyond me.....much like the Xbox update! :confused:
You can, however, use your computer to output video and audio to your LCD if you have the proper connections on your comp and LCD. HDMI on both would be best....you can use the VGA connector, but you would still need to output the audio from your computer....you would have video to your monitor, but not audio. This is why HDMI would be best....it carries video and audio. :p

#7 ·
BDP-33FD ?

On the Pioneer Canada website, the Elite BDP-33FD has a red Netflix logo and says streaming player.
Does anybody know if this works yet? I'm looking for a better player than I have, but i want streaming if possible?

My old Samsung supposedly does BD live, but out of 12 movies i rented since i hooked it up to the internet, none of them have worked. Does BD Live work for anybody?

Thanx,

Tom

#8 ·
Update player

Apparently a lot of rental customers are complaining that "they don't work on my machine" As I understand you need to update some machines . My Philips with update has not messed up on any so far. The rental operation are limiting BD purchases because of the problems:mad:

#9 ·
I just updated the firmware on my Samsung BD-C6900 last night and I have Netflix (Canada) streaming to it now. It appears that Samsung finally got around to fixing this "issue". There is a new firmware for my tv as well (PN50C8000) which should also include the Netflix app.

#16 ·
The BD-P1600 still does not have Netflix. If Samsung is going to make me buy a new player just to get Netflix I will no longer buy their product. There is no hardware diff between this player and the US one. The diff is the firmware. Beginning to lose patience with this offshore company.

#17 ·
-- Netflix

Samsung 5500 -- working with updates in canada...

Samsung 1600 -- Update to be released by samsung Towards end of October 2010... (so they say... 'Samsung;)

BTW> I was not impressed by any samsung BD player I have seen as of yet..

as for the internet@TV service... its not worth the purchase of a unit for this feature..

#18 ·
-- NETFLIX -- SONY Products --- 2011 Release date..

After a conversation with Nathan at Sony of canada, I have been informed that Netflix will be released to all of sony's products that support internet video in 2011

I had mentioned that Samsung already has netflix, he was somewhat suprised.

if you have sony... 2011 you get netflix... ;)

It appears to be a common question they are being asked..

'NETFLIX'

so what is it... (-:

I have had it since the first day it was in canada... its ok...

tried it on several devices...

#20 ·
Ditto. I picked up a BD-C5500C at Costco in USA, then plugged it in here. Got a message to the effect of "Model of player does not match update file" (or wording to that effect).

Put the firmware file on a USB stick and plugged it in; 10 minutes later I had Netflix app.

#23 ·
Well

6500T works as described. As happy as I am about finally having access, I was pretty disappointed in the offerings available on the Canadian version. How long is it going to take to actually get newer "New Release" titles going? Right now they are at least 6 months old.

Coming from Zip for almost 5 years, this is a big letdown in product offering. I can say the 6500 is lightyears faster than the BD-P1600 it replaced, as well as 1/8 as big.

Still on the fence whether to replace the 2550 as well. Love the Reon HQV for all my old DVD's.

#24 ·
I was pretty disappointed in the offerings available on the Canadian version. How long is it going to take to actually get newer "New Release" titles going? Right now they are at least 6 months old.
Netflix isn't about new releases so it will be a very long time before that starts to happen. Netflix is a great addition to other sources out there.

IE: Use Zip for your new movies, Netflix for old movies.

#25 ·
I have the bd-p4600 player. Is Samsung going to release a firmware update for this player? I sure hope so, because I bought this player just a few months ago. It streams from my computer very well, which is what I basically use it for, I can't even remember playing a blu-ray from it lol.

If it is going to get the netflix app, that would be great as I find netflix to be kind of interesting, and I enjoy it on my ps3.

if it isn't going to get netflix, i may considering dumping it to the highest bidder and get a 2nd ps3. ps3 is a superb media player.

#27 ·
I sent a message to Panasonic regarding VIERA Cast TV's and BR players supporting Netflix in Canada. I was informed that there is nothing in the works for existing models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.