Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix coming to Canada Fall 2010 (Update: Now Available)

178K views 848 replies 171 participants last post by  flavoie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Press Release issued today

LOS GATOS, Calif., July 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX), the leading Internet movie subscription service, today announced it will expand into Canada this fall offering unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed instantly to TVs and computers for one low monthly fee. The Canadian launch will mark the first availability of Netflix outside the United States.

Canadian Netflix members will be able to instantly watch a broad array of movies and TV episodes right on their TVs via a range of consumer electronics devices capable of streaming from Netflix, as well as watching on PCs and Macs.

In addition to representing its inaugural international market, Canada will also mark the first streaming-only service promoted by Netflix.

At the time of launch, the Netflix Canadian service will be available in English only, but the company said it expects to add French language capability over time.
See Post 133 for start of user experiences.

#3 ·
It is about time we get a service like this in Canada! I just hope that the monthly fee is similar to what Americans pay and that the offerings will be similar as well!! I will definately pay for this service if it is priced right! I have an ISP which offers me unlimited downloads.... for now!!

#191 · (Edited by Moderator)
cpcarter, who's your ISP? That's the first thing I thought of since Cogeco doesn't offer that :(
Oops. :eek: It wouldn't be the first time that Canadians were burned by crippled hardware from Canadian distributors and I'm sure it won't be that last. That's why I stopped buying proprietary playback hardware and went the HTPC route.
What does "HTPC route" mean?
I would love nothing more than to see a battle emerging between net content providers and ISP caps. Something needs to give, but one side needs a strong front to battle the ISPs. I hope the coming of Netflix can spearhead this movement to unshackle consumers.
I was thinking the same thing. After being overcharged for upload speeds to watch 2-4 TV shows, I stopped watching via Hulu.

After looking for unlimited, we don't have that here in Canada (the odd DSL has it), but they do in the US.
Do they have monthly caps in the US for their ISPs like we do here in Canada, at least here in Rogers land?
One of my team members says his is umlimited. Not sure who he's with.
Obviously, one person (from the article) assumed that ALL the same movies "could" be made available in Canada, and the other "smarter" person mentioned that it would depend on rights negotiations.

I assume that we have little chance of streaming episodes of "The Littlest Hobo" from Netflix.ca because I believe CTV owns the rights and might currently be streaming the episodes on its website for free. Volume 1 of the series is also available on DVD at Zip.ca and Cinemail has Volume 2 of the series.
As far as I know, the Canadian TV stations only air a few episodes. Unless someone knows different, every time I go to find an episode I missed, it's not there or the complete series isn't there.
Bell is expected to lower their bandwidth limits as well, after a recent CRTC decision.

I don't think users of streaming services should be worried when using caps around 60GBytes. A conservative average of 1GByte/hour would give you 60 hours/month on a 60GBytes plan.
LOL, you must not use the Internet for anything than. I for one am online working 7 days per week.

Michelle

#7 ·
Great news. Before Xbox / Netflix introduced geo-locking I was able to use Netflix on my Xbox via a friend that allowed me to share his queue.

Most movies available for streaming were quite old and off the beaten path. They'd throw in a nugget or two from the last couple years but that's about it. For the most part movies were pulled from what we know as MPIX or even lower down the chain. But for $8.99 USD/a month really couldn't complain much.

If you like documentaries it was great. If you like catching up on old seasons of tv series it was great. At the time I was able to get through the 1st couple seasons of 30 Rock (in HD), Weeds and Californication. They also had A-Team and crazy old stuff like that.

The other thing I like about Netflix is they are aggressive at getting on as many platforms as possible. PS3, Xbox, Wii, Ipad, PC, Mac and iPhone soon. Very nice.

#10 ·
Big question will be Canadian programming rights

Could be good if they can get the programming rights for all their current shows for showing in Canada. I guess the other question is will Canadian ISP's block it. After all a number of ISP's have their own VOD for which this will be in competition. In U.S. they can stream to Xbox which I would use. Zune is on the Xbox here so question will be will they also allow Netflix on the Canadian Xbox system. It would appear that a great deal of negotiations will be required.

#19 ·
I guess the other question is will Canadian ISP's block it. After all a number of ISP's have their own VOD for which this will be in competition.
I think the ISPs would have a hard time blocking it directly - it would raise all kinds of questions about anti-competitive behaviour.

All they would have to do is introduce low monthly caps on how much you can download and charge outrageous prices for any overage ... OH WAIT! - They've already done that.

#22 ·
The CRTC doesn't regulate the mail service, so no Cancon rules apply, either to Zip.ca or to a prospective Netflix DVD rental service in Canada. That said, I'm guessing if Netflix wanted to provide their DVD service here, they would either have to (a) ship from their U.S. facilities - which would be cost-prohibitive in terms of shipping fees, not to mention much slower than Zip.ca; or (b) set up their own shipping centres in Canada, which would also be quite expensive (and with Zip.ca already serving the market, perhaps they figure there isn't enough room for them to do DVD rentals profitably as well).

As for what they will be streaming, the CRTC doesn't regulate Internet content either. The only issue to getting the same content available stateside would be getting permission from Canadian broadcasters to carry the series they own broadcast rights to.

#17 ·
Just last night I saw a commercial for Netflix on a US channel and was telling my wife what a great deal they had down there. Renting two movies a month from iTunes costs more than what they charge for Netflix.

If they have a good library I may look into it. We are OTA only, so it would be nice to have a great movie selection for relatively cheap.

#20 ·
What is going to happen to our devices that support Netflix in the US, but had the feature removed in Canada? Like the LG blueray players, PS3, etc? I'm curious if manufacturers will start offering Netflix in Canada as well.

Zip.ca, waiting on your next move.

#36 ·
Not from this announcement as it's a streaming service (not downloading).

I'm excited for the announcement, but I already have thousands of movies and TV shows on physical media that I haven't watched, I probably won't use this much (yet, for some reason I still want to subscribe - I'm sick in the head).

#23 ·
What is going to happen to our devices that support Netflix in the US
The US site will automatically redirect to the Canadian server, in the same way that Netflix.com redirects to Netflix.ca in a browser.

The only issue to getting the same content available stateside would be getting permission from Canadian broadcasters to carry the series they own broadcast rights to.
I'm not sure that broadcast rights even apply. This could be considered a rental or have other non-exclusive rights that exclude broadcast rights. VOD rights may apply and those are assigned to BDUs, not broadcasters. The big issue is whether the CRTC will continue to allow Canadian companies to operate BDUs, internet backbones and ISPs in a non-arms length manner and restrict competition, as they now do. CRTC policy restricts such practices but it seems to have lost its will to enforce its own policies when it comes to the likes of Bell and Rogers. Canadian BDUs and broadcasters may also file a petition against Netflix with the CRTC and get a favorable ruling. I hope not but, considering recent history, a protest from Canadian companies is likely.

#25 ·
The US site will automatically redirect to the Canadian server, in the same way that Netflix.com redirects to Netflix.ca in a browser.
You stripped out the last half of my question and didn't answer it.

On another note, Netflix owes a lot of their content to their sweet deal they signed with Starz. I wonder if and how that deal extends to Canada. In any case, Netflix might struggle in 2012 once that deal expires.

I wonder if today's announcement will be closely followed by "Netflix acquires Zip.ca".

#24 ·
Great News if you like Movies

I subscribed to the service while wintering in the USA and the movies are 3 months or older and there was a very broad choice.There was no HD or 5.1 sound available 4 months ago.

I suspect that zip ca may be owned by netflix or a majority shareholder???? As a previous post stated Netflix was suppose to start streaming on line. My information was it was suppose to start in June however it does not appear to be on the horizon.

I can not see the crtc getting involved as this is internet and I did not believe they regulated internet and there has been many differing opinions on this point.

If it occurs it is good for people who enjoys movies.

#26 ·
What is going to happen to our devices that support Netflix in the US, but had the feature removed in Canada?
You stripped out the last half of my question and didn't answer it.
Oops. :eek: If the same hardware is present, a firmware update might restore the Netflix functionality. If there are hardware differences, Canadian purchasers will be SOL. That will depend on the make and model. It wouldn't be the first time that Canadians were burned by crippled hardware from Canadian distributors and I'm sure it won't be that last. That's why I stopped buying proprietary playback hardware and went the HTPC route. It doesn't matter what it is, there is always some new feature that was left out of last years model or the Canadian model (often the same thing) that requires entirely new hardware to get. I've seen thousands of dollars worth of equipment become obsolete in as little as 2 years.

#28 ·
“For $8.99 a month, members can watch and unlimited TV episodes and movies streamed to their TVs and computers”

Is that true? That sounds really, cheap for watching unlimited movies and TV…. do they not have a pay per movie/TV system as well on top of the 9 a month?

#30 ·
It sounds like the Netflix and Zip.ca offerings are extended run, after theaters, rental/PPV and premium movie channels. I am glad to see it happen though. It will be a great supplement to OTA and a good replacement for some of the specialty channels on overpriced BDUs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.