Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix coming to Canada Fall 2010 (Update: Now Available)

178K views 848 replies 171 participants last post by  flavoie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Press Release issued today

LOS GATOS, Calif., July 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX), the leading Internet movie subscription service, today announced it will expand into Canada this fall offering unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed instantly to TVs and computers for one low monthly fee. The Canadian launch will mark the first availability of Netflix outside the United States.

Canadian Netflix members will be able to instantly watch a broad array of movies and TV episodes right on their TVs via a range of consumer electronics devices capable of streaming from Netflix, as well as watching on PCs and Macs.

In addition to representing its inaugural international market, Canada will also mark the first streaming-only service promoted by Netflix.

At the time of launch, the Netflix Canadian service will be available in English only, but the company said it expects to add French language capability over time.
See Post 133 for start of user experiences.

#125 ·
David, please find the article. I personnally have not seen anything specifically saying what format(s) (SD, HD, bitrates) the library would be under. While the majority of the library is in DVD quality, there are HD titles and I don't understand why us Canadians would be any different that our US counterparts resolution-wise. It's only the content licenses that matter and sets us apart.

#128 ·
Didn't I say that yesterday? It should be announced at their press conference tomorrow downtown but it has not been confirmed that it will start tomorrow - though I suspect it will be.

#129 ·
Several media outlets are reporting that there will be an announcement tomorrow at 9:30 in Toronto. I have also found some web reports (takes grain of salt) by Canadian beta testers stating that they have been testing the service for a few months. Beta reports show limited choice, but full support of PC, PS3, Wii, etc. Rumours are that you will get to register up to 6 devices for $10/mth.

My fear is that most of the licenses for streaming TV shows are already controlled by the major Canadian networks. This may leave nothing but scraps and old movies.

#130 ·
According to ReadWriteWeb, Netflix will use Canada as a trial for international expansion.
That basically means it could go away if it doesn't work out as Netflix hopes. Considering the regulatory and broadcasting environment in Canada, I suspect it may not do well. Existing interests will likely fight to keep content off Netflix so they can make more money from existing and planned proprietary services such as VOD over IP and cable. Canadian internet interests are already set to limit the success of services like Netflix due to speed and data limitations. I don't see the situation changing to accommodate competition from a foreign competitor either.

#131 ·
How is Netflix affected by the regulatory and broadcasting environment? It is affected by the fact that the US networks sell Canadian rights (including online rights) to Canadian networks. But I bet that is the same with all markets outside of the US.

That isn't a CRTC issue - the issue is that the US networks sell rights on a country by country basis. If they retained global internet rights then we would be able to see everything on the TV networks' website - such as nbc.com. But NBC has made a business decision not to do so, likely because it dilutes the value of Canadian (or British or Australian) broadcasting rights for their shows.

#132 ·
TV shows are one thing, although I am mainly looking for TV shows, but movies are pretty easy to pick up - look at how easily Ch0 was able to fill CHCH with movies.

If there's demand for movie viewing on demand for $10 a month I suspect Netflix will do great here.

Plus there's plenty of alt providers with no or large bandwidth limits and even for the casual viewer - what's 10 SD movies gonna be in bandwidth? 20 GB's? Most standard internet accounts will handle that fine.

Naysayers aside this is great news and look forward to Netflix slowly but surely growing in Canada to challenge the BDUs.

#134 ·
Checking it out now. As expected some TV shows are pooched as they don't have the rights for Canada, so far movies are all looking good.

Californication, Weeds and Law & Order aren't avail to us. Continuing to test.

PS3 app works, Xbox to update this fall. They will ship the free Wii disc!

Great price, can't really complain. Way to go Netlifx.

#137 ·
Running some more comparisons, netflix.ca vs the instantwatcher search site.

We have 120 tv shows, US has 2421 shows

Little harder to total up movies but did notice movies like Matrix Revolutions is avail down south but not here.

Hopefully tv numbers will go up, that would be what the wife would use, not movies so much.

#139 ·
I'm wondering how well this will work in Canada. They don't have a huge selection to begin with (hopefully they will keep adding daily) so people might be shy to sign up.

I'm interested but won't sign up right away. Will be waiting to hear comments about quality and selection first.

I thought they would have joined forces with Zip as they keep saying they will be offering streaming (this fall?) also.

EDIT: Do you have to be logged in to see if the titles are available in HD? I haven't seen anything indicating on their website which titles are available in HD yet. It could be that I just haven't found one yet.

#145 ·
This selection is worse than I expected, and I didn't have high expectations. Everything I entered in the search was unavailable. Most things I searched for were at least 20 years old. Things like Caddyshack. I wasn't expecting brand new.

I was surprised by Mad Men, which would be okay if a) I was a fan and b) didn't already have AMC and a DVR.

#146 ·
I signed up for $7.99 & said what the heck & I figured I'd give a try, I have this setup for Sagetv and the wii and the iphone/ipods. And so far, the kids shows selection is great, And after looking through the selection of tv shows,movies I don't I need Bell tv anymore.

I have OTA,Netflix now, the only thing I have to worry about is the limits on is bandwidth usage, I'll have to keep any eye out for usage with Netflix. I'm already over the top with Rogers limits stupidly low monthly caps without Netflix so I shall wait & see........

#148 ·
How is Netflix affected by the regulatory and broadcasting environment?...
That isn't a CRTC issue
ISPs throttle and cap with the CRTC's blessing. The FCC in the US restricts such activities. Also, Canadian broadcasters are unlikely to cooperate with Netflix due to concentration of ownership between broadcasters, BDUs and ISPs, something else that is increasing with the CRTC's blessing. In addition, fees such as FCC and the LPIF make it unlikely that broadcasters will seek outside revenue sources such as streaming on Netflix. I don't want to turn this into a CRTC bashing thread. It's worth pointing out the ways in which the Canadian broadcasting and regulatory environment affects companies like Netflix.

I and not a naysayer either. I truly hope that Netflix succeeds and others like it. I will also likely subscribe to Netflix. I have subscribed to internet streaming music services for almost 10 years so I am well aware of the issues such as copyright restrictions that affect such services. Let's just say that I have seen more streaming services fail or stop streaming to Canada than have succeeded.

#149 ·
Also, Canadian broadcasters are unlikely to cooperate with Netflix due to concentration of ownership between broadcasters, BDUs and ISPs, something else that is increasing with the CRTC's blessing.
And yet iTunes doesn't seem to have problems with it. Most shows can be subscribed to and downloaded as they're aired. So how come Apple can do it, but it's going to be so hard for Netflix?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.