Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix Adds New Countries! Good News or Bad?

6K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Netflix has just launched in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, and Austria and they say they will spend $3 billion to produce unique European content.

Do you think these new regions will have unique movies/tv shows not available in Canada?

See less See more
#4 ·
Wish there were more shows available. For example, I would love to watch One foot in the grave but it isn't available on any Netflix.

#7 ·
@Dr Dave: I never thought of checking Youtube. I thought this kind of programming would be reserved for BBC website or Hulu.

@Unotelly: I don't always want to watch stuff on my computer. I like to have it on my big screen using what ever device that might be connected other than a PC.

#17 ·
Every time I get a new motherboard or addons, I relegate the other pieces into a new computer. For example, in the computer room, I have 4 which all do something (either part of my displays or server.) Then I have 3 in the game room which makes up the hearts of 1; my arcade AKA my TARDIS, 2; my pinball machine, 3; my video poker touch screen machine, 4; my slot machine. Then we have the bar area that has one as a jukebox, then the theatre that has one streaming from my server, then the server itself, backup of the server, 3 laptops, 1 tablet, and the one in the woodshop and finally, the new nano pc in the bedroom. I also have 2 WD Pluses, and 2 Android TV boxes.

With all these, my network is stretched thin and the Actiontec is slow as hell. I don't like throwing computers away.

I forgot to mention I also have two that are note connected to anything at the moment.... :eek:

#13 ·
mismag said:
Maybe they should start creating some Canadian shows!
Why?

mismag said:
I hope Netflix responds to the CRTC on Monday with a "take a hike"!
Indeed. Like I've said before, unless Canada implements something equivalent to China's firewall, they're not in a technical position where regulating Internet content is even an option.

If the CRTC showed the determination that they were going to try and regulate the Internet, that would be a hugely unpopular move - and they'd get shut down by the government. If the government isn't going to enforce piracy laws (due to it being a political hot potato), I can only imagine the uproar if the CRTC blocked YouTube and Netflix. The end result would be politicians scoring points by cutting off the CRTC by the knees.

#16 ·
...Like I've said before, unless Canada implements something equivalent to China's firewall, they're not in a technical position where regulating Internet content is even an option.

If the CRTC showed the determination that they were going to try and regulate the Internet, that would be a hugely unpopular move - and they'd get shut down by the government. If the government isn't going to enforce piracy laws (due to it being a political hot potato), I can only imagine the uproar if the CRTC blocked YouTube and Netflix. The end result would be politicians scoring points by cutting off the CRTC by the knees.
I agree.

As has been discussed on this forum before, what would constitute netflix as a "broadcaster" (and hence be under CRTC regulation) any more than say iTunes. The only difference I see really is the billing model. Netflix is flat rate while iTunes is pay per view. Ditto for Google Play.

Yet I don't see the CRTC going after Apple or Google????

If the argument is the billing model then I bet there are thousands of online streaming sites working with exactly the same monthly billing model as Netflix, just in the "adult" genre. Do they have to produce 30% of their "adult" content in Canada!

Does Indigo-Chapters have to stock 30% of their books from Canadian authors? I really don't know that for certain but I'm reasonably sure that they don't. What about Amazon.ca?

My belief is that the industry should have to support itself on its own merit. And there is certain Canadian content that I would pay for. But it should be a true consumer demand model. And if the CRTC does impose any sanctions on Netflix I for one will be writing my MP asap!

Back to the OP topic: I can't see the WSJ link on what they're doing in France. But out of these 15 countries that Netflix now operates in I doubt many apart from Canada and France have had any culture-ism protection.

#14 ·
#15 ·
I don't see the addition of these countries as a huge benefit for Canadians but it may add some new programming from those countries. Canadians that region hop may see something different that is worth watching, maybe even something in their native language. Let's face it, the US and the UK are the major producers of English language TV, movies and entertainment.

Maybe they should start creating some Canadian shows!
US companies spend huge amounts of money producing shows in Canada. A large percentage of prime time and cable TV shows are shot in Canada with Canadian actors and crews. Many of the shows are mostly Canadian but don't count as Cancon under CRTC rules. Simple things like using one or more non-Canadian producers, lead actors, writers or directors disqualify them as Cancon.

#21 ·
....and I think there will be a 9th season as well. Of course I can't find that link right now but I swear I read that earlier this year before Don't Legalize It came out.

I think this is one way to get around the CRTC's watchdogs by adding Canadian content on Netflix. That and the fact that there will be no censorship on the 8th season.

I haven't watched the other seasons yet but did somebody watch it? If so, did they remove the BEEPS where words were censored?

#23 ·
....and I think there will be a 9th season as well. Of course I can't find that link right now but I swear I read that earlier this year before Don't Legalize It came out.
March 5, 2014: "Only On Netflix: Canada's Incomparably-Entertaining Trailer Park Boys Return For Seasons 8 & 9 Beginning This Fall".

You can even say that Netflix is spreading Canadian culture around the world (although Trailer Park Boys may not be what the CRTC had in mind.) ;)
But first, the latest seasons will be added in Canada and the U.S. while Seasons 1-7 will be available for the first time in the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, the Nordics, and Latin America.

#24 ·
@Wayne,
I do think it was beeped on Showcase.

@Dr Dave,
That was what I had read. If they filmed it themselves, will we be lucky to have it in 4K?

As for the CRTC remark, I'm sure they would like to see Road to Avonlea as a true Canadian export. Something that looks nice, full of good values, polite and polished TV. Everything I hate thus the reason I love TPB!

#25 ·
Netflix has produced Season 8 of The Trailer Park Boys. What could be more Canadian than Ricky, Julian and Bubbles?
And yet, it might not count as Canadian content in the eyes of the CRTC. The fact that it is produced by Netflix, a US company, may be enough to disqualify it. Add a few key non-Canadian personnel and it won't count as Cancon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.