Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Apple TV Latest Firmware Issues (With NetFlix)

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Lorenzol 
#1 ·
Since the last Apple TV update 6.1 it appears that Netflix is only outputting stereo for movies and shows that should be in Dolby Digital 5.1

I have confirmed this behavior on my Apple TV 3.

From reading various Apple TV discussion forums this problem has been reported by many users and Netflix or Apple are trying to fix it.

If you have another streaming box like Roku or a PS3 you can verify that his Netflix problem is only related to Apple TV since those devices correctly output DD 5.1 audio.

#2 ·
ATV3 update loses Netflix SuperHD

Anyone else experiencing this since the last Apple TV update to version 6.1 recently?

Shows that used to have the SuperHD tag, now are tagged 'HD", eg Everybody Loves Raymond.

The odd thing, is that the Netflix app built into my ST60 Viera, still displays the SuperHD tag and the PQ from it is noticeably superior to the same show thru the ATV3.

There is talk on the Apple forum about a loss of DD with this update, but I'm only running 2 channel so I can't comment on it.

#10 ·
Looks like 6.1.1 firmware now has the same bug for me. I don't get Dolby through Netflix anymore. It works when streaming from my iPad or iphone to ATV3. Here's hoping for a permanent fix soon!

#11 ·
I spoke with someone at Netflix and they assured me that the problem with DD5.1 is Netflix and NOT Apples'.

I have an ATV2 with the latest FW and still no DD5.1.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.