Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Recommend DLNA + Netflix client

Tags
dlna netflix
12K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  jschall 
#1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking for a recommendation for a DLAN client device that supports Netflix. I've been using a Samsung BluRay player since 2011, I find it slow in streaming Netflix videos and the dlna client is very very slow. Regarding its issues with Netflix, it takes a long time to load videos and freezes often when loading videos requiring a reboot. The DLA client on the BluRay is also slow when going through pictures and music, although playback is fine.

What I'm looking for:
-------------------

- Device that can stream NetFlix
- Has DLNA client (My NAS runs a Twonky DLNA server and some media server)
- Has a remote
- Ideally can change DNS on the device

Thanks!

#2 ·
A PS3 does all that you ask but might be a little expensive unless you want to play games, however with the PS4 on its way there are deals to be had.

Other options would be a jailbroken Apple TV............I'm sure there will be others coming along with other options.

Not a Roku though as you cannot change the DNS

#6 ·
Cool, I use a PS3 for all the OP needs and its awesome.........plus I'm a gamer. I was looking at alternatives for other TV's in the house, I picked up an Android HDMI stick which works but is clunky, so I'm holding out for a Chromecast when they are released in Canada.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I went out and bought a WDTV (Thanks 905shmick for the recommendation) and a Sony something-or-other with GoogleTV. They both meet all my original requirements, but I've determine I need a bit more than they offer. Now I'm going to add another requirement though :p Internet Browser from which I can access Hulu.

The GoogleTV box has Chrome, but Hulu blocks access from it and directs you to use their android app which A doesn't work on GoogleTV devices and B even if it did, most of their good content isn't available in the Hulu plus app but only through the browser (arg!).

Here are my updated requirements, looking forward to your suggestions:
======================================================

- Device that can stream NetFlix

- Has DLNA client that supports h.264/MKV (My NAS runs a Twonky DLNA server and some media server)

- Has a remote or supports a wireless keyboard

- Has a browser (so I can access Hulu)

- Is not a GoogleTV device

- Ideally can change DNS on the device (not a deal breaker, but a nice to have)

Thanks

EDIT: By the way, Netflix on the GoogleTV box by Sony was extremely fast compared to my Samsung BluRay.

#9 ·
A HTPC may be the way to go.
Would essentially give you FULL browser capabilities like any PC would.
Would be able to access the DLNA, and shouldn't have any playback issues with proper codecs installed.

Canadacomputers carrys a wide variety of 'mini pc's' Which are great for playback devices. Small form factor too.

#11 ·
I'm thinking of building an "HTPC" does anyone have experience with any of the "single board" computers out there that run Android (from what I could find, there is at present no stable build of Android for the Raspberry Pi) (Android b/c of Netflix) ? UDOO sounds promising but I can't find reviews of anyone who's used it as a media pc.

As for the Chromebox, I'm guessing it runs the Chome OS just like the Chrome books ? That could be interesting.

#12 ·
On alibaba, you get an android tv device that runs xbmc and is in the shape of the starship enterprise. With taxes, shipping and all, it came to 120$. Runs everything on jellybean4.2.1 and it kicks my WDTV Plus butt big time. So much that I am thinking of getting another one for the livingroom....

#16 ·
@envirogeek: I am using the Kickstarter-backed Equiso Pro. It's not the retail version. The Equiso Pro gets me 5300 on Antutu, and it is supported by Equiso and a large user community. There are surely better Android boxes/sticks out there, but I ordered my Equiso Pro over a year ago, only received it in February 2013. It has already received two firmware upgrades. It works for me. We should look further than the Amazon reviews, in my opinion.

For example:

http://www.robertsetiadi.net/review-equiso-streaming-smart-stick/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.