Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix coming to Canada Fall 2010 (Update: Now Available)

178K views 848 replies 171 participants last post by  flavoie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Press Release issued today

LOS GATOS, Calif., July 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX), the leading Internet movie subscription service, today announced it will expand into Canada this fall offering unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed instantly to TVs and computers for one low monthly fee. The Canadian launch will mark the first availability of Netflix outside the United States.

Canadian Netflix members will be able to instantly watch a broad array of movies and TV episodes right on their TVs via a range of consumer electronics devices capable of streaming from Netflix, as well as watching on PCs and Macs.

In addition to representing its inaugural international market, Canada will also mark the first streaming-only service promoted by Netflix.

At the time of launch, the Netflix Canadian service will be available in English only, but the company said it expects to add French language capability over time.
See Post 133 for start of user experiences.

#833 ·
Huge update today. Including some interesting new releases like Black Swan and 127 Hours (which only recently debuted on the US HBO). Plenty of "not quite new/not quite old" content recently as well (i.e. movies 2-7 years old). Still probably 80% - 90% of the titles I enjoy are movies I've never heard of.

My "instant queue" is going to hit triple digits pretty soon.

#843 ·
The first answer was to look under the "Cinema du Monde" category but the rep totally understood my comment and took it all to the marketing dept. I tried French support for the first time, and it was real french language support, and wait time was 1 minute. This time I was answered from Winnipeg, according to them. I could hear english language reps talking in the background. So it looks like they do have employees or contractors based in Canada. I also let them know they can contact me for more details if needed.

#847 ·
In the Q3 letter to shareholders, Netflix wrote:

[...]by the time we've added all this great entertainment, we will have comparable content quality to what we have in the U.S., and be spending the population-adjusted equivalent.[...]

Sounds right. If they spend a population-adjusted equivalent, they should get comparable content since the licenses should be cheaper since they cover less population. I am excited (About more canadian content coming up, not about still being a shareholder)

#848 ·
Since everyone else seems to have a "Your List" where as I have an "Your Instant Queue" on the webpage, I'm curious as to what it shows on your various streaming devices? For example, does the AppleTV2 show the words "Your List"?

My ATV2, blu-ray player, etc all say either "Instant Queue" or "Your Instant Queue". I know some devices they (netflix) can update dynamically as they're simply using HTML5 but others (i.e the ATV2) I believe have the menu options cooked into the app on the device or into the firmware.

#849 ·
Netflix Q4 time. Here is the Canadian comment on the content going forward in the letter to shareholders. They do not specifically mention spending the same population-adjusted amount like they did before, but do mention increasing content in the next 2 quarters.
===
Canada
In Canada in Q4, we enhanced our offering with fresh movies and TV shows from existing output deals, as well as new deals. For TV, we’ve significantly improved our television catalog with new content from FOX, Sony, and AMC and for film, we have continued to add Pay 1 film titles such as “Black Swan,” “True Grit,” “The Chronicles of Narnia” and “Rango,” as well as great catalog titles like “Pulp Fiction.” The 5 addition of lots of compelling new shows and movies both drove increased hours viewed per member and member acquisition during the quarter.
The market opportunity in Canada is exciting enough that we continue to invest in the content library, meaning that we’ll run at roughly break even for two quarters, and we expect to return to a positive contribution profit starting in Q3 of this year, two years after our initial launch. Our plan after that is to grow our contribution margin as we continue to grow our membership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.