Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Problems Streaming Netflix to multiple devices

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jshel101 
#1 ·
I noticed this last week, I tried to watch Netflix on the bus, but got an error message saying that I have exceeded my limit of 1 device. I guess my son was watching a movie at home, while I tried to watch one. I read somewhere today that on September 1st Netflix implemented this. You are still allowed to watch a TV show while someone is watching a movie, just not two movies at the same time.

#2 ·
From Terms of Service

Personal Computer Requirements and Device Limitations: To enjoy watching instantly via your personal computer, your equipment must satisfy certain system requirements. Click here to view the various system requirements. To see partners who offer Netflix ready devices you may use to access our service, click here. YOU MAY INSTANTLY WATCH ON UP TO SIX UNIQUE AUTHORIZED NETFLIX READY DEVICES. YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO INSTANTLY WATCH SIMULTANEOUSLY ON ONLY ONE SUCH DEVICE AT ANY GIVEN TIME. For certain membership plans in the United States, you may instantly watch simultaneously on more than one Netflix ready device within your household. Click here to view the number of devices on which you may simultaneously view movies & TV shows that are associated with your plan. The number of devices and concurrent streams may change without notice to you. For certain limited membership plans in the United States, your available Netflix ready device may be limited to personal computers.
I'm not surprised as I'm certain they are trying to crack down on abuse.

Having said that, it is a really dumb move. The limit should be 1 IP address. That way if you have 2 or 3 devices operating behind your router at home then you won't be penalized (though it seems by the above that this is the way its down in the U.S.)

#6 ·
Apparently just a technical glitch

Some people couldn't stream two movies at the same time, but still could stream a TV series episode and a movie simultaneously. Others had no problems at all. Still, everybody assumed the worst (and some Netflix CSRs unintentionally mislead the public) and then all the reports came out about enforcing the streaming limitation of 1 stream at a time. However, those reports appear to have been incorrect, as Netflix appears to be allowing multiple streams. If you can't watch simultaneous Netflix streams at the moment, I assume it's just a temporary glitch.

That's not to say that the simultaneous streaming rules won't be enforced in the future (previous press releases by Netflix warned of this), but for now it appears that Netflix is too worried about another customer backlash to go through with its plans to limit its streaming-only members to 1 device at a time.

By the way, I still can't pat my stomach and rub my head at the same time, nor can I juggle 3 bowling balls while singing O Canada. I'm surprised that I can even spell the world simultaneous. :rolleyes:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20055207-17.html
[Netflix's limits on the number of simultaneous streams available to customers might soon change.]

http://techland.time.com/2011/09/07/netflix-streaming-not-limited-to-one-device-at-a-time/

Contrary to some reports, Netflix is not limiting streaming video to one device at a time—at least not on purpose.

"No Netflix member is limited to less than two concurrent streams," Netflix spokesman Steve Swasey told Techland in an e-mail. "A few Netflix members have heard differently from us, which is an error that we are correcting."

On Monday, the blog Stop the Cap reported that Netflix was suddenly enforcing a rule that restricted streaming video to one device per subscriber at a time. Users who tried to watch Netflix on concurrent devices saw an error message, the blog said.

But I had no problem streaming different movies to my Playstation 3 and my PC at the same time. (My current plan is one DVD at a time, plus streaming.) Techland's editor Doug Aamoth streamed Netflix videos to his computer, iPhone and iPad simultaneously. Those who saw an error message, it seems, had run into a glitch.

However, Netflix does allow for a limit on concurrent streams, according to its terms of service:

"Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix ready device at the same time. If you are on the 1 disc out at-a-time plan [or stream-only plan], you may watch only one device at a time ...

The rule just isn't being enforced right now. That's good for Netflix, which after raising prices and losing Starz content doesn't need any more bad publicity this month.

#7 ·
Netflix one stream per account glitch

I have been getting annoyed lately because we can only stream on video at a time. So when my kids are watching Netflix through our Apple TV, My wife and I can't watch Netflix on any other device. I phoned Netflix and the CSR I spoke with said that this is normal to be only able to only stream one video at a time. I'm not sure if this is a glitch, but I am able to stream two videos concurrently on two iPhones. I trid this on both my wife and my iPhones. I wonder if it will allow you to stream two videos concurrently on the two of the same devices. I don't have two ATV2's to test this theory.

#10 ·
I think I figured out why I can do this. My iPhone is connected to Unblockus and so is my iMac. So I am able to stream one US Netflix and one Canada Netflix at the same time. So as long as one of my devices is accessing the US Netflix, I'm good to stream two concurrently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.