Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Zip and Samsung announce Canadian movie streaming deal

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  PokerFace 
#1 ·
#6 ·
So, instead of emulating the Netflix business model, they're going to emulate the less successful iTunes rental/Zune Video business model?

Oh well. Maybe they see themselves as complimentary to the Netflix service. So, you use Netflix for the older stuff and pay $5/movie from Zip.ca?

#10 ·
Personally, I hate paying a monthly fee for renting movies. I may be in the minority, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks there isn't enough out there that's worth watching to justify having to watch a certain number per month just to get your money's worth.

The Samsung exclusive part is odd, for sure.

#11 ·
Personally, I hate paying a monthly fee for renting movies.
If I had kids, I certainly would prefer the Netflix model where they just get access to as many movies they want rather than having a surprise bill from the kids watching 15 minutes of 100 different movies to see if they liked them.

Plus, the main criticism of Netflix (that their movies are older) doesn't matter much to me because newer movies aren't necessarily better movies. I've found plenty of movies on Netflix that were pretty good, and which I was previously unaware of.

#12 ·
I have kids, but they watch very few movies, what with Family and YTV lineups. And the older ones are getting into re-watching older shows and movies with us. Re-watching Lost for the second time now; have also done Firefly/Serenity, Star Trek TOS, The Matrix trilogy. Pretty soon will be old-enough for BSG. As a result, we watch very few movies.

#13 ·
Zip's streaming plans: Part 2

http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/issues/story.aspx?aid=1000418639

While Job #1 is distribution, after that comes innovation, he says. So the company plans new and exciting ways to work with smaller or lesser known producers and creators to distribute their content, along with the 'big boys' enabling them to reach a much wider audience.

So, will Zip be a distributor or a broadcaster?

"We're going to be both," Richards replied. "There's no two ways about it."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.