Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Connecting Bell Receivers to Internet - Coming Soon

22K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
Back in May of 2013, Bell told Installers that they intended to roll out a program to connect new installations, to the existing broadband in the home, for enhanced VOD services. Well it sounds like that time is approaching.

I heard yesterday that as of April 6th, I believe it was, all new installations of the 9241, 9241+ and 9400 must be connected to the customers existing broadband connection, wherever possible.

Wireless Dongles are being shipped as are Routers or Switch's and ethernet cables.

I hope to have more details as the days progress.

#2 ·
what good is it? We have our 9400 & 9242 both hooked up to the internet and other then ordering 1080P PPV which we never do, or scheduling a recording via the app there's really no point. Now if we could link the units together thru the home network and watch what is on the other PVR, then I'd be all for it.

#4 ·
Cut & Paste from Bell;

What is the benefit of internet connectivity for receivers?

By connecting the HD PVR to the Internet, customers can access their Bell Remote PVR. Customers can control their TV remotely, using a computer or Smartphone to schedule recordings, browse or search through an online programming guide and manage HD PVR

Receiver connectivity also enables customers to order Pay Per View and Push Video on Demand

Future proof toward any new functionality Bell launches for Satellite TV

#5 ·
Hey Pinza,

Thanks for sharing. How about the 6131's? I have 2 of these and know that they have ethernet ports on the back.

In my opinion, I'm curious why both Bell and Shaw Direct are in such ancient times when it comes to offering better/upgraded satellite services such as some of those offered in the U.S... for the price and the constant price increases, we deserve better!

Thanks again Pinza!

#8 ·
Hey Pinza,

In my opinion, I'm curious why both Bell and Shaw Direct are in such ancient times when it comes to offering better/upgraded satellite services such as some of those offered in the U.S... for the price and the constant price increases, we deserve better!
Because both have relatively profitable wireline products and those who can't get TV via some sort of wireline service have no choice but Bell or Shaw Direct anyways. In short both companies are in a very comfortable position and don't need to do much to attract customers like directv or dish network.

#6 ·
No sign of any other models as yet, because they do not contain the correct drivers for the connections. Maybe these will come in future Software, not sure.

#10 ·
You are indeed correct, the routers/switch's are not from Bell, it sounds like the installers I spoke to are going to provide these if required, or so they think.

#12 ·
Just another attempt to corner the internet streaming market and get a bigger share of the potential revenues. Let people think they are getting something for little cost and create the dependence.....then whamo the prices kick in. Lets face it the new generations under 40 are not viewers of conventional television via conventional means.....this group grows each day as we older folks remain tethered to our cable/sat providers. Personally I think watching television programing on a four inch screen is ridiculous but my grandchildren really love it. The impact is showing up everywhere.....remember when the big box stores had rows of receivers, speakers, stereo equipment, etc......pretty much gone but the miniature area for phones etc has tripled in size. The writing is on the wall or the tablet!!

#13 ·
On April 7th, installers will start connecting 9241s,9400s to a internet router to bring the receiver online. The sole purpose of this is to allow the customer to set the pvr remotely and use the mobile app/remote. The installers will have the option to use power line apapters or wifi dongle or a 6 foot ethernet cable. This will not enable video on demand or anything else at this time.

Also 9242s. 6131s, 6141s,6400s are not being supported in the internet connection upgrade that the installers are doing. The installers are only to connect the receiver to the internet conenction if the customer has a DSL or cable internect connection, with a router.

Setting and controlling the PVR remotely uses very little data, so there is no worries of overages. Bell is not advertising that this enables video on demand.

#14 ·
The reason we decided to hook up our 9400 & 9242 is because the 9242 stays at our US home & my wife likes to set the odd timer from her phone from Canada, if there's a show that she wants to watch after we get there. If it wasn't for that purpose we probably wouldn't bother. I guess we will see what they do in the future in regards to On Demand.

#17 ·
i agree with lunch box, you can "SET" recordings already from the bell remote pvr app without connecting your hdpvr to the internet, but the only thing you CANT do what lunch box forgot to mention is "manage and delete" your recordings from the app, you have to go home if you are out and about, and do this on your tv using your bell remote. hope this helps

#19 ·
Yes, this is nothing new. All Bell is doing is connecting the 9241s and 9400s to the internet for all orders that qualify after April 6th. It will only allow you to manage your PVR recordings and use the Remote control online. There is no new features being added, that people could not already have done the past few years that connecting the receiver to internet already did.

#20 ·
So what is Bell's motivation to do this? It costs them for the wifi dongles or whatever.

That's a rhetorical question: sure right now it's just so we can use the mobile apps but there must be other motivation coming. Maybe it's so they can inventory the locations to prevent account splitting. Or possibly to compete in the VOD market as already discussed. Regardless, it's not just so people can use the mobile apps to create timers.

#21 ·
A couple of years ago I ran some CAT5 though parts of my house, and connected my 9241 to my LAN. At the same time I eliminated the phone connection that Bell used to insist upon, as my 9241 had a habit of not releasing the phone line after attempting to dial out. I rarely order PPV, but the few PPV I have ordered since switching from the phone line have been billed to me correctly.

So far I haven't noticed any other advantages of the net connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.