Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Xbox 360 Defective and Replacement Process...

Tags
lemon pos
73K views 543 replies 136 participants last post by  callummcgraw 
#1 ·
Had 360 now for about 3.5 months, light use. Was working fine Dec 8 at lunch when I popped it on for a few mins to see what might be new to
download, all was well. Never had an issue to date. That evening I turn it on and get the 3 flashing lights. All the troubleshooting didn't work.

Fortunately I bought extended warranty. Call support and find out that
there is no longer free shipping to MS repair, even with warranty, new policy
as of Dec 1. So I bitch and complain and finally get them to ship it free
due to all my previous issues with trying to even buy an extended warranty
(long story, took 5 calls, 2 faxes, and 3 weeks to get).

So now I'm basically without the 360 till after the new year as both I and
the CSR agreed the chances were slim to nil of getting it back before then
with holiday shipping and days off.

So a new console used lightly and properly with no issues to date just dies
out of the blue, no warning at all. Grand :-|

In terms of the replacement process in Cnaada I understand they send new units, not refurbs so that is a plus I guess.

What expereince have people had with the return process? How long does it typically take to get the return box, ship it back, and receive a replacement unit?

See less See more
#128 ·
My box died tonight. It's a launch box. I got it at the Zero Hour event down outside LA and brought it back to Ottawa with me.

It died after installing the auto-update for Guitar Hero 2. I'll let you draw your own conclusions, I'm going to give all parties involved the benefit of the doubt and say it was pure coincidence even though the double-digit list of users complaining about the same issue on the xbox and RedOctane forums would make you think otherwise.

I'm an Xbox Ambassador, Xbox Community Developer and now a disappointed gamer.

$168 to get it fixed. I'll miss it while it's gone.

#129 ·
My 360 died at the beginning of April. The box arrived within 2 days. The Ontario warehouse received it on April 9th, and I have heard nothing since. I just called the Xbox Support and they told me to call back in 2-3 days for an update.... at least I am in the middle of moving to a new house and shouldn't really be playing anyways :)

#133 ·
Kane,

Yeah, it's out of warranty. I actually bought it down at teh 360 Launch event outside LA (Zero Hour). MS charged me $168. that did include shipping both ways but it still sucks.

There is some relatively good news to report though. My box arrived at the service depot this morning and 3 hrs later I received an email with a tracking number saying my box (or a box, not sure if it will be mine) has been shipped out. I should have it tomorrow or friday. That's not too bad since I shipped it out yesterday.

#135 ·
My 360 arrived at lunch today. It's a replacement system and so far so good. The only issue I have now is that I need to be logged into my gamertag to play the arcade games I bought. Not a huge issue but I'm going to give them a call. Arcade games marry to your gamertag and system so that you can play them w/o having to login to an account (and other accounts on the box can play them).

#147 ·
The only issue I have now is that I need to be logged into my gamertag to play the arcade games I bought. Not a huge issue but I'm going to give them a call. Arcade games marry to your gamertag and system so that you can play them w/o having to login to an account (and other accounts on the box can play them).
Quick update to this. What they do is get you to create a silver account on your box. They then credit the silver gamertag with enough MS points to re-buy everything you purchased with your main gamertag. This marries the games to the new system so you can play them either not logged in or under other accounts on the box. In my case my wife had a silver account and wasn't able to play the arcade games I had bought with my account once the new 360 arrived.

If you need to do this, creating a silver account beforehand helps. You can use an existing silver or gold account if you want as long as it's not the account that made the original purchase.

cyas

#136 ·
I just called again for an update after 3 days (like they told me to) and the Xbox CSR told me that I have to wait until April 30 for an update, and that they are in the process of moving the Canadian repair centre which is causing delays. I guess I will have to escalate my case to a supervisor on Monday when I call. I wonder effective that will be.

#138 ·
FREE repaire *** I hope ***

I guess this is my lucky day ... i have fallow this thread: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/09/microsoft_dismi.html (go to the end of the page) and look like MS has finnally re-enable the FREE repaire for the 360 ... but here is what i did ... i have already call for repaire in the past, but like you they have refuse to knowledge the FREE repaire so i wait, and voila, someone has annonce the FREE is back as on 4/20. This time i toke different aproche, open my online support case, i cut and pasted all the links that pointed to a FREE repaire and then at the end show the link above and told then peoples are now getting all the 2005 repair for FREE started 4/20 ... wait one day, and today i call back with the new online case # ... and sure enought the CR just go thru the reading and link that to my previous unsolve case and then procese to have me the shipping box and all the instruction, and then he said it will be all FREE ... YES! ... hope some one will be lucky too ... OH! this is CANADA XBOX support ... good luck everyone ... Mabye because i spoke to them in FRENCH too so support is different :)

#139 ·
You were lucky with the french support?? I don't believe you!

Honnêtement, le gars avec qui j'ai parlé, en français, je n'ai rien compris de ce qu'il m'a dit.. tellement plus facile de comprendre et de se faire comprendre en anglais

As-tu le nom du CR avec qui tu as dealé? Si oui.. donne le nous.. on sera peut etre plus chanceux la prochaine fois.

#140 ·
Le gars m'a juste laisser son prenom: Mark, donc un Ontarien, il ne par pas tres bien le francaise mais a force de repeter 3 fois, il reussi a comprendre ... je vous suggert fortement d'aller sur xbox.com et ouvrir un support online et mettre ce liens: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/09/microsoft_dismi.html (voir les derniers commentaires) ... ou bien insterer lui a transferer au dep. du Hardware ... j'attends la boite en ce moment, je vais vous faire un suivie .... bonne chance

#142 ·
Red Lights of Death

So yesterday I tried downloading Shimmering Isles expansion for Oblivion. 2% into the download I get the dreaded 3 red lights of death. Unplug and let sit, even blew some canned air into it and got it running for another few minutes and then it hung. This was an initial run Xbox 360 that I thought had passed the test of time, as I've used it on and off since it's purchase back in 2005. Apparently I did not escape the dreaded bad production run.

Hopefully with the above posts of encouragement I can get it repaired before the Halo 2 beta test ends and for free... Otherwise it looks like I may be in for an Elite purchase.

#149 ·
box arrived and the xbox is now shipped

well, just in two business days, the box the my 2005 xbox have arrived from the ontario repaire center, and my 2005 xbox is now back to them, they should have it by tomorrow, as confirmed by the Puro guy ... i will update when i receive the replacement ... anyway just hope all 2005 xboxer out there will get their consoles fixed for FREE ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.