Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Xbox 360 Defective and Replacement Process...

Tags
lemon pos
73K views 543 replies 136 participants last post by  callummcgraw 
#1 ·
Had 360 now for about 3.5 months, light use. Was working fine Dec 8 at lunch when I popped it on for a few mins to see what might be new to
download, all was well. Never had an issue to date. That evening I turn it on and get the 3 flashing lights. All the troubleshooting didn't work.

Fortunately I bought extended warranty. Call support and find out that
there is no longer free shipping to MS repair, even with warranty, new policy
as of Dec 1. So I bitch and complain and finally get them to ship it free
due to all my previous issues with trying to even buy an extended warranty
(long story, took 5 calls, 2 faxes, and 3 weeks to get).

So now I'm basically without the 360 till after the new year as both I and
the CSR agreed the chances were slim to nil of getting it back before then
with holiday shipping and days off.

So a new console used lightly and properly with no issues to date just dies
out of the blue, no warning at all. Grand :-|

In terms of the replacement process in Cnaada I understand they send new units, not refurbs so that is a plus I guess.

What expereince have people had with the return process? How long does it typically take to get the return box, ship it back, and receive a replacement unit?

See less See more
#96 ·
They did not ask for any documentation from me, but my console was already registered and also had a service contract on it.

As far as the questions about what I may have received from Microsoft, I don't think it's appropriate for me to publish it. In my view, I have no idea whether the gesture was a typical approach or not and, in any event, I wouldn't consider it fair game to make it public without Microsoft's knowledge or approval.

I will say that it was reasonable, not over the top, recognition of my inconvenience as a customer. It was neither extravagant nor anything that would make the hassle profitable. It was simply a nice gesture by sending me something from their catalogue.

#98 ·
As far as the questions about what I may have received from Microsoft, I don't think it's appropriate for me to publish it.

It was simply a nice gesture by sending me something from their catalogue.
Very good, at least MS is looking after the customers, cheers! :cool:

#99 ·
I'm pretty sure MS is aware there are some major issues with support. Although I have been frustrated with them they do seem to be trying to make thigns work but there are some major problems in how their system and call centers work. Hopefully they get it fixed up.

#100 ·
It was simply a nice gesture by sending me something from their catalogue.
That's good to hear, they probably don't realize that the PR from tokens like that does ripple across more than just one's friends list. As someone who didn't have to go through the MS route to replace my xbox(es), it is nice to hear that they are working to 'make right' any issues they get made aware of. If I ever need to engage that warranty process (*knocks wood*), I hope it goes smoothly.

#102 ·
It took me 12 days to get my empty box, 1 day to send it back, 1 day for them to receive it......now I'm at 8 days since they've recieved my box and I haven't heard anything from them.

22 days so far for me and I'm currently waiting for some sort of confirmation that they are shipping me a replacement/repaired xbox.

#103 ·
I got my empty box in 3 business days. Dropped it off @ Purolator the following evening, arrived at Vaughn depot the following day. Now waiting for the replacement to arrive.

Not to speculate about what JohnnyC did or didn't receive from M$, but I did read in a thread somewhere (maybe here?) about M$ reviewing your gaming history from your profile and offering a newer title game that fits your playing history as compensation for the hassle that some have went through.

#104 ·
Ok. Xbox was sent by Purolator on Jan 20 and according to Purolator's tracking number was signed for in Vaughn on the 23rd. My son called MS today (Feb 2) to find out when to expect it and was told that they had no record of having received it!!!!!!!!!!! The MS dude was apparently very polite and not surprised that they had no record. He took my son's word for it that they received it on the 23rd and promised that a new xbox would be shipped out today and would take 3 to 5 business days to receive. How many more promises is MS going to make? That is now over a month of the warantee time and Gold memebership time that we havent had the xbox. All of this despite the fact that I have been in touch with MS Canada's head office and had assurances that my repair would be expedited. This is a joke.

#105 ·
Quote from mprenter: 22 days so far for me and I'm currently waiting for some sort of confirmation that they are shipping me a replacement/repaired xbox.

Call them they will not send you any notification, they promised me they would but never did. I called them every two or three days and finally they said they would be sending a replacement.

I think they wait to receive your unit in Texas and then determine if they will fix it or replace it. If they decide to replace it, they send a message to Vaughan and Vaughan sends out the replacement unit to you directly.

It took me about 3 weeks to receive the replacement after dropping it off myself at the Vaughan location. They do not repair them there, this I was told by the staff that work there. They bulk send them to Texas late every afternoon.

Good Luck!

WW

#106 ·
I was told by the rep I talked to yesterday that all units in Canada are replaced, not repaird. So you do not get your own repaired unit back...you get a replacement. He did not say if it was with a refurbished unit or a new one. I would suspect it is refurbished.

#108 ·
I've had the red-ring-of-death for a few days now. Started with a couple of games freezing, then didn't boot up at all. My 360 was on original launch console (actually, I got it a full week before the official launch date, thanks to Pepsi's contest!).

I just placed a call this morning to Xbox. I actually got someone from N.America, which was a pleasant surprise.

She's sending out the box for me to ship the console back to them. She said I should expect the box in 3-4 business days, and the whole process should take approximately 2 weeks (not holding my breath there!).

Anyway, she was really nice on the phone, so my 1st initial contact was good. Let's see how the rest goes.

#109 ·
Sounds like how my story started Very friendly and helpful. Ganted she was totally wrong and after a month I still had nothing. So hopefully you will have better luck but don't be too confident until you actually have a working console in your hands.

#110 ·
Well I thought I should post my story. It has been about a month since my console died and my first phone call.

It took 3 phone calls and about 3 weeks before I received the box (which shipped from 20km away from my house). The night I received the box I placed my dead system in it and shipped it out. 1 day later it was delivered.

It has now been another week and a half since they have received my console and I have no shipping information nor does MS for my returned console. Worse yet for them to "track" down what is going on they sent an email which could take up to 7 business days to get a response. I find it a little funny that emails take longer then the post office to deliver a letter across the planet...

#111 ·
Well kids, my story is a bit happier than most.

My Pre-Launch (Pepsi contest) 360 finally died on me two weeks ago.

Two days after my call, the box arrived. I tracked it and it arrived to be fixed the following day.

It was just delivered back to my home this afternoon.

I haven't hooked it up yet, but all things considered, not a bad turnaround time.

Now, I can finally play some Crackdown!

#112 ·
After getting my box in about 5 business days and sending it back same day, it has been about 2 weeks.

called today, it is in the service center, but they have no status on it. Said they have sent a request for status update that can take 3-5 days blah blah blah.

I want to play Lego Starwars!

#113 ·
Darth, I'm in the same boat as you with my Pepsi pre-launch console.

My 360 just died, placed call on Saturday, so waiting for my shipping box.

I'm hoping as mine was a pre-launch console that I'll get a new one.

Oh, and the new consoles with a manufacturing date of Nov 2006 have the quieter Benq DVD drive. Hopefully I'll get one of those!

#114 ·
Update. Despite MS telling me on Friday that they had no record of it (I got the same email that takes a week story) my replacement unit showed up yesterday. Thats 6 weeks after the first phone call. My son has been playing it non stop ever since I set it up again (withdrawl).

#115 ·
Well I got my 360 back today. It took 19 days, I think, from first phone call made last month. It's not the same unit as the one I sent back. I can't see any obvious signs of use but I assume it's a refurb. Manufacture date is close to my original. It works so far, but I haven't played a game yet. And no GoW thrown in the box. Damn!
Overall my experience has been as painless as possible I guess.

#118 ·
Got my replacement today. It is a different box, with an erlier manufacturing date than my original, and it is cleary stickered as a refurb.

I think it may actually be louder than my first one.

Why oh why can't someone make me a quiet replacement fan for my xbox. 3.5 weeks total wait time from first call.

#119 ·
I finally got my replacement too. Total time from initial call to receiving my replacement unit was 26 days. My replacement has a manufacturing date which is 2 months newer than my original box. It had the protective stickers on the IR plate and drive drawer. The box looks new....but is not. I found a small dirt smudge on the faceplate, but I kept my original faceplate so that's not a problem. Other than that, no scratches or scuffs. And it works.....so far. :)

/\/\ark

#120 ·
Well, I have to say that I'm impressed with M$'s turnaround time for me.

I placed the initial call on February 3rd, and I had my replacement delivered Feb 13th.

The new manufacturing date on the 360 is Dec 8th 2006, which is great by me, considering I had an original pre-launch console.

Haven't really given it a good test yet, but I did play a few mins of the Crackdown demo, and all seemed good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.