Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Xbox 360 Defective and Replacement Process...

Tags
lemon pos
73K views 543 replies 136 participants last post by  callummcgraw 
#1 ·
Had 360 now for about 3.5 months, light use. Was working fine Dec 8 at lunch when I popped it on for a few mins to see what might be new to
download, all was well. Never had an issue to date. That evening I turn it on and get the 3 flashing lights. All the troubleshooting didn't work.

Fortunately I bought extended warranty. Call support and find out that
there is no longer free shipping to MS repair, even with warranty, new policy
as of Dec 1. So I bitch and complain and finally get them to ship it free
due to all my previous issues with trying to even buy an extended warranty
(long story, took 5 calls, 2 faxes, and 3 weeks to get).

So now I'm basically without the 360 till after the new year as both I and
the CSR agreed the chances were slim to nil of getting it back before then
with holiday shipping and days off.

So a new console used lightly and properly with no issues to date just dies
out of the blue, no warning at all. Grand :-|

In terms of the replacement process in Cnaada I understand they send new units, not refurbs so that is a plus I guess.

What expereince have people had with the return process? How long does it typically take to get the return box, ship it back, and receive a replacement unit?

See less See more
#295 ·
Well, my 2nd Xbox just died. How's this for timing: 20 minutes into Halo 3 after standing in line at BestBuy at midnight... Yup.

It's my 2nd death, 1st one was only 5 months ago.

Coffin is on the way, I'm told 3-4 weeks turn around time. I was soooo pissed. Actually I still am. I ended up finding and buying a core system and I'm contemplating keeping it as a "backup" console. I can't believe I just said that, but it's the only way to keep my sanity. What kicks me in the nuts a bit too is the Core system actually runs quieter than my Pro machine...

#297 ·
I was soooo pissed. Actually I still am. I ended up finding and buying a core system and I'm contemplating keeping it as a "backup" console.
You showed them!

I called this one in saturday, got the coffin today...maybe they should just send me my next replacement with a pre-paid shipping label and a notice to hang on to the packaging. Might save a few hectares of forest anyways...

#296 ·
I got the RROD on my 2nd unit at end of august, the coffin was shipped to me on Aug 31, and I got my purolator courier tag yesterday. So turnaround in the GTA seems to be <4 wks.

I also called them in regard to live membership, they also send you a 1 month extension now too.

#299 ·
I've been reading on the internet that alot of units are getting RROD from playing HALO 3 ! as well as "dirty disc errors".

I sent out my first unit that broke, took 6 weeks to get it back yesterday, plugged it in it started doing a xbox update through live and all of sudden it died and went 3 red lights again !, it didn't even last 5 minutes.

Id switch over to a PS3 but already got to much money wasted into 40+ games and the hd dvd.. This sucks

#300 ·
I got the RRoD yesterday after playing Halo 3 for a couple of hours, coffin on the way. It is a launch console and I have never had any problems before, except a noisy power supply, that MS replaced. It is still working sometimes, and judging by peoples experiences here, I'm not sure I should even send it in if it continues to work. I assumed that anything I got back from the repair center would be better than a launch console, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Definitely not looking forward to being without my XBOX for 3 weeks, especially because it is my only DVD player... What should I do? Send it in and hope I get a good replacement or just hold onto it until it stops working completely (which I think may happen soon anyways...)?

#305 ·
oh mna, this doesn't sound like its going to be pleasant... Anyways, my 360 kept locking up on me all last night, so I don't think I'm going to have the option of keeping it. I'll just cross my fingers and hope I get a new or refurb console that works and that I get it in a decent amount of time. I'll keep you posted.

#306 ·
well, i finally got my coffin...original call made Sept 9th, box arrived Oct 15th. hopefully the turn around on the new system will be faster. thank god for my new elite. i couldn't imagine trying to play ranked halo 3 online a couple of weeks late to the party. hope you have better luck douggyd

#307 ·
Just a quick update, I phoned XBOX support Oct 13th, received the box Oct. 18th and shipped it Oct. 20th. They received it at the repair center today (Oct. 23rd). I'll let you know when I get it back, but so far so good...

#308 ·
Dead again

Hi all,
This is my 2nd time posting on this section.My replacement m360 died Monday morn.The red ring of death!Lasted just over a year.So on the phone with MS and now awaiting yet again for the ellusive box to arrive.Hoping to have a relpacement 360 by Christmas,but it's anybody's guess,I know I had a hell of a time with the last one.I had quite a heated discussion with them on the phone as I remember.Is the return postage paid now,or are you still responsible for it?

Ed

#311 ·
360 box

Thanks guys,good to know.Since my last post a couple housr back I have received the "box" by Purlator,I was very suprised.I just boxed it up put the lable on,and will be taking it to the depot in a bit.If all goes mwell like myou said it should be alot faster turn around than last time.I'll be keeping a close eye on the tracking # every day.

Thanks again
Ed

#314 ·
haha, so true. I got my replacement XBOX on Friday, so almost 2 weeks exactly from the initial call to new XBOX, much quicker and less painful than expected. The new XBOX works, so thats a bonus, I think it is a bit louder than my original launch console, which is kind of depressing, but at least it works, so I guess I should be happy. I am a little surprised they don't extend the warranty when you get a 'certified Microsoft XBOX 360 replacement console' though. In theory, you could get a replacement, then have it die within a year, but outside of warranty and be left holding the bag. Not sure how long MS will be able to stick with that policy. They have already changed their warranty policy at tleast twice, may be time for another change...

#315 ·
As I posted couple weeks before, my Sept 2006 xbox died with RROD.
Received box from MS, but was able to prolong life with "towel trick".
Finally it died. Sent it to repair depo by Purolator on Oct 20th, got it back on Oct 25th.
Maybe I just got lucky, but this is how long it took.
I'm from Toronto. Has been working w/out problems so far.
BTW, women at Purolator depot said they are getting at least 50 xboxes a week.

#316 ·
Has anybody received their reimbursement cheques for repairs they paid for? Mine went in in June and they extended the warranty while it was in for repair. Unfortunately, they charged my credit card immediately when I made the first phone call, so I have to get reimbursed. That's 4 months I've waited now.

#318 ·
360- the return

Well I must say,I got the surprise of my life yesterday,when I got a knock at the door.It was thr puralator gal with my replacement 360.I talked to them the day before and they told me to call next week for a tracking nimber to track the new one comming back.Much much faster service this time.Let's hope the 3rd one is a charm.They included a free month of LIVE,that's new also.Doubt if i'll use it. But a nice jesture.
I can't get onto the marketplace.Is everyone else locked out for the time being also?

ED

#323 ·
Xbox 360?

Hi guys I'm sort of new to this forum, but it seems like a friendly place for people to give you advice. So right now i was wondering if i should get an Xbox 360 Premium thats new for $300. I ask this because I'm scared of all the complaints i get from my peers about the RROD and how some of them just break down easily. Could anyone help me out on this? And how many of you have had this problem? how long did it take before the problem started?:confused:

#325 ·
Hi guys I'm sort of new to this forum, but it seems like a friendly place for people to give you advice. So right now i was wondering if i should get an Xbox 360 Premium thats new for $300. I ask this because I'm scared of all the complaints i get from my peers about the RROD and how some of them just break down easily. Could anyone help me out on this? And how many of you have had this problem? how long did it take before the problem started?:confused:
7 out of my 10 immediate friends have had the RROD. I have also had friends of mine online also report the RROD on their console and I have had it happen on 1 of my own. General reports of replacement units have been pretty decent with an occasional anecdote about long wait times to get the console back or getting back a refurb only to have it go RROD again shortly after. The time to RROD varies. My console took about 50 hours of play time before it RROD'd on me (which is fairly unusual). My other one is fine at waay more playtime. My friends all had their failures at various times, but most were well into the console's life like 8 months - 1.5 years before failure.

Having said all that, I have been hearing less RROD reports from newer consoles but my direct group still has refurbs of older consoles so I can't say much for my personal experiences with the newer ones.

MS has stepped up with the RROD warranty and other than an inconvenience, it has worked out decently for most.If you buy it from a place that has 30 day money back guarantees, I would definitely try to play it a lot since the RRODs were typically GPU heatsync/heat related and it may show itself sooner than later if it is going to happen, but that's my own personal preference. I usually burn-in (no pun intended) my consumer electronics when I first buy them to see if it exposes any unit specific manufacturing defect or component defect.

I think if you are interested in buying a 360, you should go for it. The premium is a decent sku and now contains HDMI so I don't see any reason why you should hold off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.