Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Pace Summit (DC758D) thread

430K views 890 replies 213 participants last post by  Brakner 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is for discussion of the Pace Summit (DC758D).

Firmware Release Notes

User's Guide

FAQ:

1. How do I get into diagnostics?

To get to those diagnostics, press the power button, then press the select button within two seconds. To leave, press the power button.

2. How can I format the eSATA HDD?

While on the main diagnostics page (not the dashboard page), press

Repeat
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
LIVE

*MyDVR may be LIST on your remote depending on your cable provider

this will bring up a screen where you can select the drive to format and subsequently format the drive. After a few seconds, the box will reboot. After reboot, the drive will be available for use (the format is a two phase process so the initial format GUI may appear to be very quick).

Be aware that formatting the drive can't be undone and you will lose all the content on the drive. Do not use this screen unless absolutely necessary.

3. What are the discrete Power On/Off codes?

* HEX 4A (0x4A) for Power On
* HEX 4B (0x4B) for Power Off

4. Why is TV Guide indicating that my disk is not full when its definitely not full?

This is a bug in the guide. Most of the time, the only way to resolve it is to reboot your box. Sometimes (but very rarely) if you delete a recording, it may recover and get out of the error state.

5. How do I get into Pace User Settings?

Press the Power Button on the remote and then Menu. This will allow you to change a variety of settings. Press the Power button to return to live TV.

6. What is the PowerMenu?

It is the same as Pace User Settings (older name for the same function).

See less See more
#2 ·
Known issues in this release:

3. DVR recordings may be broken into one minute segments.
I put in an order for this unit and would like to know about this "issue". Does this mean a 60 min recording could be broken up into 60 segments on the DVR expander? Is it only certain units that have this problem or does it affect ALL units? Is this a once in a while problem or consistent?

Any info would be appreciated.

#7 ·
Does this mean a 60 min recording could be broken up into 60 segments on the DVR expander?
First of all, the problem should be relatively rare/infrequent. If/when it does happen, what you may see is one (or a couple) of one minute recordings followed by the duration of the program you were trying to record.

As some Digital Home Canda users know, we've been looking into the problem for quite a bit now and its not been easy to replicate. The times we have seen it would indicate that the problem may be an issue in TV Guide, but I can't definitively state the source of the bug yet.

#3 ·
Hi there guys

I've never heard of this Pace unit before, i've never even seen it around except just now when i was checking out bestbuys website to see if the motorola hdpvr was on sale

any idea where i can find more info about this unit?? not even the shaw site has info about it other than a picture of it in their banner.(edit: seems like i should check out these forums more often, never knew PACE was so prevalent with Shaw)
edit2: wow never knew i never posted on these forums, Hi all ^^

thnx

#4 ·
I've experienced both issues with my 3080 in the past, (1 minute segments recordings and the full HDD when it's not really full).

I modded my 3080 by upgrading the HDD to a 160GB and adding a sata port in the back to be able to connect other HDDs from the outside and encountered the 1-minute recording issue a couple of times, called Shaw, we couldn't figure it out. After a bit of troubleshooting I figured out that it was a bad sata cable connector that was cracked and not connecting properly that was causing all my issues. I discontinued the use of my mod and reconnected the motherboard directly to the HDD and problem solved. I suspect here that maybe the cable/connector of the expander or Summit might be the source of the problem.

I used to encounter the Full HDD bug a while back and what would clear it is deleting a recording and it would clear the issue so now I always leave a short recording on the HDD ready to be deleted if the issue comes back, it's been like 6 months now and never had the problem but I still leave the recording on the HDD just in case.

#6 ·
Just picked one up

Hello,

My DCT-6412 died on the weekend and was out of warranty...I went and picked up the 758D with the expander from shaw yesterday. Seemed like a better deal than getting one with a built in 160GB drive for the same price. My question (and forgive me if this is partially answered by the discrete codes above as I know nothing of how this works) but I have a harmony remote and I'm wondering how they will handle the fact that the box is simply an HD cable box but with the expander it turns into a PVR...will the codes for the 758D (assuming they even have them) provide PVR functionality do you think?

#9 ·
Hello,

My DCT-6412 died on the weekend and was out of warranty...I went and picked up the 758D with the expander from shaw yesterday. Seemed like a better deal than getting one with a built in 160GB drive for the same price. My question (and forgive me if this is partially answered by the discrete codes above as I know nothing of how this works) but I have a harmony remote and I'm wondering how they will handle the fact that the box is simply an HD cable box but with the expander it turns into a PVR...will the codes for the 758D (assuming they even have them) provide PVR functionality do you think?
I too would really like to know the answer to this. I did a search in Harmony's database and they do recognize the box, but it's unclear if it handles PVR functionality as well. Either way I'll be finding out once they are delivered post Oct 10th so if no one posts an answer by then - I'll report back.

I'll be returning both items if I can't utilize my harmony remote. It's pretty much a home theatre necessity. lol

#14 ·
I bought the Pace DC758D and it has been working great!

I have a question with this box can I format any old external hardrive to act as the expander?
I used an old SATA 500gb Western Digital drive from a Mac and a Vantec NexStar ESATA case. Had to power off the box, leave it for 60 and plug it back in. It was recognized and has been working great - aside from the electric blue access light on the drive that flashes constantly (have to disconnect that). I have been able to watch/record 2 shows and record 2 shows no problem. No issues with false full warnings or 1 minute recordings.

I too would really like to know the answer to this. I did a search in Harmony's database and they do recognize the box, but it's unclear if it handles PVR functionality as well. Either way I'll be finding out once they are delivered post Oct 10th so if no one posts an answer by then - I'll report back.
I programmed my harmony for the unit using DC-757X. It will need some tweaking, but so far playback controls work, as well as the guide functions.

#18 ·
Is 757 a typo or are you using a code for an older/other model?
When I setup the device in the Harmony Software (using the PVR Section) it did not recognize it and asked if I had a remote. I told it no as I did not want to program the whole thing button by button. It then suggesed I used that model and it worked perfectly. There may be a couple buttons to learn, but I haven't had time to sit with both remotes and look for something missing.

#19 ·
Could you please provide the technical specifications of this unit in the opening post? Is it MPEG4/AVC and Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 channel capable like the new (but as yet un-introduced) Motorola DCX3400?

I'm Looking for something a little more futureproof than the current Motorola DCT3416 offering from Shaw, just incase they start distributing the programming utilizing the newer codecs within the expected lifetime of the unit (wishful thinking, I know).

Thank you,
The REAL Joe

#22 ·
Could you please provide the technical specifications of this unit in the opening post?
Not sure why, but I don't seem to have the ability to edit the first post. I've asked the mods for the authority. Will update it later if I can.

Is it MPEG4/AVC and Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 channel capable like the new (but as yet un-introduced) Motorola DCX3400?
The hardware is capable of both. The initial software release supports MPEG-4 content.

#20 ·
Also, the .PDF manual has an image of the back of the unit, and shows a normal keyed Sata connector - is this a misprint? Does it use a proper eSata connector (the keyed standard versions are for internal cable use which has significantly less shielding and much less robust connectors than eSata does.

Thanks,
The REAL Joe

#23 ·
Does it use a proper eSata connector (the keyed standard versions are for internal cable use which has significantly less shielding and much less robust connectors than eSata does.
Yes, it uses a proper eSATA connector and not an internal connector.

#24 · (Edited)
Caption Font Case & Scrolling Problem

Changing caption font (at times) appears to be non-complying to the setup and switches back to uppercase no matter which style is selected. Very bad caption font just reminds me of old telex machines. :mad: Also caption lines scrolling seems not smooth and some parts of lines disappear at times.:(

It appears that caption font switch back occurs when channel is changed from HD to non HD.

#26 ·
I've set mine up as a Motorola DCT-6412 in my Harmony 880 and all functions are working fine. Was much easier than "learning" all the missing buttons.

#29 ·
Has anyone here used a external drive enclosure with this unit?

Edit:

Just called Shaw who won't enable the DVR function for use with other branded external drives.

YOU MUST USE THE "Western Digital 1TB Expander Hard Driv
I am using a 500GB Western Digital Drive in a Vantec eSata external enclosure - works like a charm. Shaw did not have to enable anything - when the device detected an external drive, (after a 60 second power off), it asked to format the drive and then was available to TimeShift and PVR

#31 ·
Use 2 PACE Summits with 1 HD?

Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible to share an external HDD with 2 Summits (not at the same time, detach then attach to another)? I know with certain DCTs the recording list is on the internal HDD of the box but this one does not have an internal drive. So, the list must be stored on the external HDD. Has anyone tried this out? You would need 2 Pace DC758D units to test.

Thanks

#32 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible to share an external HDD with 2 Summits (not at the same time, detach then attach to another)?
You can move eSATA drives between Summits, but the recordings made on one box will not be visible nor are they deletable on the other Summit(s).

#34 ·
As far as Shaw boxes go, they all use the same codes (remote). This is one of the largest downfalls as it means you have to be really creative to make more than one work in any given room. Addressable remotes would be a really nice feature to have come along in the next firmware update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.