Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Central Ohio: SBGH newbie needs some help

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  boogeman 
#1 ·
Hello everyone first time here. Had a few questions for you smart guys. I built my first sbgh its as close to the gen1 gh6 on Nikimls site as i could get. Here is my tvfool report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=d2438897e00723 . The antenna is on the second floor of my home buy a window. I get most channels north of me pretty good except woio 19 and 29.1 . Now 19 is in cleveland but they also are transmitting off a tower in akron which according to tvfool i should get. All i can get is a very poor signal which i think is coming from the cleveland tower. Very confused. Also channel 29 has a analog and a digital signal but all i get is a very fuzzy analog signal. Any suggestions much appreciated. Also should i try a different sbgh model.

#2 ·
boogeman, some basic questions to start.

How many tv's connected?

Sounds like this is inside? Any chance of trying it outside? Any way to go higher? Are there obstructions like trees etc facing the desired station?

Where do you currently have it aimed? Provide compass heading, please.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mr. Flint. Yes its inside on second floor. One tv is hooked up. I dont have a heading as i dont have a compass. I know which way is basically north then scan for channels move the antenna a little and scsn some more. Have probably scanned a million times in the last two days hehe. At the present time i cant go higher. Nothing too major as far as i can tell in the way just your typical tree here and there in naboring lawns.

#5 ·
Wouldn't get too hung up on the analog...
The stations in your tvfool with callsigns of -LP, are Low Power class analog transmitters (some may be repeaters?? didn't look very deep). There can also be some cases of Low Power digital out there and TVfool just not updated yet to reflect digital.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/low-power-television-lptv

In any case, the remaining low power analog stations have until Sep 2015 to convert Low Power Analog Transmitters to Low Power Digital, or shut down.
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/dtv-transition-and-lptv-class-translator-stations

Agree, get your antenna outside up above the roof line if at all possible. The FCC and by extension the broadcasters' engineering assumptions / planning is based on
the end user having an outdoor antenna 30 feet high.

#7 ·
boogeman,

You can use the Maps section of TvFool to help you point the antenna without a compass. Select "Satellite" view, "Pending" stations, and "Show lines pointing to each transmitter". Then you can zoom in on the map to see landmarks to help you aim the antenna. This also verifies that TvFool has located you correctly. Then click "Make Radar Plot" to see the usual TvFool report.

Regards,

Hugh

#8 ·
im in ohio too south of u but to help thing of the following the balun aka transformer yo convert to coax could be issue. i used a radio shack one and some channels wouldnt come in changed to a havy duty channel master one 8 bucks off ebay and much better if u want cheap local one get exterior rca one from lowes.that said how long a coax are u running?i use quad shielded coax and also have a rca preamp 21 bucks from walmart.no matter what the preamp is a major help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.