Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Low Cost ISP

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Tezster 
#1 ·
I am not working right now but I want to get off dial up internet access. I am located in Toronto and can only afford between 10 and $20. I would like unlimited if that is possible. I know some ISP offer a few months within my price range but then go up in price to well over my price range. Can anyone think of any ISP that might have what I am lookingt for?

#2 ·
Not to my knowledge. I've cheaped out and gotten 512 kbits up / 512 kbits down from Teksavvy at $24.95 per month. And you have to either buy or rent an ADSL modem on top of that. Teksavvy offers a choice of unlimited bandwidth on a higher-latency connection or 200 gigs on a lower-latency connection. Bell and Rogers also have broadband-lite type plans, but their entry-level plans have a 2 gig cap, and the next step up is 20 or 25 gigs, and also more expensive. Teksavvy is subject to Bell's P2P throttling. You're not going to get any better.

#3 ·
If you want it cheap, you have to go with Bell or Rogers, who can offer it cheaper "to themselves", in essence.

Any third party ISP will be paying around $20 just to have your line hooked up.
If you want the unlimited, as Walter said, teksavvy's $25 unlimited 512 is your best bet.
Bell's lowest plan is 22.95 (forget the introductory offer and bundle crap, this is ultimately what you'll end up paying :p)
Vs the $2 more for unlimited

I don't think you'll find internet service under $20 without a contract (which will then increase in rate) aside from dial-up in Canada.
Welcome to monopolies :)

#4 ·
Rogers/Bell is more expensive than 3rd party providers...
I don't know how others can offer DSL on Bell lines, with more bandwidth CAP and less $$$/month, but they do...
A friend mentioned that Acanac had a 1 year special price of around $20/month for 5mb service, so you might want to check them out

#5 ·
If you are really under the gun for cash ... have you considered Toronto Free Net? http://www.torfree.net/AboutFN/membership.html Yes, it's dial-up so obviously not "unlimited". But if you aren't working, and don't want to schlep to your local library (where access is completely free), it's option you might not have considered.

I doubt if you will find a reseller of DSL under $20/mth given the high fees they pay to Bell for access.

#6 ·
If you live in an apartment/condo -or even a semi- and you're on good terms with your neighbours, you can approach them and ask to share a wi-fi connection on a temporary basis, then share the cost of the (single) subscription.

For casual/light internet use, and so long as everyone involved understands all the possible security and/or privacy issues surrounding this arrangement, it can work quite well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.