Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

denon avr-588 help needed

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  luconis 
#1 ·
I bought a denon avr-588 about a month and a half ago, and while up until today had no problems with it. However when I turned it on today, it didnt work (it had been working properly last night).

Basically what it is doing now is when the power switch is on, it goes to standby mode, and there is a red light that stays on constantly. Normally when I hit the power putton, it switches to green, and everything works fine.

But now when I hit the power button, it goes to green for about 3 seconds, and appears to work fine, but then suddenly the light just begins to flash red, and nothing works.

I checked the manual for my reciever, and it had listed this as one of the problems in its troubleshooting guide, but the only solution it offered for this problem was to make sure the power cable was connected properly. It seemed fine, but still didnt work, and as of now I have tried plugging it in to a different outlet on my surge protector (everything else connected to the surge prottector is working fine), I tried unplugging everything else and trying the reciever, I tried a different surge protector, and tried pluging it directly into the wall, and tried a completely different outlet. But I still get the same result.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
According to the owner's manual, the "power cord" cause is attributed to the symptom of "Power does not turn on, or turns off directly after it was turned on."

However, for "Power turns off suddenly and power indicator flashing red" (and you mentioned the flashing indicator):
  • Protection circuit activated due to rise of internal temperature.
  • Core wires of two speakers are touching each other or a core wire is sticking out of the terminal and touching the set's rear panel, activating the protection circuit.
  • Speakers with an impedance other than specified are being used.
  • Set is damaged.

#5 ·
Allright. Thank you guys, I appreciate your help.

I tried it again earlier today, and still no luck though.
I think the set must be damaged somehow, because it does the same thing when I dont even have speaker wire connected to the receiver.

I think I'm just going to use my warranty and send it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.