Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Yamaha, Denon or Pioneer Elite, that is the question

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  some_dude 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new a/v receiver, my old technics has served me well but the time has come to move on to something new. After reading and reading and listening and thinking it comes down to the following options:

Denon AVR-988: on sale at Future Shop right now. Only 2 HDMI inputs and rather tight area for hooking up speakers. Also have read that it requires a firmware update to decode some of the HD audio.

Yamaha RX1800 (aka 6190b). Listened to the RX1800 at a specialty shop. The 6190b is essentially the same receiver and is pretty pricey at Future Shop right now . The unit sounds pretty good but the scaler is apparently lacklustre for up-converting video.

Pioneer Elite VSX-92THX. Listened to this as well and it sounded very good to me. (I know the new models are coming out ). Would like to hear some owners opinions. This is slightly (by about 100 bucks) out my preferred range but it is on sale so I'm really considering it.

Other options: Wait and take a look at some of the new receivers coming out.... however I'd rather stay closer to the 1000 dollar range if possible. The Pioneer 1018 is of interest due to the specs and the price.... but not sure it would be what I'm looking for.

This has been a tough decision process. Any thoughts or ideas? I'd love to hear them.

Ben:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Based on my shopping around, the Denon 3808 is about the cheapest AVR that does all the "good" stuff with no major lackings. If you want to do fancier video manipulation, you may want something better, like some Onkyo models for not much more/less. They have plenty of their own problems though. The 3808 price is going up in a couple weeks. My experience has been to let the SOURCE do any video manipulations, it rarely ends up done better by something downstream (AVR, display), but you never know and you should try it and see.

The 988 is much cheaper for a reason. I suggest you check out the difference between what manufacturers say their amps do, and what they really do...huge difference for most brands/models. And it does have some limitations on what it decodes and how: check your sources or those you want to buy. It is not a bad deal though, if you can still actually find one at FS. They are being blown out all over NA right now.

Short answer: if you want good audio performance of any sort, do not shop at FS/BB/2001/etc. They stop in models before the even half-assed good stuff starts, they sell brand names not performance. If you buy a brand name now based on the way they used to be or on some fuzzy recollection from your youth (many people do!) you could be making a serious mistake. Too bad we can't get Technics now though, really too bad...

#3 ·
Denon 988 is not compatible with Samsung TV(?)

Hi,

Based on what I read from same page, to save you a trip, another member reported that he got no video from Denon 988 with his newest model Samsung HDMI TV, handshake problems. Just so you know.

Yamaha's own YPAO calibration is not as approachable as Audessy as I read from a professional review, hence you may not get the best and most out of the Yamaha and the money you spend on. I agree with you the sound is good.

On the sound performance, it is up to your orientation, I only hope the above helps.

#4 ·
^ That is one important reason why I mentioned the 3808. If you're willing you can go "deluxe"/Pro Audyssey with dynamic correction...costs more ("add-on" licensing/setup) but you seem interested in SQ and is a major improvement over the built-in Audyssey capability even. This is the cheapest Denon that will do that. Do NOT overlook this aspect, it is a revelation to those used to older/cruder correction systems, and even more so to those who've never heard it at all. Will make the most of the speakers you already have, far more than a typical significant speaker upgrade will even do. It works by analysing your listening space with YOUR speakers and correcting for that, NOT just by correcting the source content like many other older methods did. IOW it ain't a gimmick...and it needs a lot of processing power that most cheaper AVRs don't have.

That said, the built-in Audyssey is pretty decent too...

BTW I am not a Denon man, or any other brand-loyalty type, my systems are mongrels...

#5 ·
The 3808 does look nice but is a pinch out of price range and also, there is no high end Denon dealer where I am. FS is, unfortunately, the only place where Denon is sold here. The 988 is pretty much the same as the 2808 (different remotes) so it was of interest. That said, I had already pretty much talked myself out of the 988 for a variety of reasons and these responses have slammed the door shut. The lower price was really the only attraction to it. So it comes down to the Yamaha 1800 and Pioneer Elite VSX-92THX... I think. Any thoughts on these 2 specifically. Thanks for your help.

#7 ·
Thanks 57 (great set-up you have by the way). A quick question though, both of these receivers have the option to just pass through video if need be right? (with HDMI, there is no up-conversion happening in any event). I did read that the Onyko's use REON scalers which seem to be considered the best but again, there isn't a Onyko dealer to be had in the Belleville area so I hadn't even looked at them. Also, I don't have a 1080p capable TV as of yet (just 1080i....but want to be ready when I do).

#8 ·
Wrong way of thinking

Leforge, If you don't have 1080p, then don't focus on it. In 6 months there will be HDMI 2.0, and in a year form now HDMI plus, etc etc. (Just making a point, inventing names and numbers). Build your system with quality over features.
How many speakers will you connect? Because good speakers are more expensive, but they COMPLETELY change the sound.
In my opinion, your speakers will outlast your amp, tv, etc. So make sure you get something good, (http://www.axiomaudio.com/ or http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/bookshelf.aspx). Order over the internet, you will not be disapointed, and they WILL last over 10 years and you WILL continue to be happy with them when you change the amp in the future.
For the amp, my 2 cents, if you are on a limited budget, go with Yamaha (I had a few, never had a problem).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.