Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Denon Avr-888 with Faroudja DCDi

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
The denon avr-888 uses the Faroudja DCDi FLi2310 chip. Denon says the chip helps remove jagged edges from interlaced video and upscales to 1080p. Does this work for digital inputs or only analog inputs? Since the receiver only has 2 hdmi inputs, I'm wondering if I will gain or lose any picture quality by using the composite inputs from my cable box. Any help on what this chip actually does and how successful denon implements this technology would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Well I hope you meant component inputs and not composite. Composite would provide the poorest quality. As far as feeding component to the Denon and having it perform the scaling it would depend on the quality of the scaler in your display if this will be of benifit or not. If you have say a 1080p LCD and you are feeding it an SD TV signal (which is native 480I (might be wrong here) SOMETHING has to scale it to 1080p. It could be the cable box (which generally have crap scalers in them). 2 The display (scalers in them vary widley form decent to crap) 3. The denon.

I have a 3808 which has I belive an even "better" chip than the 888 and after much testing I found it best to simply turn off the upscaling and allow with the source ( I let my Toshiba A3 scale and output a 720 P signal for both SD and HD DVD) or my Epson 720p projector to do the scaling (I alow my PS3 to output 1080P and let the projector scale it and alos do the scaling for the output of both SD and HD from my cable box).

I found the Denon resulted in a slightly dimmer and softer picture particualarly on SD channels. SD already looks like crap most of the time so I didn't see any benifit. I'm not a big beliver in processing signals any more than they have to be (as far as removing jagged edges etc)

Best thing of course is to test it out and see what you like best but I woukld guess if you had to pick a source to use componet on it would be the cable box. PS3 and other HD players require HDMI for the High Def audio so you definitley want to reserve the HDMI inputs for those typoe of devices. You can plug the box into the Denon and bypass the chip (pass through) if you want to use the video switching of the Denon or you can plug the component video direct to your TV (but then would have to switch TV inputs.

I do not think you would see any quaility difference from your cable box HDMI vs Component. You may however see some calibration differences with your display based on the inputs. In other words you may have to change the brightness color contracts on each input to get them just right) as the settings for the HDMI and componet inputs likley won't be identical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.