Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDMI Receiver - And Audio Via HDMI Discussion

6K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Sickboy44 
#1 ·
I've been reading the threads regarding HDMI in receivers and what receivers are being recommended on certain budgets.

I recently ordered...and today received (pardon the pun) a Sony STR-DG 800. After noting on the forum that many HDMI receivers are merely pass-through and do not decode the audio, I specifically asked the guy at the retailer about it. He assured me that the unit would process the audio through the HDMI connection and I would not need to connect any other way.

Well, first thing I did was pull out the manual when I got it home and it states under a note that when hooking up STB and/or DVD player through HDMI, you need to connect audio via one of the other connections!

At this point, are there any receivers out there that do process audio through the HDMI connection as well as provide for HDMI switching?? My search of the forum didn't yield much on this one. (Maybe it's because I'm new at it!)

Am I being too picky here considering the reasonable price of the unit? My old receiver doesn't have any digital audio capability at all, however my TV has 3 HDMI inputs so I can still take advantage of the picture.

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks & cheers,

RH

PS - I'm also getting the impression that non-ES Sony receivers aren't that popular with most folks on the forum....so maybe this is a good thing! :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
Any advice here would be appreciated. I'm trying to decide whether or not to return this unit and wait for some progress in the HDMI field or considering the price...hang on to it. Also, since I ordered it before I started getting educated in HT, would this be a receiver that is recommended?

Thanks & Cheers,

RH

#3 ·
I have never heard of a receiver with HDMI inputs not able to process sound before.

the website statees for the 800
Digital In/Out: HDMI: 2/1 (Switcher)

for the 900
Digital In/Out: HDMI: 2/1 (Repeater)

to me it seems like the 800 only passes video which is IMO ridiculous to put HDMI on if it can't accept audio and video. Normally for video it is just a pass through.

You have not indicated what you were looking for in a AVR so I can't comment to much.

IMO I don't like most products from Sony and from what I know there ES brand is the way to go if you do want to buy Sony.

Hope that helps a bit.

Joe

#4 ·
Thanks Joe;

Yeah, I thought it was pretty ridiculous too. If you're going to have it there, then have it work like it was designed to. I'll ask more questions about the 900.

As far as AVR's go, I have an older Sony right now that sounds fine to me and performs how I like it to. My speakers are pretty good and I'm happy with them. The HDMI for the price seemed like a fair deal, but I'm re-thinking it now. As I've also decided that the Oppo 981 is the way I'm going with DVD player and it has analogue 5.1 out that will go right into my old AVR, I'm thinking of returning the new Sony and taking my time to research a replacement AVR.

Thanks & cheers,

RH

#6 ·
There's not many "budget" receivers that will process audio by HDMI or even pass audio.
You're gonna need to look at the newest model receivers in a little higher price range. The new ES lines, the 3200es and 5200es will process audio by hdmi. The new yamaha v1700/2700, denon 2807/4306, Pioneer elite v82/84's all will process audio thru HDMI, but cost more then the sony you bought. Alot of the lower line models like the popular pioneer 1016 wont process audio by HDMI, but perhaps later this year we'll begin to see alot more that will.

#8 ·
Alot of the lower line models like the popular pioneer 1016 wont process audio by HDMI, but perhaps later this year we'll begin to see alot more that will.
Are you sure? I am pretty sure the 1016 does except audio through the HDMI interface. I seem to recall people using the HD DVD player with this receiver and hooking up to the 1016 and getting Dolby Tru HD.

#9 ·
On the Sonystyle web site:
«To get audio from speakers connected to the receiver, an optical cable is still required from the source to the receiver. »
Very very bad design for an HDMI receiver (why go through the receiver if you cannot enjoy lossless audio) . Bring it back quickly (salesman was wrong). May I suggest an Denon AVR-887 instead.

#10 ·
Thanks folks;

Yes, the salesman was wrong indeed and when I contacted him earlier today, he was very surprised and made comment similar to what has been said here. As Q pointed out, there is a difference in terminology between HDMI Switching and HDMI Repeating. I pointed this out to the retailer and he an the assistant manager will be looking into it further and setting up a 900 in the store to see if it actually will process the audio side. He said if it does, then "Perhaps we can work something out on the 900". He seemed sincerely sorry he passed on duff information.

#14 ·
Thanks 57.

Man, there's always something to make sure of. Certainly isn't as easy as it was 20 years ago!!

Anyhow, I read the manual for the receiver and it didn't indicate that it wouldn't process DTS, 5.1, etc through HDMI. Also, the spec sheet for the Oppo 981 states....

"High-resolution multi-channel digital audio output through HDMI supporting CD, DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby Digital and DTS sound tracks.
Individual analog 5.1-channel surround and down-mixed stereo outputs
24-bit, 192kHz high resolution audio D/A converters
Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs with DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic II and Linear PCM support
3D Surround (Virtual Surround): Concert, Live, Dance, Techno, Classic, Soft
Built-in equalizer, channel trim and channel delay functions"

From how I understand it, then this combination of AVR and DVD player should work just fine together when it comes to sound. It should provide me with tru DTS, Dolby Digital, etc....do I have this correct?

Thanks & cheers,

RH

#15 ·
I learned through the FAQs that there may be HDMI issues while using a SA STB with a HDMI receiver, but couldn't find anything more specific.

I was thinking of purchasing the Pioneer 5070 and Yamaha 6090 and connecting a HDMI cable from the SA8300HD to the receiver and then another HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

Would this work?

#17 ·
Hi 57;

Considering my last post, I think the Oppo 981 and the Marantz 4001 receiver would be compatible and play the DTS, 5.1 & Dolby Digital as long as the DVD was encoded for it. What do you think?? (The retailer assured me that it would...however!!!:cool: )

Thanks in advance,

RH

#18 ·
I was going to buy the pioneer vsx-1016 but then i found it that thru hdmi, it doesn't process audio! I think that is totally pathetic because one of the main advantages of having HDMI in the first place is the ultimate "one cable connection" between home theatre components. what's the friggin use of having hdmi if u have to connect seperate audio cables!

anyhow, i went with the marantz sr5001. it was $675 and processes video AND audio thru hdmi. I'm quite happy with the receiver.

#19 ·
Thanks Pete;

I agree with you 100%. I think HDMI without audio is just foolish.

The retailer assured me that it does do everything through HDMI, except...as 57 indicated...the OSD. I'm going with the SR 4001 as it has all the bells and whistles I need as well as adequate power for my application.

Cheers,

RH

#20 ·
I've got the Sony DGR900....

Hey there, I purchased the Sony DGR900 (that was referred to earlier) with the HDMI repeater, thinking that it would switch audio as well via HDMI. In fact, a Sony salesguy agreed that it must, as the literature mentioned replacing multiple cables (ie component + optical/coax).

Well, the Rogers Cablebox PVR 8300HD gives me the HDCP error, instructing me to connect via component instead (I also heard the upcoming firmware might fix this but don't know for sure).

The PS3 sends the video just fine, but does NOT send any audio via HDMI. When I try using the PS3 HDMI Audio 'automatic' set-up, I get an error. When I select 'manual', and any combination of codecs to select, it seems to work but no audio is passed.

I now have resorted to connecting the PS3 directly to my only HDMI port on my Sony TV, and using the amp to switch component sources (Rogers PVR, Xbox 360)...

The Sony guys at the store have no idea about any of this... I called Sony support who immediately tried to shuffle me off to PS3 support... when I insisted on support for the receiver, they transferred me to a completely dead line. PS3 support had no idea either....

Like you, I don't know whether to keep this amp (which I really like apart from the HDMI woes), or return it to best buy. It's the amp just below the ES series....

#21 ·
I talked to the Sony Store guys today about my issue, and they appeared surprised. However, they set up the 800 and 900 to experiment and came up with the same as we are discussing here. I'm returning my 800 tomorrow!

Morale of the story...do your homework!!! Like this forum lets you do!!

Cheers,

RH

#22 ·
I went throught this recently and there are few current models that will process the audio over HDMI. Here is some of my findings to help others. None of the current Harmon Karman do it (except maybe very high end), none of the sony's I checked, onyoko some coming but none right now. The Yamaha's I checked didn't. I went with the Denon 2807 which does it and well. Other Denon also have this feature but don't remember the models right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.