Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Yamaha HTR-6090 video signal drop?

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  wingnuts 
#1 ·
Hi all... looking for some help...

I purchased this receiver and it's working wonderfully except for this problem when connecting my XBOX. I connected it using S-Video and Optical for audio but the video kept dropping out. The screen would just go black for a couple of seconds and then come back. The sound will remain on. I have the receiver connected to the TV via HDMI and the receiver's set-up menu would disappear too so I don't suspect it's a problem with the XBOX.

I have tried different S-Video inputs on the receiver with the same result. I have also swapped the HDMI cable and it's still the same.

I connected the XBOX via composite and it's fine... no drop-outs. I have since reconnected the XBOX with S-Video and made an S-Video connection to the TV and it's fine that way too.

I also have my PC connected via S-Video --> HDMI and have not experienced any drop-outs. I've played with settings on all components including shutting off the video conversion on the receiver to no avail.

Should I take this receiver back to the store? Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Check the USA website for this receiver. There is download available. Please let me know if that fixes the problem. I am very interested in purchasing this receiver. Thanks.

#3 ·
I just burned the update but it won't play in my DVD player (says "noplay"). *shrug*

I'll have to find a CD player later...

Thanks for the heads up opsdl.

On a side note; I got my XBOX component hook-up back from my brother and everything works fine. weird.

#5 · (Edited)
Firmware update?

I noticed on the Yamaha Canadian site, they only have the pdf Owner's Manual for a HTR-6090 download. I tried getting the firmware update on the American site, but one can only receive it there if they're from the US. Is there any other way for one to get this firmware update, as I am still having video & sound drop out issues.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

#7 ·
Quote - Dlpnut from another thread -

I posted this question in the Cogeco section and I thought I might get a better response here.

I have an RXV1700. When watching CBS HD out of Detroit the sound will drop when it switches to non HD commercials and come back when the game/show reappears. This is the only station it happens with. I've used both coax and optical and have analogue out to the receiver from the TV. The receiver audio decode is set to Auto. The tv itself will not drop audio (fed from HDMI). This is from a Motorola 6412 phase III.

Anyone else have this problem?
I experienced this for the first time yesterday with my receiver (HTR-6090) on CBS as well. I'm using an optical connection from the STB to the receiver and analog to the TV. Audio only drops through the receiver.

Hazmat, did you have any luck updating your firmware?

#8 ·
This last issue may be related to switching between DD5.1 and DD2.0. The AVR should handle this properly, but perhaps is somehow getting confused? Check your settings for how you've set the AVR to handle programming - ie - set for "auto best possible"?

I no longer get CBS Detroit, but other channels may not bother to switch from DD5.1 to DD2.0 for commercials, therefore it's not noticeable there...

Just a guess.

#9 ·
I didn't notice if it was only the SD commercials or not but it makes sense. If I switched channels and then back to the same commercial the audio would be back. Maybe because the AVR had a fresh look so to speak.

I'm going to take it off auto and see what happens...

#10 ·
So just register yourself as living someplace in U.S. It doesn't matter where as long as it's a valid address, phone & email.

I just did and downloaded the file. It's a 1 minute registration/download exercise.

#13 ·
Okay, I tuned in the football game last night and EVERY time the broadcast went to commercial, whether HD, SD, 5.1 or 2.0, the audio cut out and it wouldn't return when the game came back on. I had to either change the channel and then back or switch the audio input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.