Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDMI hype?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  datacat 
#1 ·
Can someone please explain to me what all the hype is about with HDMI, upscaling, converting, etc...

I just don't see how this is such a big deal or why I would even pay so much more for an AVR with this feature?

I have a Samsung LNT4061F connected to a SC DSR503 via DVI>HDMI (works perfectly with every mode incl. 480i) standard DVD player (non-HD-BR) connected via component. I recently bought the HK AVR147 but then noticed the 247 model does audio/video conversion and is selling for just a little more. I understand HDMI upscale just converts analogue signal? Why would I even need this feature in my setup?

HDMI is more confusing than anything if you ask me...

#2 ·
HDMI and upscaling are two different things.

HDMI is how the signal gets transported.
Upscaling is the use of algorithms to enhance a video signal.

Check out 57's FAQ's as he explains much of this in them.

HDTV FAQ: What is HDMI?
for more information also.

#4 ·
HDMI simplifies A/V connections. i.e. one cable for HD video+audio instead of 2 or 4. Upscaling also simplifies switching and connections. i.e. One HDMI connection to the HDTV instead of multiple cables and more complicated switching between inputs. If you want to control everything with the A/V receiver, an upscaling/converting receiver is the best way. There are other solutions but they can easily get complicated and are very confusing for family members. A Harmony remote can also solve switching issues but is not bullet proof.

DVD upscaling is another issue. It can improve the picture quality of standard DVDs significantly. A good quality HDTV or A/V receiver can do the same job but often not as well.

#5 ·
HDMI does more than just simplify connections. HDMI 1.3a is the easiest way to be able to enjoy next gen audio codecs on Blu-ray. Purchasing an HDMI 1.3 capable AVR would be my suggested future-proofing method to the original post for the possible upgrade to Blu-ray.

The 147 does not process HDMI signals so cannot pull the audio from an HDMI source. The big advantage to the 247, even though it's not HDMI 1.3, is that it will process HDMI audio as well as having multichannel analog inputs. That would leave datacat able to purchase a Blu-ray player with onboard next gen audio decoding and be able to enjoy TrueHD and dts-HD MA (providing he buys a capable player). That doesn't seem possible with the 147.

#6 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I think I'll just sit back and enjoy my new home theatre. I don't have a blu-ray player so I'm not that concerned with HDMI 1.3. When the time comes, I will purchase a new AVR but the HK147 is going to do me just fine for right now. I don't mind running seperate audio connections (optical for DSR/TV) coaxial for DVD... since I've already bought the cables anyway. This was a huge leap for me, going from nothing to a decent home theatre. It's crazy how technical this stuff gets.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.