Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

TX-SR606 Review

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnnyCanuck 
#1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know that i picked up my TX-SR606 yesterday and set it up in very little time. All be it a simple setup for now and it was just a swap out of my old Pioneer VSX-816. I will tweak it later for better performance, but for what i did setup, it looks and sounds amazing. This is my setup.

Bell 9200 - HDMI
Sony BDP-S300 - HDMI
Viewsat 9000HD - HDMI
XBOX 360 - Component + Optical
VocoPro Karaoke - Component + Stereo LR

1 HDMI cable running to my Viera plasma. Everything switches perfectly. Input assignement is so simple, you can basically assign any input to any label, allowing you to use a component connection with an analog audio input, as opposed to my Pioneer which only let me assign my component inputs to 3 labels and only the optical or coaxial inputs.

Basic sound detection and control is very simple and very loud as well without pushing it too much, as opposed to my Pioneer which was lacking in that department even though the specs showed supposedly more RMS power.

That's all i can really post for now as i have not had a chance to even try the automatic speaker setup yet. Gonna try that tonight and report back with more news.

Either way, anyone looking to pickup a GREAT receiver with 4 HDMI in, this is the machine.

See less See more
#4 ·
You said it. I don't have an Elite, and i don't need one. But i did stop the upscalling as it wasn't really doing anything except making my picture more grainy.

#6 ·
Well, we watched the Directors Cut of Troy on BD last night. Movies is about 3h16m long. I had it running pretty loud but it was quite cool despite all that I heard from others. Maybe it doesn't have the same issues as the 05 series. Then again, I have mine in my basement which is usually a cool 19-20 degrees C and the unit sits on an open shelf, nothing around it to disrupt their flow. I did the automatic speaker setup yesterday and what's weird is that it found my center channel to be 60hz and my other speakers to be 120hz. I am no audio expert but i thought they should all be the same no?

#7 ·
Not sure about the speakers when I think about it. Even though they are timbre matched, they would not be identical speakers which may be why they have a different setting. Also, it's the crossover point from the sub to the main speakers which would not include your centre or your surrounds. That's just my best guess but someone else may have a better thought.

Glad to hear it doesn't seem to run so hot. I had a 705 for a while. No problems because of heat, but it did seem way too hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.