Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

A/V Receivers and HDMI Passthrough Question

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  canuck 
#1 ·
Hi,

After visiting several different sources (i.e., FutureShop, Best Buy, Sony Store, etc.) and getting different answers to the same question, and determining the grand total time these guys get for training is about 15 minutes. I thought I would try here.

Here is my situation:

I have a HDTV with HDMI, Component, and RCA inputs. Right now I have my satellite dish (StarChoice DVR530 via HDMI), Xbox (via component) and VCR (via RCA) video directly hooked up to the TV and all audio goes to my current receiver. The problem comes in for casual users of our system (i.e., babysitters, grandparents, etc.) because they have to not only change the source on my current receiver but also have to change the source on the TV. This has caused confusion.

So what I would like is to hook everything up to a single receiver and have a *SINGLE* HDMI cable go to my TV so don't have to bother changing sources on the TV. Remember some sources are standard and some are high def and all the source type is different.

So some sales guys have told me I need a receiver that does "up convert" or "up scale" and other's have told me that "pass through" will accomplish what I want.

Can someone help clear this up?

I am also looking for recommendations for a basic receiver that can accomplish this, support 7.1, be decent for music and keep the price between $500 to $750. I just want a farily good system, don't need the ultimate home theatre receiver.

Thanks.

Alan

See less See more
#2 ·
Passthrough is not adequate, since that requires the same connection from the AVR to the TV as from the device to the AVR. Upconversion is not really the right term, although that's what it's called by many AVRs. The appropriate term is "transcode" so you need to be able to have the AVR transcode (convert) an incoming signal like composite or component to HDMI, however.

1. It may be a simpler, and less expensive, solution for you to get a Harmony remote - then your family will only need to press one button to "watch TV" or "play X-Box", or "watch VCR" for example.

2. Also, by retaining the separate inputs on the TV, each input can be properly calibrated for each device, which is not possible if you use only one connection to the TV.

Please read the following post, useful for newbies to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

If you are intent on a new AVR, read:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

However, please remember that you should probably spend at least as much on your 5.1 speakers as on your AVR, preferably about twice as much on the speakers for a "balance" of technology.

#5 ·
Try 2Ch RCA audio inputs to the TV in parallel

As an extension to what 57 said, another even less expensive option that you can try in the meantime it to also run all the RCA audio in parallel (as 2ch). My wife mandated that she must be able to just turn on the the TV and watch it fully w/o the rcvr (she understands she must use the STB ;-)). She watches most of her stuff in 2ch audio until I come down and join in, and "improve" the experience (at least for me ;-)). Also works great for the babysitter, most of whom are used to using a STB remote at home.

So, I run the RCA stereo outputs (2ch) from my STB and DVD player to my TV as well on the same input as the video. The STB and DVD then also have digital audio connections to the rcvr (mostly for me). Thus, when the TV is on, you can simply play a source with 2ch audio, or turn on the rcvr to get 5.1 for that input (and then just turn down/mute tv audio). This still requires switching inputs on the TV, but they are usually intuitively labelled, and I think you could accomplish the same thing in your setup. Certainly the kids, babysitters and grandparents may not care about 5.1 audio, and if they do then they can take the extra step on the rcvr inputs, but not be hampered in watching and listening to a show/DVD.

I tried the harmony route, but the 659 chewed batteries and didn't work 100% as needed, the 880 is rechargeable in its cradle I think, so may work better.

Honestly, if you are just trying to solve the casual user problem, then I'd keep it simple and avoid spending the $600+, which will likely lead you into a new round of other upgrades (cables, speakers, etc). A new setup may not actually turn out as simple and trouble-free as you would like. HDMI does hold the promise of what you want, and with v1.3 becoming affordable this year, a temporary 2ch solution will give you time to do any upgrades on your terms.

#6 ·
Pass Through (2 Versions)

The manual for my old AVR described its pass through of video.

By this term, they meant that the video was not altered in its basic properties. E.g., 720 X 480 was untouched.

However, all analogue inputs were converted to digital and the output could be HDMI, if desired. Hence, VCRs, DVD players, etc. could be connected via SVHS or Component Video and were simply output on the HDMI is whatever video format was input into the AVR.

Previous posters do not seem to realize this distinction. Pass through does not mean no analogue conversion to digital.

Note that if you have a fixed-pixel TV, it will convert all video into whatever its pixel aspect ratio is. Hence, an upconverting AVR is not necessary. However, if one believes that the AVR does a better job of upconversion than does whatever is in the TV, then such persons may prefer an upconverting AVR.

#7 ·
As DocRock said, the Sony STG-DG901 does what you described and it's currently on sale for cheap. I have an 801 (which is 6.1 and doesn't do video conversion) and I love it.

Also, a Harmony universal remote will allow you to keep your current setup and make it easy for anyone to use by choosing all the proper settings for each of your inputs with a single push of a button.

#8 ·
Previous posters do not seem to realize this distinction.
Actually, I thought I discussed the variations in the first paragraph of post 2.

You need to realize that some AVRs do simply passthrough the signal, therefore the analogue inbound cable connections need to be duplicated outbound by the same cables to the TV. That would qualify for (my) basic definition of passthrough, whereas what you describe is outlined below.

...could be connected via SVHS or Component Video and were simply output on the HDMI is whatever video format was input into the AVR.
What you described is transcoding with the signal format (480i) staying in tact - so from a signal standpoint this is passthrough, but from a cable standpoint, it is not. Transcoding is often called upconversion/upconverting by some AVRs, also mentioned in post 2.

As for upconverting AVRs, many of these have quite a list of limitations on what incoming signals they actually upconvert (found in the fine print of the operating manual, near the section describing the upconversion) For example, one of the better AVRs on a recent setup would not upconvert incoming 720P or 1080i signals to 1080P when the incoming signals were on component video, etc.

#9 ·
Hi awhitehouse, I had the same requirements as you and I ended up buying the Onkyo 875 receiver. It does hdmi 1.3, has enough hdmi and component inputs to support all my devices, and is future proof enough that I won't have to buy another receiver for a long time. However it would be out of your price range based on what you mentioned in your post so instead the Onkyo 605 would probably be in the right price range for you for around $750 bucks. It's not as powerful and doesn't have as many inputs but it's great for your needs based on your post. There are other brands other than Onkyo that also provide hdmi 1.3 but my experience is only with the Onkyo's so I can't really give you a recommendation on those but I'm sure some searching of these forums will come up with something for you. In any case make sure you match your receiver to a good set of speakers and a sub in at least a 5.1 setup.

I have the following hooked through my receiver:
-PS3 (hdmi)
-Toshiba HD A35 hd dvd player (hdmi)
-Xbox 360 (Component)
-Shaw HD digital pvr set top box (component)

Then I have one HDMI output going to my TV.

My suggestion is that even if you don't need hdmi 1.3 it is still better to buy a receiver that supports it so you are future proofed. Also the Onkyo hdmi 1.3 receivers support the new lossless codecs such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio even in their lower end receivers such as the 605. This will allow you to get the most out of Blu-ray or HD DVD if you get a player that can bitstream these audio formats to your receiver. I find it's a good bang for your buck.

I also own a Harmony 880 remote for the exact same reason you mentioned with grandparents and babysitters. All they do is pickup the remote and press "Watch Shaw", or "Watch DVD" and it automatically switches everything to the proper inputs. It's a great investment. My wife no longer calls me at work to ask me how to work our home entertainment system. :)

Hope this helps!

-Cheers, RP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.