Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Power plugs on the back of a receiver.

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  scratchieepants 
#1 ·
Does anyone use these? Are there any benefits to doing so? I have a Yamaha 6160 with 2 places to plug in other components for power. Currently, the only thing I could see plugging in would be the DVD/CD player but I am not sure if there are any advantages. I have all my media made into MP3s sitting on a server in the basement which is then streamed via my XBOX and output via optical to the receiver. So unless I listen to an actual CD or watch a DVD, there is no need to have the DVD player on. So what is the advantage of plugging it into the back? The only component I could see which would be useful is the subwoofer, except it says explicitly in the sub manual NOT to plug it into the receiver's power receptacle.

Thanks,
FF.

#2 ·
You can plug in any device that meets the specifications for those outlets. You'll find reading the specs in the operating manual that there are limits for those plugs and a sub probably draws way too much power. A CD/DVD player would be fine since it draws little power. I have mine (DVD player) plugged into the switched outlet since it then switches off with the AVR in case I forget to turn it off.

#4 ·
I have used the switched outlet for a wall-wart to trigger external amps...can be used to trigger other devices on too. Have also used it for a small LED lamp above the DVDP drawer as it's usually darkish when I'm flipping discs. I have an IR receiver plugged into the unswitched outlet, strictly for convenience.

Generally though, I don't like those outlets for "important" AV stuff, just little gadgets.

#8 ·
What about my TV? I have a 15-year old 32-inch TV which will eventually be replaced by a projector. Can I plug it into the receiver or will it not draw enough power?
According to your owner's manual, the two outlets provide a "Total 100 W maximum" amount of power. If your TV set draws less power than that, there shouldn't be any problem with plugging it into the receiver.

Personally speaking, the TV is the only thing I wouldn't plug into my receiver...

#9 ·
I have one of those 3-way extension cords plugged into mine.

Into it (on various stereo systems I have had) I have had connected (not all at once);
  • Bias lighting (string of colored LED holiday lights)
  • Graphic Equalizer.
  • Various tape decks and turntables.
  • AM/FM Tuner (had wall wart in continuous outlet for memory)
  • DVD/CD player
  • Network media player.
  • Tube amplifier (on that one receiver that hand no amplifier, so I cobbled on a tube amp form a console stereo, powered it from the switched outlet).

#10 ·
What about my TV? I have a 15-year old 32-inch TV which will eventually be replaced by a projector. Can I plug it into the receiver or will it not draw enough power?
The bolding would indicate that you haven't understood what we're saying (reread post 2). We're saying you shouldn't plug anything in there that exceeds the allowable power output of the AVR outlets. I would think that a 32" TV draws too much power, so don't plug it in there. BTW, this has nothing to do with the power rating of the AVR (W/ch), but the allowable draw on those electrical outlets.

#11 ·
My Yamaha has these plugged in . . .
- Turntable (non-switched)
- Tape deck (switched) Yeah, I still got one of those. I got a huge collection from when I was young and some of my older relatives and friends still use it. Many seek me out because I'm the only one around who has one!!! :D
- CD player with a mass-storage system (a big magazine).

Even though the last two are switched, I don't use them that often and usually leave them turned off by their own power switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.