Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Update 2.4

46K views 132 replies 45 participants last post by  BassLake 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Software update 2.4 is in the process of rolling out, it started overnight Saturday in Toronto as well as Hamilton.

Only the 2XXX boxes will receive the update.

This new version will among other things ensure that display only the channels to which the customer subscribes to the guide zapping without having to create a list of favorites.
It will also view the last five channels with the LAST button on the remote control (option will be disabled.)
You can also see the capacity of the hard drive with the button at the end of RECORDINGS tabs right after the Series tab.
When watching recorded series, choosing to watch the next episode option, the receiver now offer the option to delete the episode you just watched.
Some options guide will be improved. names of channels in the bar at the bottom of the screen will be replaced by the logo of the channel as the wireless receivers VIP2502.
When programming a show in PVR the addition of one minute at the beginning and three minutes at the end of a recording will be automatically added by default. (Softpadding)
Subtitles are customizable such as size, color, opacity and style.
An optional parental control time will also added.

Also coming is 1080p, for the first time, if the broadcast was done in 1080p, it will be available in this format. Until now you could only choose 720p or 1080i.

Edit by Dr.Dave: see this post to select Subscribed Channels.

See less See more
#6 ·
From what I'm hearing, it's true 1080p, not an upscaling.
I'll believe it when I see it, but word is it's really 1080p.

As another note, regarding streams;

They're looking into giving us more streams, the word is that it may be a premium pay for feature once line bonding is more overall available. With bonding, we should be able to go all the way up to 8 streams. Also FTTH should also see up to 8 streams.
The word on this is early next year.

#5 ·
Ok, I called in after reading this and this is what I was told. Only new customers are getting the update right now. Apparently they are updating the wifi in the Sagem modems first for current custs.

All boxes with get the update so my 1200 will get it too, but it won't get the logos or the 1080p. The chip is too slow.

We'll get in December, I can wait if they're updating the wireless in the modem too.:eek:

#9 ·
When programming a show in PVR the addition of one minute at the beginning and three minutes at the end of a recording will be automatically added by default. (Softpadding)
Just wanted to let everyone know that this works very well for us in Manitoba. We've had it since MTS started using Mediaroom.

The PVR will automatically record an extra 1 minute at the beginning and a few minutes at the end, only if a stream is available. If a stream isn't available, the program will start or end at the scheduled time. If 2 programs are scheduled back-to-back on the same channel, they will overlap and still use just 1 stream.

#17 ·
Second Slide, post 14. I'm guessing that there is no 1080P content available since Bell sends all HD channels as 720P, as I posted earlier (post 7). I would recommend using 720P to minimize the number of conversions, although feel free to experiment. SD channels will be upconverted by the STB to your output setting.

Upconversion FAQ http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87543

I assume you're using HDMI? Some STBs may limit the output of component video to 1080i, but not because of CV limitations. It could also be a firmware error since many STBs, BD players, etc now allow for 1080P output even if the incoming signal is lower. Try a reboot.

#18 ·
While they have always sent out a 720p I'm hoping this new option is a hint that some 1080p programming is going to be made available. If it will only be an option that allows the STB to upconvert 720p to 1080p then that would be disappointing.

As for a conversion, my TV is 1080p so a conversion is either going to take place in the STB or the TV. However, I'm still not sure which one would have the better upconversion silicon:

1) 720P Signal -> Bell Receiver -> TV upconverts to 1080p
2) 720P Signal -> Bell Receiver upconverts to 1080p -> TV

I am using HDMI and I've rebooted a couple of times today so hopefully some others can report what they are seeing with the new firmware. I did notice my HDPVR has yet to be upgraded to the new firmware so maybe that is "holding back" the new 1080p option with the wireless receiver?

#20 ·
I prefer 1080p output because it will mostly like result in less conversions most of the time.

I can think of it getting the follow double conversions

480i signal receiver converts to 720p output and tv converts to 1080p
480i signal receiver converts to 1080i outout and tv converts to 1080p
720p signal receiver converts to 1080i output and tv converts to 1080p

#21 ·
If you take the time to read the link provided in post 17 that is all explained, however, the TV is typically better at any conversion than the STB and for HD channels there is no double conversion if you set the STB to 720P since that's what's coming to the STB.

SD channels? Who cares? ;) YMMV.

#30 ·
I would not worry about not receiving the update yet, I have not received it either, they usually take awhile, from what I have noticed in the last few updates they have put out, they roll them out by areas, not all at once, I know some people on here will have them and then a month later I will get it, so there really isn't any set date for these updates to happen..

They will come, just have to wait.... Christmas is also coming.. hehehe

#31 ·
un-related question (sort of)

My TV is 1080p (panasonic 65st60) and my bell fibe receiver is currently set to 1080i, i plan to switch it to 720p and see if i notice a difference.
My Bell Fibe STB connects via hdmi to my Harmon Kardon AVR2600 receiver and then HDMI out to my tv.

I am wondering if my bell fibe STB is converting the 720p signal to 1080i and then my Harmon Kardon receiver is converting it too 1080p. I couldn't find any indication in the instruction booklet for the HK receiver.

to me it sounds like a lot unnecessary conversions that may deteriorate the quality.

is there something i should do to avoid this, or it doesn't matter

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.