Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

can you recommend a set of speakers for $1000 below?

7K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  punman 
#1 ·
I just bought Denon AVR-689 from Future Shop, planning to hook it up with my SONY BDP-350, Rogers PVR (8300HD). I don't need the high-end speakers (oh..can't afford), but would love to have some "OK" sound for music & movies. Should I go with 5.1 or 7.1?

I have my 12 gauge speaker wires, but I have read some posts about receiver must "match" speakers otherwise will cause some damages. Please advise.

Power Output; Watts Per Channel 80

While shopping for speakers, could I use my old crappy JVC satellite speakers (100W input, 8-ohm)?

Can somebody help? Thanks!

#2 ·
Should I go with 5.1 or 7.1?
Start with 5.1. Check out the Polk RM6750 5.1 package at F.S. It's not too expensive and it's got some good reviews. It may tide you over until upgrade time... :)

... I have read some posts about receiver must "match" speakers otherwise will cause some damages. Please advise.

Power Output; Watts Per Channel 80
You don't want your receiver's maximum output power to significantly exceed the speaker's maximum rated input power. Since many (most? all?) speakers accept 100W or more maximum input power, your receiver's 80W output shouldn't cause you any concerns.

While shopping for speakers, could I use my old crappy JVC satellite speakers (100W input, 8-ohm)?
Yes, you can use your JVCs as long as they have speaker-level connections and not, say, proprietary RCA connections.

#3 ·
Thanks eljay.

You don't want your receiver's maximum output power to significantly exceed the speaker's maximum rated input power. Since many (most? all?) speakers accept 100W or more maximum input power, your receiver's 80W output shouldn't cause you any concerns.
So any 100W speakers would be OK for my receiver, since my Max output is only 80W?

Will check out Polk Audio speakers. Thanks.

How would you comment on the Denon receiver? I didn't intend to buy it today (I was going there for Customer Appreciation Day to buy a Cordless Phone)...but see it is on sale for $369 (another 10% off = $332) - so I grabbed it without a 2nd thought - since it has 3 HDMI input. :)

#4 ·
So any 100W speakers would be OK for my receiver, since my Max output is only 80W?
Correct.

How would you comment on the Denon receiver?
It seems like a decent receiver, especially for the price.

Unless I misread the specs - and that's always a possibility! - the receiver doesn't appear to decode lossless audio or accept decoded lossless audio via HDMI. It will, however, accept decoded audio via its 7.1 analogue inputs. Unfortunately, the BDP-S350 does not have analogue outputs, so with your current combination it doesn't appear that you'll be able to enjoy Blu-ray's 5.1- or 7.1-channel lossless audio.

#5 ·
You may want to check out Soundstage speakers at Visions, if you haven't already. They are decently priced and sound rather nice. I have heard them compared side by side to Polks and I thought the Soundstage speakers were better sounding. I think they are worth listening to anyway.

#7 ·
Thank you everyone! Seems I have a few options:)

eljay - thanks again! I actually plan to buy the Oppo BD player whenever it releases, and they claimed to have 7.1 analogue output. For now, if I connect BDP350 to the receiver, should I do it via HDMI, or digital coaxial cable?

another question - I had problems with those "thick" 12 AWG speaker wires (I bought them few months ago). Wondering if I need to buy some banana plugs (is that a good idea) to connect to my Denon receiver, if yes, where can I get those?

#8 ·
For now, if I connect BDP350 to the receiver, should I do it via HDMI, or digital coaxial cable?
According to page 10 of the owner's manual, HDMI audio is "pass-through" only, so you'll need to use an optical or coaxial digital audio connection in order to output DD/DTS audio through your speakers.

... I had problems with those "thick" 12 AWG speaker wires ... Wondering if I need to buy some banana plugs (is that a good idea) to connect to my Denon receiver, if yes, where can I get those?
There's no harm in using banana plugs. I bought mine off eBay(.ca) a few years ago. I don't think the vendor's there anymore, but if you search that site for 10pc PREMIER 24K Gold Speaker Amp Cable Banana Plug 4mm you'll see approximately the style I purchased. They're inexpensive and they work just fine. (Pretty much any style/brand of banana plug that accepts 12ga. wire will work.)

#9 ·
Hey there,

I STRONGLY suggest you take a listen to the Paradigm CC 110 package. I was in the same situation as you, and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I've since had a number of friends with much more expensive set-ups comment that they are impressed with the sound, and stunned by the sound when price is considered.

Paradigm also has a cc70 and cc90 set, which provide for smaller rooms and more attainable price points.

Another point which I think is often over looked is the used market. Craigslist will routinely have Paradigm Monitor 5 and 7's at very attractive prices, and you can occasionally find someone who's upgrading and can pass on some rather high end gear for a very attractive price.

Hope this helps.

#10 ·
Just curious what you guys think of ENERGY RC-Micro 5.1 Home Entertainment Speaker System, compared to Polk (not on sale anymore)

Start with 5.1. Check out the Polk RM6750 5.1 package at F.S. It's not too expensive and it's got some good reviews. It may tide you over until upgrade time...
Where can I buy (look for) Paradigm in Toronto/Markham/Richmond Hill area? What is the price range?

I STRONGLY suggest you take a listen to the Paradigm CC 110 package.
Thanks!

#13 ·
Where can I buy (look for) Paradigm in Toronto/Markham/Richmond Hill area? What is the price range?
You can check Paradigm's website for a list of authorized dealers. I know Kennedy Hi-Fi sells Paradigm (Hwy7 and Kennedy area).
I too have the cinema 110 package and am happy with it. I paid less than
$1K for it during boxing day. If you want to gauge the approximate price, check out Gibby's Audio Vido website, they usually post prices there. they are based out of St. Catharines.
hope this helps.

#14 ·
Thanks everyone (especially eljay). I will check out Paradigm speakers.

Just curious about the lacking of decoded lossless audio via HDMI issue in my Denon AVR 689 (my box still not yet opened). Wondering if I should return that and get a AVR 789 or equalivent - that has TrueHD etc. Does it worth?

I am planning to use this receiver and speakers mainly for Blu-Ray and CDs in my living room.

the receiver doesn't appear to decode lossless audio or accept decoded lossless audio via HDMI. It will, however, accept decoded audio via its 7.1 analogue inputs. Unfortunately, the BDP-S350 does not have analogue outputs, so with your current combination it doesn't appear that you'll be able to enjoy Blu-ray's 5.1- or 7.1-channel lossless audio.

#15 ·
Thanks everyone (especially eljay).
Aw, shucks... :)

I will check out Paradigm speakers.
And do consider used speakers. You can often find excellent deals on CanuckAudioMart.com, [yourcity].*********, [yourcity].craigslist.ca and other such sites. (I just picked up a pair of Monitor 3 v4s and a pair of Mini Monitor v4s w/ stands for $500. Sweet.)

Wondering if I should return that and get a AVR 789 or equalivent - that has TrueHD etc. Does it worth?
"Worth it" is a bit subjective; however, if you're looking to get the most out of your Blu-ray movies, being able to enjoy the lossless audio is one aspect you're going to miss out on. If you can afford the premium for the 789 over the 689, go for it. That way, you won't be left wondering "what if"...

#16 ·
if you're looking to get the most out of your Blu-ray movies, being able to enjoy the lossless audio is one aspect you're going to miss out on. If you can afford the premium for the 789 over the 689, go for it. That way, you won't be left wondering "what if"..
Thanks...if I am putting a $700-800 budget for AV Receiver - should I still go for Denon? What do you suggest?

This is what I see now - $700 for receiver and around $800 for speakers. Suggestion spls

#18 ·
Thanks...if I am putting a $700-800 budget for AV Receiver - should I still go for Denon? What do you suggest?

This is what I see now - $700 for receiver and around $800 for speakers. Suggestion spls
Denons are a nice product. From what I have read they offer great value for the money. You may want to try and research Yamaha. With the new line coming out soon, last years models will go down in price.

My advise is to evaluate your needs along with the devices you want in your set up. For example, if you have a BD player that decodes the HD Audio codecs and output them thru PCM, do you really need a receiver that decodes them as well? I know some people prefer one over the other, although some people here will say there is no difference whatsoever. I myself do not notice a difference. I have a PS3 and have it decode the HD auio and then send it to my receiver over HDMI as PCM. I watched TDK with my set up and at a friends house where he has the HD Audio being decoded by the receiver, I didn't hear any difference whatsoever (mind you our speakers were different, same brand but different lines). Do you need more than 2 HDMI inputs? I only use one in my Yamaha (PS3). My HD STB is connected via CV and Toslink to the receiver. Right now, I don't have a device that would use the second HDMI input.

It would be very beneficial if you can find a boutique shop like Kennedy Hi-Fi and see what they tell you. Often times, you can spend a lot of time in one trying out what they have. different set ups will give you different results. ultimately, you have to be the judge. Paradigms are nice speakers, but if you don't like what you hear, there's no point in you spending money on them.

#20 ·
Some questions...

Eljay, I purchased banana plugs from monoprice, but they do not have a screw/hole for me to tighten the speaker wire (like in this tutorial). I meant if I intent to plug the wire, it can come out easily.

For the Denon Receiver + CT100 speakers, if I have to range up from -80db to -20db before I can hear any sound. Is that normal?

#21 ·
Can you provide a model # (no link - that's against the forum rules) so that we - other members, I mean, and not the "royal 'We'" ;) - can see what's up with those plugs? Some banana plugs have separate pieces that screw together to "pinch" the wire into place, rather than screws to tighten the wire into place.

I'm not sure what the low end on my Marantz is, but -30 will provide decent CD / radio audio, while -24 to -18 is roughly the range for movies. Perhaps there's something in your AVR's settings that needs to be adjusted or disabled...

#22 ·
Thanks again eljay.

Re: banana plugs - It is "1 PAIR OF High-Quality Copper Speaker Banana Plugs - Closed Screw Type" JX-74043 PID: 2801. It is still "loosely connected".

Re: Denon AVR audio level - could it be possible because my Front speakers are 13ft apart?

A few questions
1). IF the 12gauge speaker wire is loosed inside banana plug, will i notice? Does it imply no sound on a specific speaker?

2). Question for Paradigm CT 110 users: My denon receiver has only one output to sub-woofer, but the Paradigm sub-woofer has two inputs (L & R). Which one should I use?

*Even at the store, the salesperson sold me one sub-woofer cable only, not two.

#23 ·
Re: banana plugs - It is "1 PAIR OF High-Quality Copper Speaker Banana Plugs - Closed Screw Type" JX-74043 PID: 2801. It is still "loosely connected".
The pics on the Monoprice site appear to indicate that you need to unscrew the front of the plug, splay the speaker wire and shove it in toward the front of the barrel, then re-insert the front of the plug and allow it to compress the wire against the side of the barrel. If this is what you've done, and it's still loose, I'd suggest feeding more wire into the barrel until such time as screwing in the front of the plug results in a snug fit.

Re: Denon AVR audio level - could it be possible because my Front speakers are 13ft apart?
I wouldn't think so, no. I would think it's more likely that there's some equalization or limiter setting in the receiver that needs to be adjusted or disabled. I believe that you, like me, have the BDP-S350: I've noticed that I need to turn up my receiver a bit louder than I do vs. my OPPO upconverting player. The S350 may simply output a lower level than other players you're used to.

1). IF the 12gauge speaker wire is loosed inside banana plug, will i notice? Does it imply no sound on a specific speaker?
If it's loose, but still making contact with the interior of the plug, you may not notice anything. Well, not until the wire falls out, anyway... :p

2). Question for Paradigm CT 110 users: My denon receiver has only one output to sub-woofer, but the Paradigm sub-woofer has two inputs (L & R). Which one should I use?

*Even at the store, the salesperson sold me one sub-woofer cable only, not two.
Check the owner's manual for the subwoofer. It should tell you whether you should connect to one of the two inputs, or use a "Y" splitter and connect to both.

#24 ·
Thanks a lot eljay! Just curious, do you use BDP-S350 to play audio CD too? I stuck with DVR-698 and connected S350 with a digital coxial cable. Thinking if I should move my Cambridge Audio CD player and see how the speakers sound.

Not exactly sure if I understood what you meant about banana plug. Will take a picture tomorrow and post it here. Does the speaker wire need to go thru the front barrel of the banana plug? I did open the top part, but the wire was not thru.

Still have a lot to read/learn from owner's manual. Yes, you are right - the manual asked me to contact to L input.

#25 ·
mpact said:
Thanks a lot eljay!
You're welcome! :)

Just curious, do you use BDP-S350 to play audio CD too?
I haven't tried to play CDs on it yet, but I plan to give it a try at some point. If you try it out, please do post your thoughts on it.

Not exactly sure if I understood what you meant about banana plug. Will take a picture tomorrow and post it here. Does the speaker wire need to go thru the front barrel of the banana plug? I did open the top part, but the wire was not thru.
It's hard to tell from that one photo on the Monoprice site, but I'd say the wire does not have to go through the front of the barrel, just up to the front of it; and the plug, once you screw it into the barrel, should pinch the wire against the interior circumference of the barrel.

Still have a lot to read/learn from owner's manual. Yes, you are right - the manual asked me to contact to L input.
The manual's always a good place to start... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.