Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Golf Tournaments on TV and in HD

21K views 184 replies 57 participants last post by  tomm4004 
#1 ·
How do I find out what golf tourneys will be broadcast in HD? Wil it only be the majors? Just got a bell 9200 so not sure where to look. I suppose TSN schedule is the only place to look?

#3 ·
Don't expect alot of HD. Especially in 2007 and beyond, as NBC, CBS and the Golf Channel take over coverage of the tour.
The Canadian Open on TSN/CTV was/is HD.

Changing channels

What's in it for CBS, NBC and the Golf Channel in the new broadcast agreement with the PGA Tour:

CBS -- The network will expand its current coverage from 16 to 19 events. It will include the majority of West Coast events, including the Buick Invitational and the Nissan Open. CBS will maintain its strong presence in the spring and summer and will conclude its season with the Bridgestone Invitational, the PGA Championship and the first event of the four-event Championship Series.

NBC -- The network will add five new Tour events, doubling the amount it normally telecasts. Highlighting its new schedule will be the final three events of the Championship Series, the World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship (which leads up to its five-event March run). It will also show the World Golf Championships-CA Championship to be played at Doral Golf Resort and Spa. NBC will also continue its coverage of the Ryder and Presidents Cup.

The Golf Channel -- It will provide early-round coverage of all Tour official money events. It will also provide full coverage of the first three events of the season: Mercedes Championship, Sony Open and the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic, as well as the Fall Series events that follow the Tour Championship.

#4 ·
2007 Schedule
Date Tournament TV
Jan. 1-7 Mercedes Championships TGC
Jan. 8-14 Sony Open in Hawaii TGC
Jan. 15-21 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic TGC
Jan. 22-28 Buick Invitational TGC, CBS
Jan. 29-Feb. 4 FBR Open TGC, NBC
Feb. 5-11 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am TGC, CBS
Feb. 12-18 Nissan Open TGC, CBS
Feb. 19-25 WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship TGC, NBC
Feb. 19-25 Mayakoba Classic at Riviera Maya TGC
Feb. 26-March 4 Honda Classic TGC, NBC
March 5-11 Tampa Bay Championship TGC, NBC
March 12-18 Bay Hill Invitational TGC, NBC
March 19-25 WGC-CA Championship TGC, NBC
March 26-April 1 Shell Houston Open TGC, NBC
April 2-8 The Masters USA,CBS
April 9-15 MCI Heritage TGC, CBS
April 16-22 Zurich Classic of New Orleans TGC, CBS
April 23-29 EDS Byron Nelson Championship TGC, CBS
April 30-May 6 Wachovia Championship TGC, CBS
May 7-13 Players Championship TGC, NBC
May 14-20 BellSouth Classic TGC, CBS
May 21-27 Colonial Invitational TGC, CBS
May 28-June 3 Memorial Tournament TGC, CBS
June 4-10 Stanford St. Jude Championship TGC, CBS
June 11-17 U.S. Open ESPN, NBC
June 18-24 84 Lumber Classic TGC, CBS
June 25-July 1 Buick Open TGC, CBS
July 2-8 The International TGC, CBS
July 9-15 John Deere Classic TGC, CBS
July 16-22 British Open TNT, ABC
July 16-22 U.S. Bank Championship TGC
July 23-29 Bell Canadian Open TGC, CBS
July 30-Aug. 5 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational TGC, CBS
Aug. 6-12 PGA Championship TNT, CBS
Aug. 13-19 Carolina Classic at Greensboro TGC, CBS
Aug. 20-26 Barclays Classic TGC, CBS
Aug. 27-Sept. 3 Deutsche Bank Championship TGC, NBC
Sept. 3-9 Championship Series (Chicago) TGC, NBC
Sept. 10-16 Tour Championship TGC, NBC

#6 ·
I don't actually think its to bad the new Canadian Open date. I haven't read any opinions in magazines etc. about it, but to me it seems good cuz its two weeks after the british open and two weeks before the pga championship which would be good for those guys who don't like to play the week before a major or fly in from the british open for the week after. Also, its close to the bridgestone event which is right after it in ohio I believe. As well, its good for those players who won't be playing at Browne Park which is already a pretty lack luster event. (U.S. Bank Champ)

#7 ·
According to above, the Canadian Open follows the British Open. That's a long flight back for all the losers (except the one winner, who won't be Mike Weir), to a touney that doesn't have much catchet. It's a bad schedule, but Rod Black will make the Canadian Open feel special.

#8 ·
recheck your dates, the cdn open is the week after the british open, and seeing as a world golf event is the week after I can see ALL the big players skipping the canadian open for the week of rest. So it will be no different then the previous couple years.

And it really does suck that TGC is getting the golf now, this basically means no HD in early rounds. Granted we never did before, but with ESPN/USA covering early rounds, you could at least see the possibility of HD down the road.

edit: asif9t9 beat me by ac ouple seconds. :)

#10 ·
This is a really good discussion. I really enjoy watching golf and I have never seen it in HD.
I have actually been quite frustrated about this. However this could be because I have only been an HD user since November.

So for those of you that have been privileged to see a tournament in HD what’s it like? Is there a huge difference? In SD I lose sight of the ball in mid air and see nothing but the sky.

I am hoping to see a nice difference with the close ups on the green and the long shots of the ball in flight. . I am also hoping that there will be a significant difference with the 5.1 sound. Especially when the ball is being hit and the gallery is applauding.

So will I be impressed with my first HD golf experience?

Thanks
Cam

edited for SP

#12 ·
I have had HD for 3 days. Really enjoying it so far. SD is what it is. I didn't buy this tv for th eSD channels I guess. I am looking forward to at least a couple tournaments in HD. I play way too much gol fin the summer (135+ rounds) so my winter days are used to watch golf (when not at work). I hope they have at least the masters in HD. I really hope they pull it together and have all the majors in HD...pretty sure the British Open won't be though.

#14 ·
Poolshark said:
...I hope they have at least the masters in HD. I really hope they pull it together and have all the majors in HD...pretty sure the British Open won't be though.
CBSHD covers the Masters in HD like every year, now. With the flowers blooming in April in Atlanta, it is one of the most beautiful HD events of the year.

In 2004, CBSHD followed the Masters with a couple more tournements in HD... but not in 2005.

#17 ·
Well, there probably isn't more of a difficult event to cover in HD than golf, simply because of the amount of terrain to cover, which would mean lots of cameras in lots of weird places and nooks and crannies which means $ so the economics of it means it's one of the last sports domains to get with it because its cost prohibitive.

Even places we've never been ourselves (skydiving, diving 20 below the surface) are easier to cover in HD than golf.

Lots of wireless cams are typically used in golf to follows golf groups, etc (or into the shite) and wireless HD cams are just hitting the market so it'll take a bit yet to adopt. Thats also why the 2 or 3 tourneys that we do actually get to see in HD still have lots of crappy SD shots from the fairway, etc, because they're using wireless SD cams for those shots. In those tourneys though, the green are usually all covered in HD since they're stationary HD cam.

But, nothing like Augusta in HD ! Quite stunning. You really get a sense of the elevation changes at Augusta too in HD, especially on an 80" screen :)

5 yrs most of 'em will be HD.

#19 ·
Golf is one of the best HD events. And people know it will be on every weekend. I have no clue as to why it can't be HD every week. The PGA should buy an HD truck for all the stations to use. Then the Golf Channel could broadcast in HD (getting an HD channel of course) the early rounds, the tourneys they have, as well as HD highlites from the weekends action.

#26 ·
thegman said:
And it really does suck that TGC is getting the golf now, this basically means no HD in early rounds. Granted we never did before, but with ESPN/USA covering early rounds, you could at least see the possibility of HD down the road.
Well with TGC carrying early rounds we will likely see more hours of coverage than in the past as TGC would get better ratings with live golf than instructional shows or whatever.

I don't know if the fact that TGC does 1st and 2nd round coverage will affect the likelihood of getting HD. I believe the equipment is typically provided by the network airing the weekend golf so if NBC/CBS is doing HD then the equipment will be there. Of course, ESPN has an HD channel(s) and TGC does not, but they may in a few years. But it is weekned coverage in HD that really matters to me as I don't get the chance to watch the early rounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.