Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

FreeHD Canada (now BluSky) - Satellite TV alternative may be coming....

140K views 322 replies 117 participants last post by  BGY11 
#1 ·
http://www.freehdcanada.ca/

FreeHD Canada Inc. is a new Canadian Direct-to-Home satellite company that has developed a unique offering for the Canadian
marketplace. FreeHD Canada plans to offer a superior High Definition TV offering (more HD channels, better quality, less price) to consumers across Canada.

FreeHD Canada has applied to the CRTC for a licence, and is seeking approval to launch its service in early 2011.
Looks good, hope they get approval and can deliver on the promises.

More info here
http://www.cartt.ca/news/FullStory.cfm?NewsNo=8444

#7 ·
This is exactly what Canada needs to kick-start the next generation of DTH.
I will be watching this closely for additional details such as price and availability.
If it looks good and reaches critical mass I will definitely consider it.
Maybe sir Richard Branson would like to invest in it...Virgin TV.

#9 ·
Sounds good in theory, but their hands will be tied by the CRTC, same as everyone else. The only possible advantage would be price, and I don't know how they could compete against the big established companies. Satellites are expensive! Remember Voom in the US!

-Mike

#11 ·
Yep, if you do the math, even with using MP4 and more modern transponder algorithms you still hit a capacity wall in trying to provide over 200 1080p signals that leads to the necessity of dreaded compression :eek: although the guy behind this new proposal does not deny that.

What is obvious though from his pitch is that he's correct about current DTH technology being ill-equipped for today's 1080i and 720p, let alone for a 1080p future.

#20 ·
They say they will be HD ‘including 1080p’ but that does not mean all channels will be 1080p. Just look at Dish Network how they are doing it… using their new Ciel-2 satellite that can deliver using spot beams over 200 HD channels and this guy did work for Ciel didn’t he. Then look at Direst TV they are using a combination of Ku and Ka band satellites to increase bandwidth.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish129.html

#12 ·
If they do manage to get enough sat space to offer these 1080p channels, the transponder rentals will be huge therefore,the service to get these channels will be just as high as Rogers or Bell. This will be interesting to see as it un(folds)...

#14 ·
Lets face it.

Bell and Shaw have a lot of overhead and legacy costs which means higher prices.

A shrewd lean and mean organization which only offers HD channels, abandons MPEG2 and does NOT offer SD versions should be able to keep costs down to be competitive.

Since they offer some Free Packages, the hardware costs would likely be higher since there is no subsidy (although, they may offer subsidized hardware with the paid package)

#26 ·
Lets face it.

Bell and Shaw have a lot of overhead and legacy costs which means higher prices.

A shrewd lean and mean organization which only offers HD channels, abandons MPEG2 and does NOT offer SD versions should be able to keep costs down to be competitive.

Since they offer some Free Packages, the hardware costs would likely be higher since their is no subsidy (although, they may offer subsidized hardware with the paid package)
The basic HD system is anticipated to be less than $299 at retail. FreeHD Canada also plans to offer a very competitively priced PVR-capable set-top, at prices below the current PVR model price points available (exact retail price TBD).

Source: http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/issues/ISArticle.asp?aid=1000338219

#17 ·
Bell is already offering heavy discounts to keep customers. They'll simply match any price this new outfit comes out with. Ditto for the cable companies. Sorry to be a downer, but this industry is just too regulated for a new competitor to succeed.

-Mike

#18 ·
Mike, unlike wireless where companies had to spend hundreds of billions for spectrum, (which will result in high prices right from the start), I believe this initiative has potential.

No huge upfront spectrum costs, no legacy costs and broadcasters who have no love for Bell or Shaw could make this viable.

Add in the shutdown of analog in 2011 and the fact that HD households will be much higher then and I thinks we could have a "contender!"

#19 ·
Now is a good time, like if Voom came out in the usa now they would have probably made it, they came out to early, bad thing is Canada with such a small population can make it hard plus the fact that many people don't no much about HD so it would be the guys that know there stuff getting it first, like guys on forums like this one.

If there receiver downloads then 1080p ppv movies would be easy, so far no network broadcasts in 1080p, the receiver should be advanced like the azbox and ps-3, then people can stream from there pc as well as go on the net on there tv.

I wish them luck, and hope they are approved.

#21 ·
It does sound like a good idea. Right now, Shaw/Rogers, etc. have most of their channels in in standard definition and maybe 25 in high definition. This new service sounds like it will put a big emphasis in high definition and only standard definition as an afterthought. Sounds like the only standard def channels they will have is local channels, and only if they don't broadcast in high definition.

But, sorry to be skeptical, but wasn't there some other HD service that applied for a licence from the CRTC a couple of years ago. They were turned down. Personally I can't see how more competition is a bad thing though - if a new start up company wants to take a chance then I say go for it. I'll at least wait and see what their price and selection are like.

FYI, their website says they will offer 200 channels in HD. I wonder where these will come from? They won't be allowed to just add numerous American channels and I don't think Canada has that many HD channels, at least not yet. Maybe part of their thinking is that by then more HD channels will be available?

Glen

#24 ·
I care about number of channels and picture/sound quality. Over 150 channels, some in 1080p?

I'll be one of their first customers as long as subscription for specialty channel is not outrageous (I wouldn't even mind a little higher).

I know at least 4 people who'd go with the free package.

I hope they have a good PVR. TiVo? Please!!!

#27 ·
So is the CRTC going to magically approve another 50-70 HD channels just so FreeHD can deliver on their promise!? And where is the satellite space going to come from? They can't build and launch in one to two years, never mind that all the useful orbital locations are spoken for. Dish and DirectTV scoop up every bit of space available, Canadian or other, and the 17 GHz BSS satellites are likely still a ways off.

-Mike

#28 ·
Freeview

Much like UK's Freeview service?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview_(UK)

What I'd like to see is this:

So the concept should be, if you buy the equipment, the local stations being free are a given. It should be a form of OTA via satellite so you do not even need to contact FreeHD to register an account. They don't know if you're using it or not (I'd be flexible on the mandatory registration). Via one promotional channel offering paid services, the hope is that you upgrade to paid services (specialty channels and diginets). Perhaps via the EPG, a way to "view all" so you see every channel offered and what's on... much like Rogers antique DOS-like UI that doesn't let you remove non-sub channels from the EPG. Of course, brochures and print ads would also be used to promote awareness of paid services. This is how they'll make the bulk of their money. But Canadians could access all local and distant OTA stations for free.

#29 ·
So is the CRTC going to magically approve another 50-70 HD channels just so FreeHD can deliver on their promise!?
Uh, actually the CRTC has approved many HD channels, around 50 at last count. They are all waiting to be launched, many are simulcasts of existing specialties. If this service gets past the first hurdle (CRTC approval) then they may be able to deliver on their promise if they find a way to get broadcasters to launch these channels. Here's the list:

AOV Jalapeño Heat HD (Adult)
BNN HD
Baseball TV HD
Bold TV HD
Book Television HD
Bravo! HD
CP24 HD
Discovery Channel HD
Game TV Canada HD
Comedy Network HD
Court TV Canada HD
CTV News Channel HD
Documentary HD
eScapes
Family Channel HD
Fashion Television Channel HD
Food Network Canada HD
Gol TV Canada HD
Green Channel HD
Green Planet HDTV
Grown Up Living HD
HGTV Canada HD
History Television HD
MTV HD
MuchMusic HD
MuchMore HD
OLN HD
Planet Green HDTV
Razer HD
Scream HD
Slice HD
Space HD
Star! HD
Teletoon HD
Travel + Escape HD
WFN HD
Wild TV HD

FRENCH

LCN HD
MusiquePlus HD
MusiMax HD
RIS HD
Télétoon HD
TFO HD

HIGH FIDELITY HDTV

BabyHD
Clash HD
Crafts & Hobbies HD
Centre Stage HD
Eureka! HD
Senior’s Life HD
Aqua HD
Women’s Sports HD
Gameworld HD
Horror HD

#30 ·
All of those are just place holders to ensure the American equivalent channel doesn't end up available here and when they do eventually launch they'll be picked up by the others anyway. So yes, eventually there will be 150 HD channels available in Canada, but not exclusive to FreeHD.

-Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.