Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Pace Summit (DC758D) thread

430K views 890 replies 213 participants last post by  Brakner 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is for discussion of the Pace Summit (DC758D).

Firmware Release Notes

User's Guide

FAQ:

1. How do I get into diagnostics?

To get to those diagnostics, press the power button, then press the select button within two seconds. To leave, press the power button.

2. How can I format the eSATA HDD?

While on the main diagnostics page (not the dashboard page), press

Repeat
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
LIVE

*MyDVR may be LIST on your remote depending on your cable provider

this will bring up a screen where you can select the drive to format and subsequently format the drive. After a few seconds, the box will reboot. After reboot, the drive will be available for use (the format is a two phase process so the initial format GUI may appear to be very quick).

Be aware that formatting the drive can't be undone and you will lose all the content on the drive. Do not use this screen unless absolutely necessary.

3. What are the discrete Power On/Off codes?

* HEX 4A (0x4A) for Power On
* HEX 4B (0x4B) for Power Off

4. Why is TV Guide indicating that my disk is not full when its definitely not full?

This is a bug in the guide. Most of the time, the only way to resolve it is to reboot your box. Sometimes (but very rarely) if you delete a recording, it may recover and get out of the error state.

5. How do I get into Pace User Settings?

Press the Power Button on the remote and then Menu. This will allow you to change a variety of settings. Press the Power button to return to live TV.

6. What is the PowerMenu?

It is the same as Pace User Settings (older name for the same function).

See less See more
#155 ·
My pace screwed up twice last nite. I was watching and recording a show and I hit last to watch the football game and it put this message up to phone a 1-888 number with code NH. The first part of the recorder program was interrupted and lost and it started recording the last part of the program. You can't even change channels while its recording without it screwing up? My confidence is real low.

#158 ·
Currently Shaw is collecting examples of NH showing up on Pace DCTs. Their tier 2 technical support was asked to collect examples and forward them on so if you call in they should be agble to take down your info and pass it along. (let's just hope they remember the request for info.)

#159 ·
Empty recordings on summit?

Seems like Kritiker has covered this really well, but I'm sad to say I have similar problems with my brand new Summit :(

I've only had the unit two weeks and so far there have been 7 failed recordings. All the same - 0 size files, seemingly no data stored at all. No pattern I can tell.

I was lucky enough to catch it in the act a few nights ago, perhaps this account will help someone. The box was going to record Daily Show at 12:00 and I wondered by at about 12:04 and noticed it was on, but no recording red light. Switched on the TV and it came up showing video for tuner 2 (not what is being recorded). I pressed 'List' and confirmed that the guide showed an aborted 1 min daily show recording. I pressed 'swap' and got a black screen. Waited about 15s and then did 'Power, Select' to view the diags. The tuner diags looked OK to me. Green 'GOOD' and changing counters. I then did Power, Power and was back to the non-PVR channel. Hit 'swap' again and once more got a black screen. This time after about 10s it automatically did 'swap' itself (!?!) I hit swap again and it tuned OK.

Interestingly when I did the first power off the box asked me if I really wanted to turn it off since it was recording - so some part of the software thought it was still recording..

I'm not sure what the best thing to do is, I'm reluctant to call Shaw, the pace diags seem to show a good signal, and I don't want the box replaced..

This is Summit firmware 14.34

Other than this I find the box to be pretty good. I hope a future firmware upgrade will fix it :(

#160 ·
Twisp, can your problem be, in some way, related to the one-minute recording problem mentioned in the Summit Release thread or even early on in this thread? Also has your box been resetting for some reason? Check the System Uptime in diagnostics screen 25 System Info and see if it corresponds to the last time you had trouble. Also, what were the MPEG & Trick File Sizes for the various problems you had? Did they all follow the same pattern?

My inclination would be not to exchange the hardware at this time. We are still on the first firmware version for the Summits and I am confident changes are on the way. I had the hardware swapped out too soon when I first had these problems on my Aspen and the result was that I went through a number of battered, refurbished units and still had the original problems.

If you cannot live with these problems for the short term, try to get a Motorola box. Otherwise wait for the firmware updates. That's what I intend to do.

Also, try always leaving your machine on. This may minimize problems until the firmware is fixed.

Good luck!

#161 ·
Twisp, can your problem be, in some way, related to the one-minute recording problem mentioned in the Summit Release thread or even early on in this thread?
Hard to say, but I'd say no - that seems to be multiple recordings with data, I just get one recording with nothing.

Also has your box been resetting for some reason? Check the System Uptime in diagnostics screen 25 System Info and see if it corresponds to the last time you had trouble.
Nope, no resets, I've been through all the status pages carefully and I don't see anything that leaps out as bad.

Also, what were the MPEG & Trick File Sizes for the various problems you had? Did they all follow the same pattern?
Every time I've looked they have been the same pattern, I'll try to post the whole listing next time it happens just to compare.

My inclination would be not to exchange the hardware at this time. We are still on the first firmware version for the Summits and I am confident changes are on the way. I had the hardware swapped out too soon when I first had these problems on my Aspen and the result was that I went through a number of battered, refurbished units and still had the original problems.
Right, I saw those posts from you, I agree, I'm hopeful it will just be fixed on its own as the user base increases. On a lark I did remove a -7db splitter from the cable installation here, diags shows a slight (0.5 or so, now about 35) improvement to SNR and strength (now about -0.1 to 0 dbmV) and a 10% decrease in AGC (now 60%) on the off chance that the bug is triggered by signal (taking too long to tune perhaps?), but I think the signal is pretty good here.. I haven't noticed many data drop outs.

The other thing is I foolishly used a non-Shaw drive - Shaw put their unit on a big sale the week after - not sure what Shaws policy is. I'm pretty confident that the drive is not the problem at least - no CRC errors, no lock ups, etc.

Also, try always leaving your machine on. This may minimize problems until the firmware is fixed. Good luck!
Thanks! We are almost done with the first run show season for fall anyhow!

Anyone know how the firmware is delivered? Shaw just reboots the box remotely one day or something?

Actually, I was wondering the prevalence of this? I was thinking of getting one of these units for my parents this Christmas to replace their aging analog Tivo, but I think they would be annoyed by this kind of bug.

#162 ·
Leaving the unit on doesn't prevent the failed recordings either! A program was being recorded so I had to leave the unit on. In the morning I checked it and I had another blank recording. I usually don't leave the unit on and one of the few times I do it craps out. So much for that quick fix.

#163 ·
Twisp, I was just curious about the MPEG and Trick file sizes for your problem. I have noticed different combinations of zero and non-zero file sizes.

Also, the firmware updates are applied on some dark and stormy night by the Shaw elves lightly touching each and every box, from afar.

Unofficially, I have heard that the updates might be available before Christmas but..... who can say?

Incidentally, the black/blank recording problem does, I am now told, affect the Summits too since there is, not surprisingly, a lot of shared code. Quelle surprise!

As to prevalence, I have been told up to 3% of recordings may be affected. In my experience the fraction has been significantly less than 3%, still annoying though.

JayZee, I was told only that leaving the box on may minimize the problem. I wasn't told that it would eliminate the problem. Sorry.

I still like the Pace viewing experience even if I am not happy with the Pace PVR experience so far and I will wait for the firmware updates, eagerly.

#164 ·
Switch to RF Bypass on Remote?

Hi Everyone!
Thanks for all the great tips on setting up the Pace unit. I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago, hooked up an eSATA drive and everything has worked like a charm. So far (touch wood) I haven't had any of the blank recording problems or any of the other bugs that people have mentioned. The only question I have right now is: How do you switch into RF Bypass mode on the remote control? I know that it must be possible because I have accidentally done it several times while programming the remote. I see the Bypass light come on while the unit is turned on, and it stays on when I power it down as per usual, but when I power it back on again the Bypass mode turns off. I'd like to be able to watch regular TV channels while recording on both tuners. Let me know if you know the key sequence to get there. :)

Much appreciated!
Steve

#168 ·
On saturday I caught the unit in the act of screwing up. It was supposed to be recording two back to back 1/2 hour shows. I was looking at the unit when the second show started and the red record led did not come on. I hit info and it showed the program was supposed to be recorded. I hit swap and the unit started to record but put up the NH code banner. At that point the unit was unresponsive but still recording. I called Shaw to report the code and after an hour later they finally called me. The tech. support "Ryan" told me he had never heard of this code. He reset my unit remotely and I asked him what had happen and he didn't know. I asked him if they were taking reports about these issues he said no. This is a little disturbing, it seems like they are not acknowleding there is a problem. I could have reset the unit by unplugging it myself. I would like everyone to call in everytime this happens so they realise they have a serious firmware issue, not just a small percentage. After the unit was reset I check the HDD stats and found some programs with file & trick sizes of 0 like all earlier posts.

#169 ·
JayZee, if you want to pursue the issue, the best way to do it is to open a trouble ticket and get the number. Then it gets documented and you reference it when it happens again. They will probably try to close the ticket, saying the problem has been solved, so you may have to be persistent.

#173 ·
Just thought I'd throw in my experiences as well. I always seem to have the blank recording problem with Monday's Californication on MCHD.

At first I thought the problem was related to the guide info always being wrong and not stating it was a 'new' show, or maybe because I had both a series recording and manual recording setup for the program. This week I had deleted the series recording and just used a manual one and again it did not record properly. The recording is listed but is blank and you can't fast forward or do anything with it. A couple weeks ago I was home in time for it and there was no record light on.

I deleted it before I looked at the diagnostics, but will look at those next Monday and give an update.

Of course it is probably the only show that MCHD only shows once, though it is on MC on Demand and the SD MC.

#174 ·
Just set up my Pace box, using a Memory Express velocity enclosure and seagate drive. The issue I'm having is with noise. I'm using this box in my bedroom and even when nothing is being recorded and the box is powered down I can hear the hard drive being accessed due to the typical hard drive noise. I'm a light sleeper and this damn thing is keeping me up! Does this occur with Shaw branded expansion drives, is it an issue with the USB/eSata enclosure?

Assuming I can't get this figured out I'm looking to pick up a Motorola unit instead. Does it also keep hard disks spun up when it's powered off?

Thanks.

#176 ·
Good day all.
I have read this thread especially, having purchased the Shaw/Pace DC758D DCT solo.
Went locally to purchase separate WD 1TB Black drive with a NEXStar- 3 eSATA external caddy.
I should have tried this first, but I cannot seem to enter the Pace box's menu system even using the method at the top by Lindend, to format the drive as others have purported to have done.

I have the drive ready to "go", but I want to be sure to be able to enter the menu first before plugging in the eSATA cable, which seems a no go so far.
I have tried the front panel buttons as well as the remote ones.
Both have been plugged into the 750VA UPS so it should be stable and stay up.
Any further inside tips on getting into the menu?

#177 ·
Ensure that your Summit is on. Then follow the directions
To get to those diagnostics, press the power button, then press the select button within two seconds. To leave, press the power button.
to get into the Diagnostics Dashboard. To get to the main Diagnostics Menu press left arrow.

You should not have to enter the diagnostics to format the drive. When you turn on the Summit after attaching your drive you will be automatically prompted to format it. (Early directions suggested unplugging your Summit. Newer directions have indicated that it is sufficient just to turn the it off.) Unplug the drive then attach it to the Summit, then plug in the drive, then plug in the Pace box (if it was unplugged), then turn on the drive (if it has a separate switch) and then turn on the Summit. Note that external HDDs are not hot-swappable with the Summit (and other Pace HD PVRs).

Later, should you wish to reformat, then follow the directions in the first post of this thread to reformat the drive, noting that you start from the main Diagnostics Menu, not the Diagnostics Dashboard. (Actually, if the directions to reformat don't work from the main diagnostics menu, try from the HDD status page of the diagnostics.) After entering the key sequence you will be given the opportunity to reformat (among other things). It will not happen by itself.

There is a separate thread, Adding a SATA Drive To Pace HDPVRs, discussing the use of external HDDs with Pace HD PVRs, including the Summit.

#178 ·
HDMI audio drop outs

So, I was using the pace for about a month with an older analog only TV with just the 'usual' random problems but I just picked up a new Sony KDL-40V5100 and HDMI connected the Pace. Now I've seen 3 cases where the audio over HDMI starts to break up, then goes silent, then breaks up and then runs fine (30s or so total). I checked the analog audio out from the pace during this time and it is fine - so it seems there is something wrong between the TV and the Pace.

I've noticed several Pace firmware releases have notes about fixing HDMI audio problems, so I'm inclined to blame the pace.. :(

Anyone else seen this? Any suggestions for a work around?

#179 ·
tried that before posting Kritiker all to no avail. However stange as it may be I inadvertently had my finger on the Power button while shoving the power cord back in so it didn't get knocked off the shelf, and I actually SAW something other than the regular running user menu. It was definitely a BIOS type of menu that the box itself was in.

V 1.02 Pace Baker DC758D Loader

The ASTB needs to download new software. This could take a few minutes, please be patient.

Tuning to frequency: Done
Checking available software: rfb1434_
Find Software Channel : Done
Find Download Channel : Done
Download Software : ....
it started downloading somewhere north of 7500, and did a count down in the progress meter and the LED on the front panel.
Once completed mentioned "Caution updating ... do not switch off..."(or something like that -it was a fast screen).
reboots on its own after a short time all the while outputting a black screen (not nothing... an actual black screen) and afterward it rolled by with quite a few codes, and then here it sits with a double flashing LED (message LED) and powering it up gives a BLACK screen and the number 0. At this point it does not boot past this point. So I can't do a darned thing now.

It never did nor does it now go into any other screen.
I guess it will be tech support tomorrow on the phone.
I am thankful the brand new HD didn't get bricked as well.

Silly me. I figured this would be a relatively simple process.

#180 ·
It never did nor does it now go into any other screen.
I guess it will be tech support tomorrow on the phone.
I am thankful the brand new HD didn't get bricked as well.

Silly me. I figured this would be a relatively simple process.
Did it ever work?

Sounds kinda like Shaw hasn't activated it properly.. (Did you call to activate it?)

BTW! Shaw cautioned me when I activated one of these that you MUST NOT connect the HD until the box is provisioned.

If you buy one, leave the HD in the box, hook it up the TV, call Shaw, have them do their thing, *make sure you can watch TV*, then unplug the power, connect the HD, and power it up again, HD first.

That was actually pretty easy, took < 10 mins on the phone, no waiting for a CSR, the longest time was just waiting for the box to reboot and load the software.

#181 ·
Jerky video

I've been using the Pace Summit since mid October and am on my second unit. The first unit was continually freezing and displaying the code NH message, as well as recording incomplete and blank shows. It was replaced by Shaw.

The new one thankfully, has fewer issues. One thing, though, is that occasionally, the video does not play smoothly - it's as though there is a pulse every second or so causing a jerkiness to the video. If I hit the pause button and then resume playing, the video will usually become smooth again. It seems to occur with both recorded programs and live broadcasts.

Also, I am still getting the occasional blank recording.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.