Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Xbox 360 HDD Transfer Disk

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  the hawk 
#1 ·
Mods, please excuse if I did not post in correct forum. Do not know if this technically constitutes a "general buying" or not since it is Video Gaming specific.

I picked up a 250Gb Xbox360 Hard Drive that came with the Data Transfer Cable, but was missing the Transfer Software CD. Anybody have one they could "pay it forward", lend, or otherwise sell cheap? Is there an ISO of the CD that can be downloaded? Does M$ provide replacements?

#3 ·
The MS solution is the easiest as it's done all with your console. The downside is it wipes your old HDD clean.

There are other solutions though you can use.

Two of the more popular ones is XPort360 and Xplorer360.

Xport360 download and info:

http://uk.codejunkies.com/support/article.aspx?article_id=272

This program allows you to transfer ever single thing from your old HDD to your new one using your PC. It leaves everything on the old HDD intact.

Here's a video tutorial on how to use it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXnsrZo-TCk

Two words of warning:

1)This is not a quick process.....it's quite slow. Depending on how much stuff you have on your old HDD it can take hours to transfer.

2)Make sure you have enough free space on your PC's HDD to accomodate what's on your 360's HDD as it transfers everything to a working folder on your PC first.

3)Don't transfer saved game installs. For one it adds tons of time to the process and you'll have to delete them anyway and re-install them on the new HDD because the 360 will pick up that these games were installed on a different drive before (piracy control)

I used this program months ago to transfer my 60gb to a 250gb and it worked mint.

#4 ·
I don't know if with the last dashboard update they did a couple months ago they built the Hard Disk transfer option into the OS or what, but for a hoot I connected the 250GB drive to the rear USB with the 20GB still in the docking bay and when I powered on my 360, a message popped up saying "Drive transfer cable detected. Do you wish to transfer your data?" I said yes, and it proceeded to copy everything to my new drive. Afterward, I was directed to visit the Xbox Microsoft Live website from my PC and log on with my Xbox Live profile. A short 3 step process generated a request to transfer all my Game Licenses. Once that was done, I powered off my Xbox and after swapping the old 20GB in docking bay with the new 250GB drive, on my next power up of the 360 I was prompted that a system update was available - which I applied. All my data from the old drive is now available again (IE: Profiles, RB Downloads, etc).

As I said, I don't know if this is a new thing, because the M$ website still talks about absolutely needing this CD I requested in my original post to accomplish the task. Perhaps the CD method is now more for people who do not connect their 360 to the Internet. As a side note, it should be noted that according to the website I visited during the 3 step process, it stated this method of transfer can be performed only once a year. Also, after visiting the website to transfer your licenses, you must complete the transaction (IE: apply the 360 Console Update) within 30 minutes.

Anyways, thank you to the people who offered their ideas toward solving my issue.

#5 ·
I had no idea they could do that.....thanks for enlightening me. They must have added it to a dashboard update (maybe the "USB as a memory device" upgrade) I never knew they added this function to it but then again I don't read up on the details of the dashboard updates when they come out.

On second thought I think there was an update recently when the new Slim 360 launched. Perhaps they added this function then to allow slim owners to transfer their HDD content tfrom their "fat" to the new slim HDD which is not compatible with the transfer cable.

#6 ·
Transfer from old to the slim?

I am bit confused on a previous post. I just purchased the new SLIM xbox360. What should I do to transfer over all the information?

Do I need the transfer cable $30? And it transfers over data and licenses e.g games I have purchased on xbox etc?

Quite confused on the best method.

#8 ·
I am bit confused on a previous post. I just purchased the new SLIM xbox360. What should I do to transfer over all the information?

Do I need the transfer cable $30? And it transfers over data and licenses e.g games I have purchased on xbox etc?

Quite confused on the best method.
Refer to these posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1125847&postcount=36

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1125980&postcount=38

And yes....you need the transfer cable (can be bought for $20 shipped on eBay) but you no longer need the transfer disc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.