Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Channel Changes - All Service Areas August 7/8

27K views 108 replies 43 participants last post by  g011um 
#1 ·
Wonder if this is the start of Shaw getting their act together to add more HD content...

From the Shaw website https://www.shaw.ca/Customer-Bulletins/
"On August 7 and 8, 2012, changes are being made to enrich your TV experience. Our high definition (HD) television lineup is being improved to have channels that feature similar programming conveniently grouped together."

Looking at what they have posted, there are major gaps between some channels where they can add channels. Although not sure I see what Bravo! and Animal Planet have in common at 273 and 274.

#81 ·
Good news for me finally. I tried calling in again this morning but couldn't wait long enough on hold to get to a tech. Had other things I had to do. Sometime between 10am and 1pm though, the channels above 250 appeared in the guide with TBA. I promptly reset the Gateway and the guide populated so now I seem to have all my channels in the guide and they match where the guide says they should be. I guess they pushed the channel changes to my Gateway at last to match the guide change. Still curious why mine went out of sync with the changes but I guess that is just part of the differences some Gateway users experience vs. other users.

#82 ·
Having KOMO on Channel 2 makes no sense to me. Who's brilliant idea was this? :rolleyes:

I don't know what's with the gaps in the line-up. It just looks silly.

Until yesterday I discovered I could get CMT and WTN if i insert the coax into my VCR rather than the DCX3400

I subscribe to SPP bare bones and don't subscribe to those channels, but I 'could' watch them on Analog at no charge apparently

if I wanted to.

#83 ·
Our bedroom DCX 3200 (M) HD box can get Ch.266 both video and audio. The DCT 3416 (I) PVR only receives the sound but no picture. Is there a way to get both audio and video on 266 using the PVR? My area of Burnaby hasn't gone DNU yet although was promised way back in the beginning of March.

#86 ·
Even after a call to gateway support, channels 281 and 282 in Edmonton are showing TBA. (Movie Central HD 2 and 3).

He told me to wait until after the Olympics are done and they pull 218 and 219 to see if it fixes them. He was quite baffled.

Kinda lame... I can use the SD versions to see what's on, but can't record anything on them of course.

#88 ·
@Brakner

Because Animal Planet is Owned by Bell Inc and they require you to subscribe to the digital equivalent before receiving the HD version. So regardless of the HD package you have with Shaw (HD Plus, Best of HD) if you don't get Animal Planet SD you will not get Animal Planet HD. Same goes with Space HD, Discovery HD, and Bravo HD.

BTW that is likely the reason why those channels are grouped together in the HD channel lineup.

#89 · (Edited)
According to Shaw’s website AP HD is part of “Best of HD”.

When I called Shaw few weeks ago to ask when the new channels would be available, they said very soon. The also said the older packages were the equivalent to the newer ones and we wouldn’t have to upgrade our package. I guess they were wrong.

#94 ·
If you have an MPEG4 capable STB then it's a DNU issue for sure. Not all areas are the same but rather than change the equipment just for the sake of one or two channels, they are waiting for the full DNU completion. It's just one of those things and all you can do is wait for it. You can try calling Shaw and complaining but it likely won't change anything. If you are really polite and pleasant, you might be able to coax some kind of completion date out of them if you can get high enough up the chain.

#96 ·
No Animal PlanetHD or

Hey newfbc ;) remember me Potato from the net ? lol

Having chatted with tech about the APHD issue, he did a few things, I lost all my channels. I did a few other things as I then connected my TV directly from box to the wall. Unplugged the box. After many resets etc I finally have my channels back EXCEPT no APHD :( He said I should also get 266 NGHD?

He said he will send a tech out Aug 21-yikes and perhaps there is a filter still left at my apt building *shrug*

Oak and Broadway here.

#97 ·
I've scanned this thread and haven't seen anything about this issue (I may have missed it though -- if so I apologize): TSN HD and Sportsnet Pacific HD have both been on two separate channels since the channel changes date. Snet is on 218 and 223, while TSN is on 219 and 225. Anyone else seeing this?

#99 ·
If my DCT 3416 (1) PVR is incapable of getting the video on Ch. 266 (but can get the audio) because it's MPEG 4, does that mean that I won't be able to receive some of the newer channels as they probably will be transmitted in the newer MPEG 4 format. In other words, is my 3 year old (approx.) Motorola PVR obsolete and will I have to buy a newer PVR that's MPEG 4 capable? Is there an electronic chip that could be installed to bring it up to the MPEG 4 standard? Thanks

#109 ·
In other words, is my 3 year old (approx.) Motorola PVR obsolete and will I have to buy a newer PVR that's MPEG 4 capable?
I certainly don't mean to come to Shaw's defense here, but while you've only had the 3416 for 3 years, the manuals for the 3400 series on Motorola's website are dated 2005; 2007 for the 3416. That's pretty old for a piece of technology.

I'm in the same boat with my 6416. The problem is Shaw rolling out 2, 3, 4 year old technology to customers as if it were the latest thing.

#101 ·
Thanks doglips. After reading all the posts it seems we are royally screwed! It doesn't seem right that they can change the technology that is not compatible with the slightly older PVR DCT 3416(1) etc.
During the 1950's, there were two competing colour technologies:The CBS System that was not compatible with black and white transmissions and the NBC System that was compatible. The NBC Living Color System won out because only a handful of people had colour sets and but there were millions of people with B&W sets. I wonder why they didn't design the MPEG 4 channels to be compatible with MPEG 2 boxes? Failing that, could they not come up with a MPEG 4 to MPEG 2 converter device?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.