Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Landline filter prevent kids picking up phone when i'm on business call?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Macman 
#1 ·
Does such a thing exist?

Looking for some kind of filter so that when I'm on a business call, if one of the kids picks up the phone (bell landline) in another room, they won't be "in" my call!

It's hard to google because you just get dsl filter info.:rolleyes:

#2 ·
The best bet would be to get a separate line for the other phones. Check the VOIP threads for some cheap options. There are devices out there that can disconnect phones downline but that will require some rewiring. It should be possible to disconnect a phone if the line is busy elsewhere but I'm not aware of any devices that do this.

#3 ·
Those devices that allow security systems to grab a phone line might work. You'd plug your "business" phone into the security side and the rest of the house connects to the other. Years ago, that function was built into dial up modems and FAX machines. A Google search may help.

#4 ·
I was thinking that some phone/fax line sharing devices might do this as well. It would take some research into how each device actually works. Plugging the business phone into the fax output and connecting the other phones to the phone output might do what is desired. I saw one that provides manual keytone switching to the fax line. OTOH, several months or years of VOIP can be purchased for what one of these devices cost.

#5 ·
Guys, I have googled this at length before & after your suggestions and can't find anything.

If someone can post a link to a device that works I swear I'll give you ONE MILLION DOLLARS ;) Currently paying for two lines for two lines so I'll make that $ back in a thousand years..

#7 ·
If you have access to the phone wiring and have a dedicated line to the office, you could use a RJ31X jack which would temporarily disconnect the the rest of the house lines when you pickup the office phone handset and re-connect them when you hang up.

#8 ·
OK, ONE MILLION DOLLARS :eek: <insert evil laugh> is a lot, I've emailed the company to find out if it will work, I asked this;

- when I'm on phone A & someone else picks up phone B elsewhere in the house, I want phone B *not* to intrude on my call, basically phone B should be dead if phone A is in use.

I will advise, and I bow to your goggle-fu

#12 ·
For about $15 I'll be able to save $30/month now.

http://cgi.********/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=301063412202&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:CA:1123

I went with the simple TG-1, Viking confirmed I can just put it in my phone jack in the living room and it will prevent "barge in" when I'm on the phone in the office. Conversely I will be able to "barge in" from the office.

Add the satisfaction of denying Bhell that 2nd line $$ (TSI has a long standing stop sell in my area for home phone)..priceless!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.