Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Keep getting booted off of Netflix (Xbox 360)

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Dioneo 
#1 ·
This problem has been happening in the last couple of days. I have my 360 hooked up with a WIRED connection to my DLink router (heard that when streaming video it's best to go wired) and my router is then wired to my modem. Just so we get this straight....I have no wireless connection going on here. Everytime I try to watch something on Netflix I get a screen that comes up and asks me to upgrade to Gold and the only thing I can do is to switch profiles and reconnect again. This ends up working but this keeps happening every 5-10 minutes! :mad:

I have tried to clear my cache and deleted and re-installed Netflix. Has this been happening to anyone else this month? Should I be contacting Netflix or Xbox about this issue? I'm really hoping that someone in here can offer some help or guidance. I hate calling Xbox and waiting so long to speak with someone who won't give me as good advice as people on forums usually do. :D

I thought that if I deleted all my other profiles, maybe it won't ask me to switch? Sounds pretty stupid but if it'll work I'm willing to do that. If I can't get this resolved, I'll just have to use my Wii instead. Not too happy if this ends up happening because I really enjoy watching my HD content and I don't really have the funds right now to go out and buy a Roku player. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
You aren't the only one having the problem - there are a decent number of reports about the same thing floating around XBox forums. There doesn't seem to be a simple answer.

Some suggest deleting and re-installing the Netflix app. Others suggest re-downloading your XBL profile onto your console.

One guy's problem was solved by fixing his NAT type:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/nat-type-strict

#5 ·
A quick Google search found

If you get kicked off Xbox Live when trying to view Netflix, try deleting the Netflix application, then clear the cache, and then re-install Netflix. If that doesn't help, try resetting your network settings on the console to factory default. Go to the Settings hub, select System, then Network Settings, then select your network. Choose Configure Network Settings, scroll to the Additional Settings tab and choose Restore to factory defaults.
Have you checked your netflix account so see how many remote devices you have for it? If your xbox is not on the list it may be kicking you out. Don't know if that'll fix it but who knows
Also from Xbox's Netflix site
http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/apps/netflix/netflix-on-xbox-info

#8 ·
Isn't it MADDENING to you who watch Netflix on your 360 to pay for Netflix, then have to pay for Live to have access to it?
Sure, but the $35/year I spend on Xbox Live is such a small amount of money I have a hard time getting worked up about it. Xbox Live is the best gaming service available for consoles, and it has quality content and capabilities that the competing systems from Nintendo and Sony do not. So, whatever.

If the only reason you have Xbox Live was to use Netflix, I see your point. But again, it's such a small amount of money. Keep your eyes out for when it goes on sale. When the annual cards are being sold for $35, that is the time to buy.

So, on the OP's problem. There are three problem categories for the symptoms he described. Hardware problems, software problems (i.e. a bug in the Netflix app), and network problems. I'm almost certain that the root cause of his problem is network problems. If it was a software problem, there are so many people who have identical software on their Xbox consoles, it would be a pandemic. It could potentially be a hardware issue (e.g. issue with the network interface on that particular Xbox), but my money is on network issues.

#9 ·
I know this is thread hijacking, but I don't think we can say XBL Gold is the better value anymore. PSN+ is. Sony has enriched the benefits for PSN+ since the service was launched:

http://www.1up.com/news/playstation-plus-rethink-xbox-live

I'm keeping my XBL Gold membership, as most of my co-op play is done on the 360. I also have too many games on the go as it is, so the "free" games aren't a big benefit to me. But if I was starting over right now, I wouldn't hesitate to be a PSN+ user instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.