Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There

423K views 2K replies 190 participants last post by  marvin23 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57 - 2016.03.26:

This thread was developed when the RTN firmware was new. Rogers has pushed the new Navigatr firmware to 8642 and 9865 PVRs & 4642 STBs. (NB2, NB3) Search for Navigatr on this forum to see the new threads on that topic. This thread has been closed and unstuck.

Here's a link to the Rogers info on the new IPG - please read these instructions before asking how to do something since most items are outlined here:

http://rogers-tv-enhancements.com/tips.html

To discuss the Whole Home PVR, please use the following thread:

Whole Home PVR in Ontario Discussions (NextBox 2.0/3.0) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here's a link for the latest issues and other relevant information regarding the new firmware/IPG. Thanks to viper359 for this summary and the tips that follow the summary.

New Firmware / (HD) IPG for 8642, 4642 Discussions - Read Post 1 and Links There - Page 55 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Well, its not a rumour anymore. I just got something in the mail. I am about to scan it and post it here for you folks.

Edit by 57. I have split these firmware/IPG discussions from the "Whole Home" thread since they can apply to any 8642 or 4642.

See less See more
#212 ·
Depends how Rogers servers are set-up. If they stopped the update, they might have removed it completely from their system, or they use multiple servers. Who knows. Until the bugs are worked out, why would you want to. lol :p

#215 ·
While I understand you're upset, your "computer" system is accessing a private network. As such, they do not require your permission to update your equipment which is accessing a private network. Basically, you take the updates, or you don't access the service. You would also have a hard time justifying your legal ownership over the recorded content. You might own the box, you do not own the content recorded. Hence why no other box can play material from another box.

As someone who has lost all their recordings on numerous occasions due to Rogers incompetence, I get it. However, lawsuits don't solve the problem. It merely increases our monthly bills to pay for them, the settlement, and then the lawyer's fee's.

On the subject, have you called Rogers Retentions regarding your issues, seeking credit? I have received on numerous occasions credits for the problems I have had. Even when I lost my recordings on my external drive, which Roger's doesn't support, unless its their external drive. To reach retentions, just select cancel from the telephone, tell them you want to cancel and why. Explain nicely, and usually, the reps are good about helping you.

Again, take no offence, i mean no personal attack or anything. I just don't agree with the US style of civil justice. It serves only a select few people. I do have to give Roger's credit on this upgrade, while they screwed it up royally AGAIN, they have been releasing updates and patches almost nightly, and are actually trying to solve the problem without sweeping it under the rug. For once, the might have learned something.

#216 ·
tvnut64: I agree with you. However, some others made a valid point about still wanting to change to it. It sounds as if Rogers wants it work so you can directly enter the channel number. Either way for me would work fine.

Can I confirm, you have the Bell Satellite right? I think someone else stated they had a bell service and you could tune directly, but not sure if that was satellite or their IPTV offerings.

#218 ·
Yeah, Craig, that's not even close to being the same as erasing your tapes. Especially if you rent the PVR. But even if you own the PVR, it requires a subscription to work, meaning you don't own 100% of the process.

Bottom line is, I'd say you'd have an argument for leaving Rogers, even if you are in a contract, and possibly entitled to a months worth of PVR service for free. If they refused you that, and you want to clog up small claims court for $25, then technically you may have a point.

But there are no real damages here. If a judge ever thought you were entitled to some sort of punitive damages, or "pain and suffering" they should have their head examined.

The purpose of court isn't for profit, it's to make someone "whole" again... and the damage done here is so negligible, that the idea of court is laughable. I agree it's a big part of what is wrong in the world these days.

#219 ·
I'm afraid we'll have to 'agree to disagree" here. I do own the hardware. Rogers 'owning the network" is irrelevant. I pay for current NEW data (shows). As for the damages, YOU explain to my wife how there were no damages... shows she cared about and saved, that are no longer available.

The point you are missing is that via gross incompetance and an utter lack of quality control and product testing Rogers damaged digital data legally held on a privately owned piece of equipment. Repeatedly. There has been no mechanism to 'opt out' of these 'upgrades' and there is no mechanism to back up or protect existing data.

I do agree that the individual costs would be relatively small, but in a class action suit the potential penalty for Rogers could be significant.

The only reason I am suggesting this is in the hopes of Rogers realizing that quality control is not something to be ignored, and that they could have financial penalties if they continue with the status quo.

Were there actual competition rather than a 2 company monopooly this sort of thing would be corrected by the market - i.e. loss of customers.

Rogers at this point is simply a bully. They need to be called on it.

#220 ·
Were there actual competition rather than a 2 company monopooly this sort of thing would be corrected by the market - i.e. loss of customers.

Rogers at this point is simply a bully. They need to be called on it.
We can definitely agree on this. In my mind, it's barely a 2 company monopoly, if Satellite isn't an option. (although I understand Bell has a new cable service rolling out... so hopefully that might help a bit, but probably not.).

Btw, I appreciate your thought out response. I re-read mine, and hoped it didn't come across too rude. It can be hard to convey tone in text. I have all kinds of problems with Rogers, don't get me wrong. But I do have all sorts of problems with lawsuits too. I'm just tired of hearing about people getting millions because their coffee was too "hot". I know that's a completely different scenario, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when people say "sue! sue!".

#221 ·
Off topic, so my last thoughts on it. You don't own the content on your digital box that you have saved. You don't have any rights to record shows, its accepted by law that we do record them, think VCR days, but you have no legal guarantee to be able to record a broadcasted encrypted signal.. You pay for the signal, that is all. Hence why the old PVR fee disappeared. Then you would have had a valid legal argument. Now, its a digital service fee.

Again, you own the box, irrelevant. No one forced you to buy it. Owning it does not give you any more rights than someone who rents a box. You own, to save over renting over the long term. You don't have an option about the updates. If you were to block them, you can be blocked from accessing the Rogers service. I own my Xbox 360, but I MUST accept xbox live firmware updates, or I cannot access their service.

Even if a class action lawsuit was won, you think for a minute its going to hurt Rogers? It's going to hurt you and me. Companies don't absorb costs like that, they pass them on. Much like every other tax, fee, etc etc etc.

I would rather people pick up the phone and complain and complain until the reps on the other ends ears are so sore, they complain to their bosses, and that chain continue right up to the top. The only way to make a company change is by leaving them. When enough customers give a company the finger, they either change, or go bankrupt.

#229 ·
You don't own the content on your digital box that you have saved. You don't have any rights to record shows,

<snip>

Again, you own the box, irrelevant.

<snip> I own my Xbox 360, but I MUST accept xbox live firmware updates, or I cannot access their service.
We are unlikely to ever agree. If I OWN a hard disk, then I own the data on it. Period. If someone damages my data, it is in general a crime. Period. If it is done via negligence, then the perpetrator may be laible.

You come into my house, your break my stuff, you're on the hook. Period.

Regarding X-Box.. the software in general is of much higher quality AND there is competition in gaming consoles.

#222 ·
SW Ver:3.0.0.1516
UI Ver: 3.1.5.24.04.09.11/28392

More that needs to be fixed:

When viewing the guide and you select and set up a program to record:
- when done, it displays a confirmation popup (this is not needed - it should be removed)
- after getting past that popup, you are then booted back to the guide - but not where you "were" - it kicks you back to your current day/time/channel.
- you are then now forced to navigate back to whatever channel/day/time you were at when you selected that program to record
- this needs to be fixed (get rid of that confirmation popup, and when done setting up the recording - you should stay at the same location in the guide.)

When watching a program that you recorded on your pvr:
- if you let the program play to the very end, it will give you a pop-up screen which allows you to delete, save, etc
- however, if you are FFwding to the end of the program, the pop-up will not appear, you are just kicked out of the program and taken back to the root (very beginning) first entry of your recorded shows
- this needs to be fixed so that the pop-up presents itself in both scenarios above, plus you should not be booted back to the root location of your recordings - it should keep you in whatever folder/recorded listing location you were at with that particular program

I am still experiencing issues with the PVR recording 24 hours when it should only be recording 30 minutes. Example, Family Guy at 12am to 1230am on HFoxW. For some reason it keeps recording for a full 24 hours. Rogers ??

I have no idea what they are acting upon to fix issues. It is too bad that after going through the effort to fill out their survey with suggestions, they offer no feedback regarding acknowledgement of issues and progress of fixes.

While the speed has improved (very minimally), they have a long way to go to fix this, as it is unacceptably laggy and slow - especially dealing with any recorded programs.
This weekend, accessing any On Demand programming was so slow I gave up waiting.
Terrible.

#224 ·
icemankent: That's weird, I have the same software and version as you, but on a Non PVR, and it flies now in comparison to before. Its actually I would say almost normal. I notice some slowness, but in the boxes defence, some of it could be me, as its a learning curve anytime new software is deployed.
Even the guide seems to pop up very quickly.

Is there anyone else with the Non PVR and the PVR who has the latest firmware that can add to the comments? I am wondering if there is something different between the two in hardware that is the problem, or maybe the coding for the pvr functions is off?

If my PVR acts as good as my bedroom box, I would be content for the most part.

#226 ·
Hey Viper - I'm happy for you - but I'm not so lucky.

I have two 8642 pvrs and it is the same bad news for both of them.
It would seem that the issues that these boxes are experiencing are due to faulty software design where it bogs the entire device down in the presence of a hard drive related to pvr functionality.

#225 ·
Anyone else experiencing reboots almost every time they try to schedule a new series recording. If the PVR is currently recording something and you try to schedule it to record a new series. It creates the recording and just after displaying the OK it reboots. Has done it about a dozen times on me over the past 5-6 weeks.

VERY frustrating. I really want my old PVR back with the limited but stable and functioning firmware.

#228 ·
I had the same issue. Thats why I got them to give me a free rental of the 8300. The 8300 is now my main pvr until they fix this main issue. I was hoping this issue was fixed with the newer update but it looks like its still there. Im guessing you have the following software version?
Software version is 3.0.0.1516

#227 ·
I also, have the new UI on my 4642 but the old one on my 8642. The new UI runs at an acceptable speed on the 4642 when using the modern HD theme. With the classic theme its practically unusable. I find that once you launch the guide or menu once, it will launch very quickly if you launch it again within a couple of minutes. If more than say 10 minutes elapse and you try to fire up the guide or the menu again it can take as long as 10 seconds for the stb to respond. Also, they haven't done anything to address scrolling, the scrolling is absolutely torturous on the new guide on the 4642, when scrolling onto a new page, it takes a couple of seconds to respond. Very annoying. Hopefully they'll have this all fixed within a few weeks when they launch their new marketing campaign to compete with Bell Fibe.

#230 ·
If I OWN a hard disk, then I own the data on it.
Although off-topic for this thread, this is incorrect. The programming on the PVR is for time-shifting. It is not yours to store forever or use forever. The distributors can even tag programming to disappear after a certain time. They are not doing it at this time for most programming, but they could. If you wish to discuss this topic further, please start another thread.

#233 ·
My new software version is 3.0.0.1517.

Haven't noticed any changes so far. Hopefully it's faster, less buggy and doesn't reboot all the time.
Yep, got the same software update on my 4642. Seems to be more responsive. Menus pop up much faster and the speed is consistent, unlike before, where it would become laggy again if you didn't access any of the menus for 10 minutes or more. Guide scrolling still needs work though. 8642 still remains on the old UI.

#236 ·
For me the bug with hidding channels is still there. When choosing to hide a channel it's only suppose to hide it from the guide and channel surfing. Your still suppose to be able to view the channel by entering the channel number on the remote.

I wonder if the other bug is fixed now where it constantly records a show or channel even when it's done recording. Some one else mentioned this in their post recently.

#240 ·
The reason I ask when people get an update is again so that if Rogers and I am sure other posters are following that they can see that these are the types of issues currently present but more importantly so the same issue isn't posted 10 times in the same thread. It seems to be only a few handful got the update and it got haulted due to all these issues, can it be confirmed that this has been put on hold offcially ? (Besides the one poster who claims Rogers over the phone told him it was put on hold)

#241 ·
Yes, Rogers employees have bulletins that say the rollout has officially been delayed. No reason is given for this, of course. What this means is that existing customers who have cisco equipment and have not received the update will not get it until the rollout resumes. In addition, no one can sign up for Whole Home PVR until the rollout resumes. However, new customers who are issued Cisco equipment will get the new UI, and existing customers who swap their old SA equipment for Cisco equipment will get the new UI. Customers who already have the new UI will continue to receive software updates when the become available, even though the rollout is delayed.

#242 ·
Yes, Rogers employees have bulletins that say the rollout has officially been delayed. No reason is given for this, of course. What this means is that existing customers who have cisco equipment and have not received the update will not get it until the rollout resumes. In addition, no one can sign up for Whole Home PVR until the rollout resumes. However, new customers who are issued Cisco equipment will get the new UI, and existing customers who swap their old SA equipment for Cisco equipment will get the new UI. Customers who already have the new UI will continue to receive software updates when the become available, even though the rollout is delayed.
I picked up a new 320GB 8642 HD PVR last week for rental from Rogers Plus which they said they just received that day, but it still has the old IPG. My 4642 has been updated a couple of weeks ago.

#243 ·
It would depends on where the Cisco Terminals come from, and or whether they had been sitting in a warehouse for a awhile or not, I highly doubt they are going to open and test each new unit to confirm it has the new Firmware. I would suppose that returned 8642's get checked and upgraded and then re-boxed. Just depends on what you grab

#244 ·
I got the newest update a few nights ago, maybe longer, when the other poster said he got it, i did. I have not really tinkered around with it, as its the bedroom tv, and I have been sleeping alot more this past week.

For me, it still seems the same, but tomorrow, I will really test it out and see. The reboot seems faster, but note, I said seems, doesn't mean it is. We all know bad perception from fact is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.