ATSC Tuners In HDTVs (see Samsung Poll) - Page 55 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

View Poll Results: Samsung Owners: DTV tuner abnormal PSIP data quality?
Never have any problems 43 43.43%
Occasional problems with certain stations 25 25.25%
Frequent problems with certain stations 30 30.30%
Frequent problems with all stations 1 1.01%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-16, 12:14 PM   #811
stent00

Default Can Boxee reinvent cable with the help of a TV antenna?

The future of the PVR in the USA. Comcast cozies up to Boxee! NOt sure if Canada would ever go this route.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3...du-apps-99#_=_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-10-16, 01:56 PM   #812
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

^^^Interesting article. I get the feeling they are intentionally including such a lousy antenna to encourage most people to go with the Comcast option instead. Draw people in with the promise of being able to cut their cord and then make reception so bad that they don't think they can after all.
Old 2012-10-17, 09:29 PM   #813
levibluewa

Location: Bellingham WA - 1.5 mi. E of I-5; Exit 253 (Lakeway Dr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman72s View Post
I have a Samsung LN32A450 LCD TV.
I've always considered myself a Sony purist. However, a couple of years ago I gave the above mentioned set a try. I had it a couple of days and back it went. Hooking it up to Comcast QAM it wouldn't find all the channels the Sony would find with no problem. In addition, once it "found" a channel and you'd be watching it would all of a sudden drop out.

I've also come to believe that there is no standard or quality control for digital tuners. They each feature quirks. The Sony...again talking QAM...you can run Add Digital Channels...and it comes back with 0 even though you know channels have been added. Enter the channel # directly, the tv pauses for a couple of seconds, tunes the channel...then you can find IT and its neighbors listed in the Add/Skip directory. Good luck with your Sammy!
Old 2013-01-09, 09:11 AM   #814
Bman72s

Default Problems with new Sony's tuner?

Further to my posts #807,809 I determined that the problem with my Samsung was the internal connection in the digital tuner. As a result I have moved it to a non antenna location. I have moved my Sony 40 kdl d3000 into its spot. Everything is back to normal. I replaced it with a new Sony 50kdl ex645. The diagnostic screen to check signal levels on it is different than the other set. When I check my signal strength the numbers for the new set are much lower. I also in general am seeing snr numbers anywhere from 2 to 10 different when checking the individual channels. I am getting a lock on all stations on the new set compared to the old one with stuttering on 1 channel that I don't get on the older one.. Could this be a sign of a defective tuner or simply the diagnostics showing differently? These sets are hard to find and I have until tomorrow to exchange it or I would just get a refund after that should I need to return it. I have 25 days left to do that. I am wondering if it is just a weaker tuner and there is nothing I can do about it. If this is so which sets would have a stronger tuner. Before anyone asks the old set's numbers were fine where the new set now sits so it is not a cabling problem. I appreciate any input as it will be annoying to pack it up, but I will do it if need be.
Old 2013-01-09, 04:19 PM   #815
Steve Smart

Bman72s

2 dB less might be a weaker tuner, but 10?

As you say, the cables are probably fine but you might want to recheck the connections just to be sure they're not too loose or too tight.
Old 2013-01-09, 05:00 PM   #816
Bman72s

Thanks for the reply Steve. The only connection that has changed is the one into the new TV. As I said the old one was fine on that setup and reads the same as before at its new one. I agree 2 difference might be the tuner but 10 is something else. It is only on one station and it is one I don't watch. I am tempted just to live with it and see how it reacts. As long as it locks ok I really don't care what the readings are. It just seems strange to have the variance as both sets are Sony. The sales person was somewhat knowledgeable on digital tuners and he wondered whether a different set would make a difference but was quite willing to change it. I wonder if Sony has cheaped out on the tuner as a cost cutting measure knowing that the majority of their customers will probably never use it.
Old 2013-01-12, 10:50 PM   #817
cocoa
Rookie

Question Condo Balcony facing North in Montreal

My mother in law is getting a Montreal condo facing north on the 2nd floor. Is there an easy to use indoor or outdoor antenna that would get her US stations? What about optics? I remember seeing a black cube which was successful for some Toronto apartment dwellers who faced north. It looked like a sculpture on the outdoor table.

Also what kind of light low priced HD TV in the 30 - 40" range has good tuners?

I have been happy with the tuner in my Toshiba and even my RCA (colour is not the best, though) and had nothing but problems getting described video sound that could not be turned off on my LG.

Sue
Old 2013-01-13, 12:08 AM   #818

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Cocoa, please see the following welcome thread and follow the instructions in that thread before posting again. You've asked several different questions on several different topics which should go in several different threads.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125161

The only reason your post was not deleted was because one of your questions sort of fits in this thread.
Old 2013-04-09, 07:49 PM   #819
frankm1960
Rookie

Default HDTV with built in tuner for OTA digital signals

Hello,
I didn't do a proper search on this topic, tried a couple searchs but gave up quick.

I don't know what to get for an HDTV with a built in tuner to capture OTA digital tv broadcasts here in Fredericton NB. I've checked and I believe there's about 3 stations here, two of which I can get with rabbit ears, no fancy roof top antenna required. But before I do go get that tv I'd like to hear some opinions on what is out there for HDTV's with built in tuners, what to avoid etc before I head out to the nearest walmart or costco in search for something I don't really know to much about.

I've still got an old set of rabbit ears I can use. Just need the tv and appropriate electronics to handle the signal from the rabbit ears.

I would think it would be simple... pick up a tv with a built in tuner, plug it in, connect the rabbit ears and kick my feet up and watch some tv.

Any thoughts or comments on this anyone before I head out the door?
Old 2013-04-10, 10:28 AM   #820
classicsat
Veteran

Any major brand set, even most "off brand" sets, will have an ATSC/NTSC tuner by now.

All of the three TVs I bought in the past 4+ years have ATSC tuners ( the first one I had to be sure, the last two a given).

Generally avoid off brand and store brand sets if you care, just to avoid lower quality and a lax customer support.
Old 2013-04-10, 12:15 PM   #821
ADTech

In the US, all TV sets sold at retail since March 2007 have been required to have ATSC tuners (or a notice at point of sale that a converter was needed). Once the stock of NTSC-only sets was depleted, only the dual tuners have, in general, been imported into North America.
Old 2013-04-11, 07:39 AM   #822
majortom
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm1960 View Post
I would think it would be simple... pick up a tv with a built in tuner, plug it in, connect the rabbit ears and kick my feet up and watch some tv.
yep pretty much that's it, but do Press the Scan button before kicking back or you'll be disappointed

You will find answer to many common questions in the OTA FAQ

The OTA FAQ is also accessible from the OTA Forum Welcome Thread
Old 2013-04-11, 01:46 PM   #823
envirogeek

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS

While testing my fringe antenna installation I have seen no visible difference in the ATSC tuner reception abilities between any of the following devices when connected under the same conditions.

1) Samsung LN19B361 television
2) Samsung SIR-T151 external OTA converter
3) Silicon Dust HDHomeRun
4) Elgato EyeTV Hybrid
5) Panasonic DMR-EZ37V DVD/VHS recorder
6) Coolsat 8100 satellite receiver

Personally, I'd be surprised if anyone in an urban area will notice any difference in television tuners. External conditions, antennas, cabling etc. are most important.
Old 2013-04-12, 11:55 AM   #824
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
In the US, all TV sets sold at retail since March 2007 have been required to have ATSC tuners (or a notice at point of sale that a converter was needed). Once the stock of NTSC-only sets was depleted, only the dual tuners have, in general, been imported into North America.
No such legislation was introduced in Canada. Having said that, the major brands sold in Canada all tended to have ATSC tuners, but for several years store brands didn't. From what I have seen, most store brands in Canada now have ATSC tuners (presumably because the cost to add it is now miniscule), but there may still be some exceptions (buyer beware).
Old 2014-01-24, 02:06 PM   #825
alebowgm
Veteran

Default Looking for a new TV, so which one has a good OTA Tuner?

Probably going to buy a new TV before the Super Bowl next week to replace my Samsung LNT3242H. Since I plan to watch the game OTA via the WUTV signal, I figured I may as well get a TV with a good internal OTA tuner. I want to buy it in the GTA and the Vendor needs to have a full return policy. Probably looking in the 48-58 inch range. OTA rich features is ideal.

So, what is your rig?